OT: Could use Tech help | Syracusefan.com

OT: Could use Tech help

Dnyr85

Starter
Ok, I am not "Tech Savvy" to be honest with you. So I am hoping some one here can guide me in the right direction.

I am now signed up with ESPN3.Com and can view the game Thursday night. I will be streaming it on my laptop and would like to get it onto the big screen (Pioneer) TV for better viewing pleasure. I would like to know what is needed on the computer, TV and what I might need to buy (i.e cables, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here ya go.

37872d1122438132-nitrous-newbie-need-lots-wiring-help-wiring.jpg

LOL, thanks bees! Didn't know that I would need a blowdown tube to get it to work, lol.

so bees, youre saying that its much easier to swing a hook up for espn3 than it is for some to find out if the game is on tv??

Depending on the laptop and the TV, you can hook them up with either a VGA cable or an HDMI cable. Depends on what ports both the laptop and the TV have. The VGA cable will provide a much lower resolution than the HDMI, but I'm not sure ESPN3 provides their feed in HD. So it may not matter. I'm no tech guru, so I don't really know if the last statement is correct.

Depending on the laptop and the TV, you can hook them up with either a VGA cable or an HDMI cable. Depends on what ports both the laptop and the TV have. The VGA cable will provide a much lower resolution than the HDMI, but I'm not sure ESPN3 provides their feed in HD. So it may not matter. I'm no tech guru, so I don't really know if the last statement is correct.

I believe ESPN3 is in HD. If you have a good connection, it has a really really nice picture most of the time.

Ok, I am not "Tech Savvy" to be honest with you. So I am hoping some one here can guide me in the right direction.

I am now signed up with ESPN3.Com and can view the game Thursday night. I will be streaming it on my laptop and would like to get it onto the big screen (Pioneer) TV for better viewing pleasure. I would like to know what is needed on the computer, TV and what I might need to buy (i.e cables, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I use a Mac. To connect my computer to our Sony, I need one cable which plugs into the video output on the computer and then connects to the input of the TV (so called VGA cable). Don't know what cable to use on a regular PC, but I'm sure something similar is available at radio shack.

You need to find out kind of ports you have on your laptop and your TV to see what kind of cable you need.

hdmi-vga-dvi.jpg

HDMI is on the left, VGA is in the middle and DVI is on the right.

Then just hook it up. Once it's hooked up, you'll need to tell your laptop to send the video signal out the cable instead of showing it on the laptop's screen.

On most Windows laptops, all you have to press are Fn+F8. Fn is a button usually located in the bottom left of the keyboard. It is usually printed in blue. On some laptops you have to press Fn and a different F# key. You should see some kind of indicator, likely printed in blue, on one of the F# keys. It will say something like "LCD" or have a picture of an LCD on the key you need to press.

You need to find out kind of ports you have on your laptop and your TV to see what kind of cable you need.

hdmi-vga-dvi.jpg

HDMI is on the left, VGA is in the middle and DVI is on the right.

Then just hook it up. Once it's hooked up, you'll need to tell your laptop to send the video signal out the cable instead of showing it on the laptop's screen.

On most Windows laptops, all you have to press are Fn+F8. Fn is a button usually located in the bottom left of the keyboard. It is usually printed in blue. On some laptops you have to press Fn and a different F# key. You should see some kind of indicator, likely printed in blue, on one of the F# keys. It will say something like "LCD" or have a picture of an LCD on the key you need to press.

Just did a test run with the HDMI cable and the comp. Worked like a charm. Picture looks real good. The Tennis match looked to be in HD and the Lacrosse game looked to be standard def. I hope the game will be in HD. Thanks again for the help folks. Greatly appreciated.

Just did a test run with the HDMI cable and the comp. Worked like a charm. Picture looks real good. The Tennis match looked to be in HD and the Lacrosse game looked to be standard def. I hope the game will be in HD. Thanks again for the help folks. Greatly appreciated.

Anytime man. Glad I could help.