OT: Embiid leaving | Syracusefan.com

OT: Embiid leaving

two3zone

RIP Shark58
sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--kansas-center-joel-embiid-to-enter-nba-draft-070907289.html

Guess this can put to rest he would possibly stay. With McGary's situation it's a smart move, wonder how much the back is going affect his draft position.

From his Twitter,

Joel-Hans Embiid ‏@jojo_embiid 3h
@humblekid11 haven't made a decision yet

Don't know if it means anything. A lot of times the kids want to make the announcement themselves and deny it until they make it official.

@humblekid11 is Cliff Alexander's twitter, BTW.

If his back checks out, I go:
1A. Wiggins
1B. Embiid
3. Exum
4. Parker

If his back doesn't check out, then he'd be my #4.

No surprise there. The dude is guaranteed top 3 pick- strong chance he goes #1. No one has ever passed that up.

If his back checks out, I go:
1A. Wiggins
1B. Embiid
3. Exum
4. Parker

If his back doesn't check out, then he'd be my #4.
I can't see Parker lasting until 4. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see my Celtics get him.

No NBA team will waste a pick on him without a clean bill of health report from more than one doctor.

I can't see Parker lasting until 4. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see my Celtics get him.

Well hopefully if my Bucks don't get the top pick, somebody will take him so that the 3 above him drop to us lol.

why isn't he staying in college to work on his game? :rolleyes:

Obvious decision. Come back to college risk more serious injury and not get millions or go to the NBA get millions and possibly still get major injury but already have the millions.

This was already likely but if for some reason he did come back, that would push Grant and Ennis 1 spot higher. The more early entries, the better for us

If I may...

The yahoo has no sources, and everyone's just piggybacking off that article.

What does it mean? Nothing. He gone.

why isn't he staying in college to work on his game? :rolleyes:

Because he's a top 5 pick. Hopefully you see the difference between someone who has maxed out their draft position and someone who could improve theirs.

If you looked at our roster after 2013, C.J. had the possibility of improving his position a bit, but in reality, he was never going to be a top 10 pick. He is an outstanding college player and I'm grateful he came back to lead the team this year. If you look at Ennis, we flamed out at the end of the year and we didn't make it to the 2nd weekend of the tournament. He has lots that he could improve on, and he is not going to be a top 10 pick. Same with Grant.

With Ennis, he's never going to be an elite athlete, but he could be stronger and a more consistent shooter. He is taking more risk in coming back than Grant, but being a cerebral type of player, I think he probably sees that he could get better, that this is a deep draft, and we could make a better post-season run, improving his draft stock. Marcus Smart, for comparison purposes, is/was a better athlete, and was looked at as a top 10 pick last year. He should have left.

Now, turning to Grant, his basketball skills are just not there yet. He needs another move aside from his spin move, and he needs to be a better jump shooter. He also has some room to fill out in the shoulders and improve on his already-impressive athleticism. Grant is not a top 10 pick, but he clearly could be next year. Ennis may never be a top 10 pick. Grant isn't going to hurt his draft stock by coming back, because he's not in the lottery this year, but could be next year.

For those who talk about the risk of injuries, C.J. already had an ACL in high school, and he still became a college all-american. The FIRST ACL injury is not the career-ender anymore, especially when kids are young and fit. They heal very well from the first one. It's the 2nd or 3rd surgeries that mark a physical decline in an athlete's ability.

Kevin Pelton had an insider article that I found pretty interesting

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10588150/nba-why-nba-develops-players-better-college

You know, the NBA doesn't have as much time for "player development" as people think. Playing 3 or 4 games a week and all the travel really limits practice time, and coaches seldom risk their careers by breaking in the players at the end of the bench. Just look at Fab Melo - the best shot blocker in college his senior year. Why couldn't the Celtics do anything with him? How much individual instruction did he get? How much help with diet and fitness? How many end-of-the-bench projects ever develop into good NBA players? I don't think it's that many. I think you have to be pretty close to the finished product when you try out for the NBA. There just aren't enough roster spots to tie one up for 2 or 3 years to develop a player.

You know, the NBA doesn't have as much time for "player development" as people think. Playing 3 or 4 games a week and all the travel really limits practice time, and coaches seldom risk their careers by breaking in the players at the end of the bench. Just look at Fab Melo - the best shot blocker in college his senior year. Why couldn't the Celtics do anything with him? How much individual instruction did he get? How much help with diet and fitness? How many end-of-the-bench projects ever develop into good NBA players? I don't think it's that many. I think you have to be pretty close to the finished product when you try out for the NBA. There just aren't enough roster spots to tie one up for 2 or 3 years to develop a player.

I think it depends on the player; Pelton was looking at guys who were projected as first round picks.

I'll paste from the article, not much, since it's insider

Amazingly, of the 14 sophomores who qualify (which requires playing at least 500 minutes all three seasons, a criterion that knocks out Blake Griffin, among others), nine rated worse as sophomores than freshmen. That includes basically all the high-profile freshmen who passed on the draft and saw their stock fall.

Although this group rated slightly better as NCAA freshmen, which makes sense given their perceived higher upside, 15 of the 21 improved as NBA rookies relative to their translated NCAA performance. On average, their win percentage went up by 10.5 percent, better even than we'd expect from players of this age.

It's just one group of players, it's not the final answer. But it's part of the equation.

That is why it is essential to get a personal trainer when the season ends. The money they are making has to go towards their off-season training.

Thanks for bringing this up. I often read the argument that leaving college allows players to work on their game full time without having to worry about academics, but I've wondered how true this is. From what I have read, the NBA and even the D-league have excellent conditioning programs, but I am not sure how much opportunity players with raw skill sets, and I think that Embiid fits in this category, get coached to play their position better. If he plays lots of minutes, coaches may spend plenty of time working on the nuances of the game, but if doesn't play much, how much basketball coaching will he get?

No surprise. I'd be shocked if any of these projected top 15 kids come back, and they really shouldn't anyways. I can't think of 1 person who decided to come back that actually improved their draft stock? I can think of a lot more who damaged it though. Embiid is just the beginning.

I would take him #1 if I had the pick. You just can't teach his size, and his skill at such an early stage of his development is amazing.

Thanks for bringing this up. I often read the argument that leaving college allows players to work on their game full time without having to worry about academics, but I've wondered how true this is. From what I have read, the NBA and even the D-league have excellent conditioning programs, but I am not sure how much opportunity players with raw skill sets, and I think that Embiid fits in this category, get coached to play their position better. If he plays lots of minutes, coaches may spend plenty of time working on the nuances of the game, but if doesn't play much, how much basketball coaching will he get?

I laugh at these players and analysts talk about stay vs go and "its my dream to play in the nba".

Bottom line is money. Thats it. If the #1 pick in the draft only made $150,000 and it was scaled down from there noone would leave college. Not one.

I want one kid to come out and say "I want to get paid" because thats all it is. Its not a "dream". Its not to "play with the best players in the world." Its money. Thats it. Unarguable