OT- Dino's Summer Camp | Syracusefan.com

OT- Dino's Summer Camp

Cajovalley

Walk On
My son is entering 10 grade next year. He really wants to go to this camp next month.
Does anybody have any experience with this event. like what to expect, how hands on are the coaches, is it really worth it? I know it's only $50, but it's also 5 hours total drive time out of my only day off. I was trying to talk him into one of the local camps here in Pa. He really wants to go to the Babers camp. Any insight would be appreciated.

My son is entering 10 grade next year. He really wants to go to this camp next month.
Does anybody have any experience with this event. like what to expect, how hands on are the coaches, is it really worth it? I know it's only $50, but it's also 5 hours total drive time out of my only day off. I was trying to talk him into one of the local camps here in Pa. He really wants to go to the Babers camp. Any insight would be appreciated.
That depends. You can get seen at college camps, the others are just $$ grabs. They can't be just tryouts, so they're open to everyone. Many position coaches will coach their position, pretty hands on. Combine style, at first, to get your times, which takes a bit(almost every college-they want to find fast guys) Then position drills.

If the goal is to meet, and be coached by some Orange coaches(some players show), than a good bet. Other schools will be there. If it's for recognition, better be good, and fast, as they will already have a list of guys they are looking at. If it's to hone skills? You get some. I always take my kids to a 5 day, full contact camp run by a college(grade 6 and up), but it's nowhere near you. 5 day camp, they actually have time to learn and improve.

As an orange fan, there are things that may selfishly benefit you. You get to go in the IPF. Say hello to some coaches. Maybe you get a pic of your son getting instruction from coach x. You get to see how they coach(not available to media). You may see recruit x at your son's position, and get to see how they compare, and gain some insight on recruits.

Temple and Lauren's first and goal will have legit coaches, but there are sooooo many kids. Even legit prospects could get missed.

If like most kids, he probably thought he was going to the NFL,the first time he put a helmet on. ;-). So going to a legit camp will probably be more fun for him. Maybe he gets a Cuse camp t-shirt, for one of his favorite teams. Finish it up with some Dino BBQ, and it's a pretty good memory for both Dad and Son. Not sure if going to Joe Shmo's $$ grab camp would be a similar experience. Just my 2cents, but my kids will go to the college camps, because we think they're more fun.

Last edited:
Some of the coaches routinely participate at some other schools camps. Last year I believe they were at Wayne and Bowie State. I haven't seen where they will be this year yet. I normally post that info on the recruiting forum in the camp thread.

Edit: Right now it looks like they will be participating at the camp at UNC Charlotte.

I'm pretty sure the point of these camps is to evaluate guys who they're already recruiting (in person). If your son isn't being invited by these schools, you might be better off having him go to one closer to home.

I'm pretty sure the point of these camps is to evaluate guys who they're already recruiting (in person). If your son isn't being invited by these schools, you might be better off having him go to one closer to home.
Well you would be wrong. These camps are for kids entering 9-12th grade. All the kids attending these camps aren't being recruited.

That's part of it. Most of the kids there are at a camp, like any other camp. Already mentioned why I prefer such 1 day camps. If you find a close 5 day camp(not overnight) there are enough reps to improve. Some are shockingly expensive, but under $200 is acceptable to me.

How much do you love your son?

How much do you love your son?
I'd bet he Loves him plenty... He's looking for insight, because so many of these camps are meaningless. It's good to know options because some camps are complete garbage. Some are worth every penny. Some are scams. Some are fun. Loves his son enough to ask. It's the only reason I responded .

Last edited:
I'd bet he Loves him plenty... He's looking for insight, because so many of these camps are meaningless. It's good to know options because some camps are complete garbage. Some are worth every penny. Some are scams. Some are fun. Loves his son enough to ask. It's the only reason I responded .
Why so serious. Just a little quip to make a few smile.

As a veteran of camps, albeit soccer, please don't look at it as 5 hours out of your day (and I know that is not how you actually meant it in this regard, and I am not intending to be sanctimonious): it's 5 hours of one on one with your son. It can be a time when your relationship grows more towards man to man, than just father and son. (That said, he will probably sleep in the way home.)
Also, it's a demonstrable evidence that you support his football dreams. At some point, he will thank you for taking the time, and that makes it all worth while.
Recruiting and camp trips were among the best times I ever had with each of my 3 boys. I miss them a great deal.

Not a camp I didn’t go to that my son and I didn’t have fun. Miss it terrible. Enjoy every minute.
Absolutely. I'm fortunate to have 3 more years. There's something special about letting your son go to a legit college camp. He gets to see top recruits, maybe he beats one of them, but he's still going to love going against them, if he doesn't. (normal) He may be coached by that guy he see's on TV, and may see another handful he recognize's. Either way, he's gonna know it's a big time camp, and that you support that. Only 1500 or so, of the 1.1 Million playing high school football, get to go P5 each year. It's fun being in that room, regardless of where you stand. I've read numerous stories of guys getting destroyed by Larry Allen (DLine guys) in college camps, That'd be left flying air borne, or straight up knocked out(less cool) that couldn't wipe the smile off their face for getting a chance to go up against someone who was THAT GOOD.

Cajovalley Glad you found a friend to camp with. As an Orange fan, You may have more fun than your son. But yeah, you're giving him the best experience-imo. (I'll drive 3-5 hours-one way, for a legit college camp, but I'm a crazy person.) On a recruiting thread, the coaches stopped at your school. (wyoming, PA) You joked that that they were there to see your son? You have the #67 QB in your school. If that's your goal, please DM me. I know about 1 kid from your school, but your son is young. It's early. He does need freak #'s...

Last edited:
My kids attended both soccer and basketball camps at SU years ago. They enjoyed every minute. Their enjoyment is the only really criterion. My vote is take him to the camp.

Just a thought but I can promise you the day will come when you wish you could spend a 5-hour drive with your son. Life goes by faster than Dino's offense.

Camps can be/are fun to attend. If Dino runs his camps like most coaches, there will be several actual position coaches from SU, and a number from other schools (other P5/G5, FCS, and D2, etc). If you're going purely for the fun and experience, sign up for a 3 day if one is offered.

If you're attempting to start the recruiting process, a one day camp is all that's needed. Be prepared, though, for a whole different world than just going for the fun of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom