OT - Frank Martin leaves Kansas St for South Carolina | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Frank Martin leaves Kansas St for South Carolina

I think that explains the overemotional postgame.

Strange move IMO. USC couldn't care less about their basketball team.

They have an incredible fan base and also here in Charlotte. Went to the SU vs. Gamecocks game in Columbia back in Jan. of 2000, SU won in OT 77-74...their place was rocking. Went with a couple of USC colleagues at the time who were alums. Even though they sucked, they nearly beat us and we were ranked #7 in the country. There's some pretty decent talent in the area and with a good coach like Martin, USC can certainly be a player in the weak SEC.

No doubt though they're rabid for football...baseball is a very close second.

And, yes, Columbia, SC is an armpit.

They have an incredible fan base and also here in Charlotte. Went to the SU vs. Gamecocks game in Columbia back in Jan. of 2000, SU won in OT 77-74...their place was rocking. Went with a couple of USC colleagues at the time who were alums. Even though they sucked, they nearly beat us and we were ranked #7 in the country. There's some pretty decent talent in the area and with a good coach like Martin, USC can certainly be a player in the weak SEC.

No doubt though they're rabid for football...baseball is a very close second.

And, yes, Columbia, SC is an armpit.
I was there for that 2000 game. They do have a good fan base and have the history to generate more support if Martin can get the team moving. SC may be football country, but it will give a good BB team excellent fan support.

I was there for that 2000 game. They do have a good fan base and have the history to generate more support if Martin can get the team moving. SC may be football country, but it will give a good BB team excellent fan support.

After the game we went to Damon's nearby. I recall a few not so friendly stares as I was sporting some SU gear...good thing I was hanging with some USC folk. :)

Martin wanted the Miami Fl job in the worst way...and he is of cuban origin so it would have been a good fit. However, he recently has indicated he provided $$$ while he coached HS and AAU so they could eat...this is going to get him in hot water...maybe why he left KSU...and maybe why he doesnt show up at usc...he made some very poor timely statements on $$$ to kids.

My buddy I went to school with is the video coordinator for K-state. Said that its due to the relations with the Ad and him not having his back. And SC is supposedly offering 2 Mill. I guess he was very upset about the way the school handled the Samuels situation. The AD tryed saying that the NCAA suspended him when in fact that was false and the school in fact were the ones that made the ruling and then asked the NCAA to look at it.

I guess its not totally a done deal yet either as they made it sound on ESPN.

Wasn't South Carolina the second #2 seed to lose to a #15. Coppin St I think.

I guess he was very upset about the way the school handled the Samuels situation. The AD tryed saying that the NCAA suspended him when in fact that was false and the school in fact were the ones that made the ruling and then asked the NCAA to look at it.

So he is going to SEC where schools don't suspend players for any reason EVER. Also all 1 and done basketball players magically have 4.0 GPA every year even when going #1 in the draft and never expecting to be in school the next year. So no concerns for APR. Good move to build up talent for him.

From a career-strategy point of view...this is a good job for Sgt. Carter to take.
He can't lose given where he's starting from at South Carolina.
And any kind of success has him in line to take the Miami job when it next opens.

Plus he's getting about a 33% pay raise.

Wasn't South Carolina the second #2 seed to lose to a #15. Coppin St I think.
Santa Clara over Arizona in 1993 was the second, Coppin State over South Carolina in 1997 was the third.

Can't recall who the first was though...

So he is going to SEC where schools don't suspend players for any reason EVER. Also all 1 and done basketball players magically have 4.0 GPA every year even when going #1 in the draft and never expecting to be in school the next year. S no concerns for APR. Good move to build up talent for him.
Does the SEC have local papers that rip their home teams apart?

My buddy I went to school with is the video coordinator for K-state. Said that its due to the relations with the Ad and him not having his back. And SC is supposedly offering 2 Mill. I guess he was very upset about the way the school handled the Samuels situation. The AD tryed saying that the NCAA suspended him when in fact that was false and the school in fact were the ones that made the ruling and then asked the NCAA to look at it.

I guess its not totally a done deal yet either as they made it sound on ESPN.

I live in Kansas and know a few people close to the KState program and this is exactly what I've heard as well.