OT- Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier! RIP... | Syracusefan.com

OT- Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier! RIP...

strangely, i was in philly earlier this year for work. we went out to dinner as a group to a smaller family style italian place, and who was there but joe frazier. he was friendly, talkative, and took pictures with my coworkers. RIP smokin joe, i had no clue he was sick.

Always rooted for Ali, but Frazier was a tough fighter. If he was in his prime now he'd be by far the best heavyweight in the world...no contest.

A few years earlier post-Marciano and pre-Ali he would have ruled the heavyweight division..Patterson would not have been able to handle Frazier.

Sorry to see him go.

I rooted for him over Ali...RIP Joe
I went to the closed circuit telecast of the fight at Lowe's Theater. There was an unruly pro Ali crowd there. As fight time got closer some impatient people started to push people toward the locked doors. One person got pushed through one of the glass doors. Once inside I was one of two or three people rooting for Joe. That was when boxing was at it's apex.

I hated Ali growing up. Hated his big mouth and cockyness. Always rooted for Frazier and Ken Norton. RIP Joe.

I met Smokin Joe in Syracuse at a Amateur boxing event a long time ago. USA vs Poland and his nephew was one of the boxers. I was always a bigger Frazier fan as well.

I hated Ali growing up. Hated his big mouth and cockyness. Always rooted for Frazier and Ken Norton. RIP Joe.
Never forget being in Long Island and watching Norton getting screwed out of a decision on TV.

to one of the greatest heavyweights ever.
loved ali going all the way back to when he was cassius, but, damn, smokin' joe had game. as a singer, not so much. bad mofo, great ol' american rags-to-riches story.

i was working for the daily rag, the beacon urinal, in akron when foreman sent poor joe skyward and downward down in kingston, mon, knocked him up and down, what 8 times in 2 rounds? went to the akron armory to watch the fight on closed-circuit, joint was jammed, a rare good night for the promoter, don elbaum.

then, boom, screen goes dark, all you can hear is cosell screaming, "down goes frazier, down goes frazier!" no picture, nada. just cosell screaming while foreman's putting on a show for the ages. i thought there might be a riot.

i can still see the poor schmuck promoter, elbaum, in the ticket window after the fight giving away refunds to a line of people stretching out the front of the armory and down the street. his one box-office winner gone bust. oh,well, that's shew biz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom