OT: Florida QB Tyler Murphy to transfer to Boston College | Syracusefan.com

OT: Florida QB Tyler Murphy to transfer to Boston College

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Former Florida quarterback Tyler Murphy has enrolled at Boston College and will be eligible to play for the Eagles as a fifth-year graduate transfer, according to a source. Murphy started six games last season for the Gators and will be eligible immediately, giving BC an experienced option at quarterback for 2014.

The move reunites Murphy, a Connecticut native, with Boston College coach Steve Addazio, who recruited him to Florida when Addazio was an assistant coach in Gainesville.

Murphy will be joined at Boston College by offensive lineman Ian Silberman, another fifth-year transfer from Florida. Silberman started four games for the Gators last season and had originally committed to Louisville for his fifth year. He rescinded that once coach Charlie Strong left to become the head coach at Texas.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...ransfer-boston-college-florida/#ixzz2qPY9YYzf

Sounds like a Drew Allen situation to me

Main difference being Addazzio likely knows what he is getting a bit more than we did. Not sure what their young QB group looks like at BC, but on the surface it looked like a definite position of need.

Do you think talented players who sit but don't play for four years are any better than less talented players who have applied their skills for four years in real life games? Serious question b/c I wonder how often these situations work out.

He wanted to transfer a few years ago but ultimately decided to stay at UF that time.

Murphy will be joined at Boston College by offensive lineman Ian Silberman, another fifth-year transfer from Florida. Silberman started four games for the Gators last season and had originally committed to Louisville for his fifth year. He rescinded that once coach Charlie Strong left to become the head coach at Texas.
I've been seeing more and more of this with QBs lately, but this is the first 5th-year transfer story I've read involving another positional player. Is it happening more often than I think and they just aren't making the headlines, or is this a new trend? Should we be looking for more single year stopgaps along with/instead of JUCOs to plug holes?

Addazzio has been doing a great job for BC. A lot better then I thought he would. Only a matter of time before he takes the next step up the ladder

Muschamp is another coach who was promoted before he proved himself. Solid d coordinator, his next move should have been to prove himself as a HC before he got the Florida job. Guys like strong, Meyer, even franklin who went to vandy before psu. Oregon seems to be able to promote coordinators but I would never hire a coach with no HC experience at Florida. Seems crazy.

I've been seeing more and more of this with QBs lately, but this is the first 5th-year transfer story I've read involving another positional player. Is it happening more often than I think and they just aren't making the headlines, or is this a new trend? Should we be looking for more single year stopgaps along with/instead of JUCOs to plug holes?
Call me crazy, but I'm sure there are some athletes who are smart enough to understand the benefit of another year of free schooling towards a graduate degree, while still being able to play the sport they love. I'm quite surprised it doesn't happen much more often.