Class of 2021 - OT Enrique A. Cruz Jr (IL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 OT Enrique A. Cruz Jr (IL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

I've gotten some mixed signals on the Orange staff before, but Hildreth had some great things to say. Here's something I didn't put in the story:

"[Cruz] is the first Division I kid that I’ve had and I couldn’t be happier with how it’s played out. Syracuse staff has been first class. Just to the point where they’ve been getting me on the phone for 45 minutes to talk about specifics. It’s been an absolute joy to work with them. As a coach you feel like a parent in situations like this and it’s nice to feel so comfortable in the spot he’s going and know he’ll be supported."

I've gotten some mixed signals on the Orange staff before, but Hildreth had some great things to say. Here's something I didn't put in the story:

"[Cruz] is the first Division I kid that I’ve had and I couldn’t be happier with how it’s played out. Syracuse staff has been first class. Just to the point where they’ve been getting me on the phone for 45 minutes to talk about specifics. It’s been an absolute joy to work with them. As a coach you feel like a parent in situations like this and it’s nice to feel so comfortable in the spot he’s going and know he’ll be supported."
I believe the new assistants have been helpful on this front

I for one am surprised that didn’t make the cut in the article. That’s an exceptional quote and amazing relationship building for the staff

BurrowsSMG can save that quote for when he writes his story about the recruitment of this class with quotes from other HS coaches and how the staff developed relationships with them. ;)

Pretty much this! I try to keep these Q+As shorter because our readers don't go crazy deep into them and I think that quote might be better elsewhere -- though it was a nice nugget I thought you all would enjoy early.

I'm hoping to have a bigger feature on Cruz because his path with football is a little quirky. I'm also trying to put together something bigger on the recruiting process during Covid since it's changed things so much.

I believe the new assistants have been helpful on this front

Unfortunately some other obligations have kept me from talking to more kids so far, but the name that's been huge has been Dino. Cruz seemed impressed at how involved Dino was in the process and another recruit I talked to today said he was actually shocked how involved Dino was. He said Dino was more involved than any other head coach he spoke with during his recruitment.

Unfortunately some other obligations have kept me from talking to more kids so far, but the name that's been huge has been Dino. Cruz seemed impressed at how involved Dino was in the process and another recruit I talked to today said he was actually shocked how involved Dino was. He said Dino was more involved than any other head coach he spoke with during his recruitment.
That's awesome-Thanks for sharing that. Dino is very engaging and likable and should be a major asset if he's involved. Do you know if he has gotten more involved recently or has this been the norm? His involvement could make a big difference.

Last edited:

One of Syracuse's most high profile commits is offensive tackle Enrique Cruz. Cruz recently told us that he is signing early with Syracuse. That is huge news. Offensive line has been an ongoing issue for two seasons, and the addition of Cruz is massive. He is extremely athletic, very long and moves incredibly well. Cruz has seemingly limitless potential, so getting him to sign early is important for the Orange.

This kid and a couple of the Hawaiian kids and the other O-line commit and we should have a pretty darn good O-line in a year or 2. Josh H is loving this.

Enrique,
FC198D13-3BD9-43A8-AFE1-567E4F8CB2A0.jpeg