OT: Dialect quiz | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Dialect quiz

Rochester, Buffalo, Milwaukee.

From Fayetteville.

I got Aurora, Ill as well (in addition to Buffalo/Rochester). Never heard of it.

I grew up in a service family (my dad was an Air Force officer). Moved a lot when i was growing up ..14 different schools all over the world and the USA before I graduated high school.

I've spent most of my adult life in the Syracuse area...I got some northeast..some midwest..and some southwest. Never lived in the southwest. No south or southeast...never lived in any part of the south. Seems reasonable.

Yonkers, New York City, Newark. From northern NJ so, yea.

Rochester, San Francisco, and Oceanside, CA.

Rochester is pretty much all I know besides a little bit of Syracuse and Boston from living in each for college (and a summer job in Boston).

I wonder how some of the questions that I had no answer for helper or hurt my location but still it stuck me in rochester/grand rapids/madison.

Buffalo, Rochester, DC...

Grew up in Rochester, lived in DC for the past 3 years. Unbelievably accurate.

upperdeck said:
I wonder how some of the questions that I had no answer for helper or hurt my location but still it stuck me in rochester/grand rapids/madison.
I had Grand Rapids in addition to Rochester, as well. I wonder what the common connection is between the two?

Rochester/Syracuse. But I grew up in Wisconsin! So, I was a little disappointed in that. Although, come to think of it, I lived in Wisconsin 22 years, North Carolina 12, and Syracuse 26 years. I wonder if there are a lot of similarities between Wisconsin and CNY? I'm going to send this to all my Wisconsin friends and see what they come up with!

Newark/Paterson, New York, Cleveland.

Hmm. Brooklyn-bred, grew up in Syracuse, lived in DC for several years, now live in Syracuse.

Close enough.

From Connecticut and got Springfield, Patterson and Yonkers. Mischief night and sneakers were the two main considerations.

Rochester, Buffalo, Springfield, Ma.

I've lived in Texas for almost 20 years now and I still have people tell me I have a norther accent, and my map looks like I still have the upstate NY dialect. Interestingly, it also says I strongly share a dialect with Wisconsin - a state I've never been to.

Rochester, buffalo, and Newark. Grew up in Utica where a sandwich is pronounced sangwitch

Rochester/buffalo/Arlington VA

Born and raised in cuse, so that explains those two, while I lived in the DMV area for 5 years recently - pretty accurate!

The quiz results seem to like Newark. I guess it makes sense since I grew up in Philly and spent nearly 2 decades in NYC. There are certain terms that I have changed over the course of my life. I grew up calling a sub a hoagie, but I never use that term now. I also no longer use 'ant' when referring to my aunt. I have changed it to 'awnt'.

I have been thinking it makes me sound more sophisticated, but apparently it makes me sound like I'm from Newark.

That is what I had the first time.

Rochester/Syracuse. But I grew up in Wisconsin! So, I was a little disappointed in that. Although, come to think of it, I lived in Wisconsin 22 years, North Carolina 12, and Syracuse 26 years. I wonder if there are a lot of similarities between Wisconsin and CNY? I'm going to send this to all my Wisconsin friends and see what they come up with!

People often guess I'm from Wisconsin when they hear me talk, so maybe their are some similarities to at least some parts of CNY.

Whenever I click a link thats on nytimes.com it tells me to sign in. Do I really have to create an account with them to take the quiz? Any help would be much appreciated, not unlike a Christmas gift!

I had Grand Rapids in addition to Rochester, as well. I wonder what the common connection is between the two?

I had Buffalo, Rochester and Grand Rapids. Grand Rapids popped up because I pronounce 'cot' and 'caught' differently. For the life of me I can't figure out why it pegged Roch and Buffalo when I clearly answered SODA in the survey. That should be a dead giveaway for Syracuse! Instead it used 'sneakers'. What?

Whenever I click a link thats on nytimes.com it tells me to sign in. Do I really have to create an account with them to take the quiz? Any help would be much appreciated, not unlike a Christmas gift!

You might be able to access it using Google? Try the link that says How Ya'all when you google Harvard Dialect Survey..lots of times you can freely access NY Times articles from a google search