Doug Marrone may be Fired by Jax; Replaced by Coughlin | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone may be Fired by Jax; Replaced by Coughlin

Stern

All American
Would be surprised if they move on from Doug after they just reached the AFC Title game last year. But, this is the NFL. Win now or else...

I think Marrone is a solid coach but his teams at Syracuse and this year have too many undisciplined personal fouls.
It is just amazing. I don’t think Marrone is a moron but his teams just make a ton of stupid PFs.

Marrone gave away the AFC Title game last year and its been all down hill from there. How he lets Jalen Ramsey run his mouth and hasn't put a stop to that or at least gotten that in check some shows he has no control of the team. In Buffalo he was too strict in he was bitching at players for wearing the wrong socks in meetings. Now he has swung to the other end and has zero control.

He will have a nice life in the NFL as an Offensive Coordinator for many years. But this was probably has last shot at being an NFL Head Coach if Coughlin fires him.

All hail Tommy Coughlin, slayer of Tommy Brady

Marrone gave away the AFC Title game last year and its been all down hill from there. How he lets Jalen Ramsey run his mouth and hasn't put a stop to that or at least gotten that in check some shows he has no control of the team. In Buffalo he was too strict in he was bitching at players for wearing the wrong socks in meetings. Now he has swung to the other end and has zero control.

He will have a nice life in the NFL as an Offensive Coordinator for many years. But this was probably has last shot at being an NFL Head Coach if Coughlin fires him.

In pro sports, star players have way more juice than the coach, 99% of the time. What’s Marrone going to do to Ramsey? Jacksonville would pick Ramsey every time, if it came to that. It’s just how it is.

In Buffalo he was too strict in he was bitching at players for wearing the wrong socks in meetings.

Hadn’t heard this one! Haha What!?

Classic St Dougie

Would be surprised if they move on from Doug after they just reached the AFC Title game last year. But, this is the NFL. Win now or else...

thats crazy. this season just got out of hand.

everyone too quick to move on from coaches. Marrone is an above average coach in NFL and they are going to replace him with a 73 yr old? (by the time the 2019 season starts)

thats crazy. this season just got out of hand.

everyone too quick to move on from coaches. Marrone is an above average coach in NFL and they are going to replace him with a 73 yr old? (by the time the 2019 season starts)

Agreed. One bad season and that’s it?

Thankfully the Giants were smarter and more patient than that with Coughlin.

He left the Giants bitter that the org gave up on him.

If he fires Marrone, he is potentially far more arrogant than how we think of Doug.

Last edited:
If he gets fired, his career NFL record as a HC would be under .500.

Instead of giving Blake Bortles 19 million dollars they could have given Kirk Cousins 27 million per year.
Coughlin deserves some of the blame but Marrone hasn’t coached a disciplined team. The Jaguars make too many boneheaded plays each week.
They were laser focused against Patriots and since they won their Super Bowl copyright every Syracuse lose to UConn/St.John’s/Georgetown.
They have been flat.

Instead of giving Blake Bortles 19 million dollars they could have given Kirk Cousins 27 million per year.
Coughlin deserves some of the blame but Marrone hasn’t coached a disciplined team. The Jaguars make too many boneheaded plays each week.
They were laser focused against Patriots and since they won their Super Bowl copyright every Syracuse lose to UConn/St.John’s/Georgetown.
They have been flat.
The Jags not making a move to upgrade at QB was baffling at the time, and baffling in hindsight.

That roster seemingly has everything it needed to contend for the Superbowl... accept for a QB that wasn't a total liability.

Wait. I’ve been told multiple times on this board that Marrone is a genius. What gives?
He managed to survive fighting his way out of the Bronx and he managed to sign several in excess of 10 million dollar contracts.

Wait. I’ve been told multiple times on this board that Marrone is a genius. What gives?

I don’t know about genius.

I think there’s enough evidence at this point to say he’s in the pretty good-good range as a football guy and has proven he can take a bad team and improve things pretty quickly, but he’s seemingly a bit difficult to work with behind the scenes as he doesn’t last long anywhere?

That’s my view of him, at least.