OT: Grinnell player scored 138 points tonight | Syracusefan.com

OT: Grinnell player scored 138 points tonight

jekelish

Living Legend
Apparently Grinnell still just wants to score as much as possible. Jack Taylor, a 5-10 sophomore, hit 27 threes and scored 138 of his team's 179 points tonight.

He came into the game averaging 23.5 points...in 13.5 minutes per game.

Absurd.

To follow up:

52-of-108 FG, 27-of-71 on threes. He also made seven free throws.

One other player was in double figures with 13 points for Grinnell.

You are joking I'm assuming, I thought most people who follow college ball have heard of Grinnell, since their style of play has gotten them onto ESPN once or twice despite being a D3 team.

The 138 points, not surprisingly, is an NCAA record.

Some other dude scored 89 for them in a game last year. I'm going to sit on my high horse and say without knowing all of the particulars (since I googled it and couldn't find out any info) that the coach is pushing the envelope just a tad.

Well in case you aren't screwing with me, they are a D3 team in Iowa that runs down and chucks threes as fast as possible, and literally doesn't even attempt to play defense. They just try to out score teams as quickly as possible and put up 100+ points every game.

Edit: when I was 23 and finished up my first internship out of college I got a call to potentially be their SID but I had literally just accepted a position at another school. In retrospect I wish I had been able to take that job instead.

Actually, you know what this does for me? This kid is now averaging 61.7 per game through three games and will probably end the year at around 35, I'd think. So what it does is put into perspective what Pistol Pete did, averaging 45 per game for his career without three pointers and without this insane style of play Grinnell has.

Which just makes me think Pistol Pete is one of the two or three best collegians ever.

Actually, you know what this does for me? This kid is now averaging 61.7 per game through three games and will probably end the year at around 35, I'd think. So what it does is put into perspective what Pistol Pete did, averaging 45 per game for his career without three pointers and without this insane style of play Grinnell has.

Which just makes me think Pistol Pete is one of the two or three best collegians ever.
What's odd is that in the 60's and 70's the leading scorers were averaging in the mid 30's to 40's. Nowadays, since the advent of the 3 pt shot, the leading scorers are only averaging in the mid 20's. The game has dramatically changed. We could have major discussion on why that is.

What's odd is that in the 60's and 70's the leading scorers were averaging in the mid 30's to 40's. Nowadays, since the advent of the 3 pt shot, the leading scorers are only averaging in the mid 20's. The game has dramatically changed. We could have major discussion on why that is.
I would think increased talent and athleticism across the board helps. Back then some players (like Wilt) were freaks of nature. Today they still would be, but there are dozens of other freaks just like them.

He's messing with my man...

From wikipedia

Bevo Francis (born Clarence Francis on 4 September 1932 on his family's farm outside of Wellsville, Ohio) is a former American basketball player. He became one of the most prolific scorers in college basketball history during his career at Rio Grande College (now know as the University of Rio Grande), topping over 100 points on two occasions. Standing 6' 9" and known for his shooting touch, Francis held the NCAA record for points scored in a game up until November 20, 2012, when his mark was eclipsed by Grinnell's Jack Taylor Jr. who scored 138 points against Faith Baptist Bible.
In 1951, during his senior year in high school in Wellsville, Ohio, Clarence "Bevo" Francis scored 776 points in 25 games for an average of nearly 32 points per game. In the process, he led his team to a 19-1 regular season record and a berth in the state playoffs. He was a unanimous all-state performer.
In 1953, Francis averaged 48.3 points a game, which is an NCAA record, including a record 113 in a single game.[1] He actually averaged 50.1 points per game over the season, but the NCAA excluded some of his best games because they were against lesser competition, such as junior colleges. One of the games that did not count in the official totals was an 116 point game against Ashland Junior College.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bevo_Francis

I would think increased talent and athleticism across the board helps. Back then some players (like Wilt) were freaks of nature. Today they still would be, but there are dozens of other freaks just like them.
I agree, but most of these guys back then were guards (or small forwards) that were great shooters or could really get to the hoop. Maravich, Rick Barry, Johnny Neumann, Austin Carr, Freeman Williams. None of them had a 3 point line but all hit some big bombs.

Just saw a stat that puts this into some perspective: this kid took a shot every 20 seconds.

Absurd. Absolutely absurd.

Almost went to Grinnell before deciding on St.Lawrence to stay in state. Grinnell has been known as a superb academic school for decades. Wonder if we'll see some highlights on Sportscenter tonight.

Back in the day teams just shot a ton more than they do now. NBA, college, I would assume high school as well. Just lots more possessions than there are now. Pistol took like 38 shots a game; to be able to take that many shots and shoot around 45% is pretty impressive.

My theory, and it's more just conjecture than anything else, is that back in the 60's there were fewer games on TV (like almost none), and as time has gone on and more games have been on TV (and coaches have gotten paid more money) they want to exert more influence on the game and show they are worth the money, so they slow the game down more and call more set plays.

I've pointed this out before; but Mike D'Antoni has a rep for playing a super fast system. The fastest teams he coached in Phoenix averaged 96 possessions per game. The NBA didn't track turnovers until the 70's, so we don;'t have possession numbers for earlier than that, but picking 1975 as a random year; the pace that the Suns played at in the middle of the decade would've been the slowest in the league. (Which also makes me laugh when people say you can't win a title playing a system like D'Antoni's; pretty much the first 45-50 champions won playing a faster pace than he has ever played)

Lost in the shuffle: a kid on the other team scored 70 points on 34-of-44 shooting.

Lost in the shuffle: a kid on the other team scored 70 points on 34-of-44 shooting.

Haha yeahI saw that in the article; seems like he had a way better day, no? 34-44! Of course it's easier when the other team isn't concerned with D, but still

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom