ot espn gripe | Syracusefan.com

ot espn gripe

Millhouse

Living Legend
I flip on sportscenter yesterday for top 10 to show my 8 year old the UVA buzzer beater rather than google it

It didn't make the top 10 - #1 was one MMA savage giving another savage more brain damage than he already had.

going right back to never watching sportscenter (unless it's cbs's fault or something)

good think you probably didnt watch the NCAA hockey this weekend.. they used the same interview for almost every between period bit for all 12 games..

I know I'm a Sally, but I hate the MMA and/or UFC clips. They only show it when it's a huge knockout where a guy looks dead, and then the guy who knocks him out then pounces on him and keeps punching him until the ref can drag him off.

SportsCenter isn’t about highlights of all sports it’s all promoting what ESPN has rights too and what is popular.
They don’t show NHL or highlights of sports they don’t have the rights too.

It’s all LeBron love/NFL/NBA/Red Sox-Yankees/UFC.
ESPN is garbage outside of live games content.

SportsCenter isn’t about highlights of all sports it’s all promoting what ESPN has rights too and what is popular.
They don’t show NHL or highlights of sports they don’t have the rights too.

It’s all LeBron love/NFL/NBA/Red Sox-Yankees/UFC.
ESPN is garbage outside of live games content.
I watch so little ESPN shows now unlike a decade ago when I was in high school watching PTI, ATH or Sportscenter for hours. Just not the same anymore.

I know I'm a Sally, but I hate the MMA and/or UFC clips. They only show it when it's a huge knockout where a guy looks dead, and then the guy who knocks him out then pounces on him and keeps punching him until the ref can drag him off.
i still feel guilty about going to a baby joe mesi fight in buffalo - the undercards are filled with dudes that hit so hard but are on the undercard because they get hit hard. some dude gets knocked out, everyone goes crazy, but because we're really drunk, we keep going crazy after everyone else realizes the guy isn't moving - it was about 5 extra seconds of hollering. whoops.

I flip on sportscenter yesterday for top 10 to show my 8 year old the UVA buzzer beater rather than google it

It didn't make the top 10 - #1 was one MMA savage giving another savage more brain damage than he already had.

going right back to never watching sportscenter (unless it's cbs's fault or something)
In addition for all the promotional videos ESPN shows, this may also involve a rights issue because CBS owns them for NCAA tournament.

It's a huge vehicle to help get momentum for ESPN+, def going to be covered more and more.

I watch ESPN for live sports now and that's about it.
i wonder if they're going too far the other way now that people look up highlights.

i wish the leagues would give us a 15 minute highlights for the day. i don't want to go through every team myself. too bad the leagues don't work together, could put one show on all the league networks that no one watches

i wonder if they're going too far the other way now that people look up highlights.

i wish the leagues would give us a 15 minute highlights for the day. i don't want to go through every team myself. too bad the leagues don't work together, could put one show on all the league networks that no one watches

No joke, the NBA is really good about putting out highlights, but I usually go to NBA Reddit for seeing highlights right after they happen.

You are right though - the way people consume content like that is so different than the way it used to be that it makes sense if they got ahead of it better.

I just said this yesterday. The biggest sporting events yesterday were the elite 8 games. I think we can agree on that. The highlights ESPN showed for the first game started when the game was tied 60-60. I mean seriously? Look, I don't need a 40 minute highlight but spend a couple more minutes and at least show the freaking first half in some way.

Again. Biggest games of the day. SPORTSCENTER. Highlights are absolute trash.

No joke, the NBA is really good about putting out highlights, but I usually go to NBA Reddit for seeing highlights right after they happen.

You are right though - the way people consume content like that is so different than the way it used to be that it makes sense if they got ahead of it better.
i don't have the energy to go through every game though - it takes too long, i need someone to curate for me. it's weirdly going back to the old days where i'm watching my teams and that's it - i get great thorough highlights of the sabres sucking forever but don't see much of anything else

I feel the exact same way about MMA/UFC. Did we really need more sports where the point is trying to hurt someone?

Last edited:
I just said this yesterday. The biggest sporting events yesterday were the elite 8 games. I think we can agree on that. The highlights ESPN showed for the first game started when the game was tied 60-60. I mean seriously? Look, I don't need a 40 minute highlight but spend a couple more minutes and at least show the freaking first half in some way.

I just mention this because of a random experience, but I got to hang out and play poker with a guy who worked in ESPN production, and the reason they show so few highlights from the tourney (or sometimes still pictures) is they’re limited to/allowed only 30 seconds to a minute of actual game footage in contract with CBS/TNT. They basically don’t have a choice to show more if they want to.

They don't own the media rights. It's why you'd see them just use photos from the games in some instances.

I just mention this because of a random experience, but I got to hang out and play poker with a guy who worked in ESPN production, and the reason they show so few highlights from the tourney (or sometimes still pictures) is they’re limited to/allowed only 30 seconds to a minute of actual game footage in contract with CBS/TNT. They basically don’t have a choice to show more if they want to.
They don't own the media rights. It's why you'd see them just use photos from the games in some instances.

This makes a lot more sense. However, I still agree overall... the show has definitely gone down hill from the can't miss glory days.

ok that makes more sense. i wish they had told viewers that!

I loved the simplicity of Sportscenter back in the day. The pleasant saxophone opening, and just straight highlights while 12 year old me ate breakfast.

If this music doesn't warm your soul, I don't think we can be friends.

I loved the simplicity of Sportscenter back in the day. The pleasant saxophone opening, and just straight highlights while 12 year old me ate breakfast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom