OT- cortisone shots | Syracusefan.com

OT- cortisone shots

Marsh01

Living Legend
just got one for my knee. Had an mri and it showed a little medial issue but i have no pain there (pain is in the back left of my left knee). No neniscus tear on the left side.

Got a cortisone shot. Do they help? Will this "cure" my issue or just delay the inevitable (surgery)?

I'm not sure about the knee, but my mother gets cortisone shots in her lower back every month I believe. Her particular injury is a bit of an outlier; she's likely stuck dealing with terrible back pain for the rest of her life, but if the shots didn't help, she would have stopped taking them a long time ago. She just got it done today actually.

just got one for my knee. Had an mri and it showed a little medial issue but i have no pain there (pain is in the back left of my left knee). No neniscus tear on the left side.

Got a cortisone shot. Do they help? Will this "cure" my issue or just delay the inevitable (surgery)?

Yes, had a few back in high school, did you have fluid drained also?

A lady I work with has had shoulder issues and had a cortizone shot three weeks ago. It did nothing for her so she's not sure what she wants to do next. Good luck with your recovery. Hope it works for you.

Briancuse said:
Yes, had a few back in high school, did you have fluid drained also?

No fluid drained. I suspect it wont work but holding out hope

I have not had one since Monday morning. My knee now feels almost normal.

stuckinbig11 said:
I have not had one since Monday morning. My knee now feels almost normal.
better?

The first 3 helped me. The last one not so much. My left knee is pain in my ...knee.

I'm not sure about the knee, but my mother gets cortisone shots in her lower back every month I believe. Her particular injury is a bit of an outlier; she's likely stuck dealing with terrible back pain for the rest of her life, but if the shots didn't help, she would have stopped taking them a long time ago. She just got it done today actually.

My shot in the knee also helped with my back pain too.

I had a cortisone shot yesterday too on my right knee. I originally injured the knee in the late 70's and was fortunate to find a surgeon who did arthroscopic surgery. I was in pain for a couple of months and had no other option. In the old days they would cut your knee open remove the entire meniscus and you would be in the hospital for several days. I've had several cortisone shots over the years and they always helped.

I locked the same knee playing golf in Fl. last Sept. I was in a great deal of pain and had an MRI which showed a couple of torn meniscus and stretch ligament. I did have a cortisone shot back in Sept. also. My surgeon basically told me that surgery would not help me much because I have a lot of arthritis in my knee. By the way I have what is called baker's cyst on the back of the knee which is formed when fluid leaks from the knee. Did the doctor not tell you what was causing the pain in the back of the knee.

I am no doctor so obviously you should follow doctor's orders. I would give the cortisone shot some time to see if it helps. I am 73 so my days of running and jumping are over with, and my regiment is golf and swimming. From everything I've heard surgery should be the last option.

I had elbow tendonitis. Extremely painful for a year and a half. I could not clap at the games!! Can you imagine?? Finally got a cortisone shot and it fixed it. Amazing! I wish others were so lucky. I wish I had done it sooner.

Good luck to you. Pull out every stop!

I hurt my knee playing bball years ago, the Dr. thought for sure it was a torn acl, the next day they drained fluid and blood, and I felt like a million bucks, I couldn't walk before, I was running around the next day.

I had a cortisone shot yesterday too on my right knee. I originally injured the knee in the late 70's and was fortunate to find a surgeon who did arthroscopic surgery. I was in pain for a couple of months and had no other option. In the old days they would cut your knee open remove the entire meniscus and you would be in the hospital for several days. I've had several cortisone shots over the years and they always helped.

I locked the same knee playing golf in Fl. last Sept. I was in a great deal of pain and had an MRI which showed a couple of torn meniscus and stretch ligament. I did have a cortisone shot back in Sept. also. My surgeon basically told me that surgery would not help me much because I have a lot of arthritis in my knee. By the way I have what is called baker's cyst on the back of the knee which is formed when fluid leaks from the knee. Did the doctor not tell you what was causing the pain in the back of the knee.

I am no doctor so obviously you should follow doctor's orders. I would give the cortisone shot some time to see if it helps. I am 73 so my days of running and jumping are over with, and my regiment is golf and swimming. From everything I've heard surgery should be the last option.

RE: torn meniscus

I have torn meniscus is both knees. I had arthroscopic surgery on the right one and it was terrific. I put off arthroscopic surgery on the left one and now the doctor says I have too much arthritis to get it done. I may look to another doctor. But I do not regret the right one. The shots help for about 6 months.

After my father had both of his knees replaced he was in the hospital. I ask him how are you knees doing how do they feel. He said, "I have no joint pain."

I am still scheduled for replacement in June, but I can now walk without pain.

I imagine at some point I will have to get replacements like my father. I'm just not looking forward to it. Good luck. See my previous comment about what father said. It's kind of funny.

Why would you get it done if you can walk without pain?

partial tear, acl-mcl-mesiscus
One doc wanted surgery, saw a second doc...4 weeks of PT and back on the mountain! At least 7 years ago, feeling good still. Edit: I said 'mesiscus' :)

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: torn meniscus

I have torn meniscus is both knees. I had arthroscopic surgery on the right one and it was terrific. I put off arthroscopic surgery on the left one and now the doctor says I have too much arthritis to get it done. I may look to another doctor. But I do not regret the right one. The shots help for about 6 months.

After my father had both of his knees replaced he was in the hospital. I ask him how are you knees doing how do they feel. He said, "I have no joint pain."

I had mine done when I was 36 and mine went very well also. Unfortunately over time I have twisted it and locking it up in Sept. really mess it up. I am doing OK now and as long as I can play golf and swim and I am fine. I have friends that have had knee replacements and that is one surgery I want no part of. I hope your dad is doing OK.

partial tear, acl-mcl-mesiscus
One doc wanted surgery, saw a second doc...4 weeks of PT and back on the mountain! At least 7 years ago, feeling good still.

I did the same playing basketball. Tore my mcl, dislocating the knee to the side (so painful) , partial tear of the ACL and meniscus. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who doesn't like to do surgery unless absolutely necessary. Great guy. He asked me how hard I was willing to work and withstand pain - I said I wasn't sure but thought I could do it. Then I had 4 months of extensive painful physical therapy. Was walking fine and then went back playing basketball 6 months after therapy ended and no issues since. He encouraged me to continue playing and working the knee. Lateral movement was affected but no difference in straight line speed (was poor before and poor afterwards - :rolleyes:)

I did the same playing basketball. Tore my mcl, dislocating the knee to the side (so painful) , partial tear of the ACL and meniscus. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who doesn't like to do surgery unless absolutely necessary. Great guy. He asked me how hard I was willing to work and withstand pain - I said I wasn't sure but thought I could do it. Then I had 4 months of extensive painful physical therapy. Was walking fine and then went back playing basketball 6 months after therapy ended and no issues since. He encouraged me to continue playing and working the knee. Lateral movement was affected but no difference in straight line speed (was poor before and poor afterwards - :rolleyes:)
But can you still play the piano?

I had one early December after 2 MRIs showed I have a rotator cuff tear, what they call a SLAP tear. It has been awesome so far, and I am happy to say I even tossed the ball around in the yard with my 3rd grader. But knowing me, and the pitches I will insist on throwing for BP this spring to his team, I will need surgery after the season ends before it totally breaks down. I will pop some Advil as needed, and maybe one more cortisone shot before I schedule the procedure. 6 week disability so I am not looking forward to it.

I have torn cartilage, partially torn meniscus and arthritis in my left knee. I have had injections of a couple different versions of Hyaluronan products for almost 10 years. They last about a year for me, less for others. Works for some people and not others.
It has kept me away from a knee replacement and my orthopedic doc says to ride this horse as long as I can. He is the former orthopedic surgeon for the North American Ski Team and has a great reputation.
I'm also one of the oldest posters on this board.

http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/hyaluronan-injections-knee

A few years ago I developed really bad golfer's elbow (irony is I don't golf).

Hurt like a SOB. No bench. No curls. Nothing that stressed the inner elbow.

I got a cortisone shot.

Couple days later felt like new. Went back to my workouts like nothing had ever hurt. Big mistake.

Two months later, doing cable crossovers, felt excruciating pain in my elbow...

Some people swear by them. For me, it just masked the pain and ultimately made it much worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom