OT: Grinnell player scored 138 points tonight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Grinnell player scored 138 points tonight

Actually, you know what this does for me? This kid is now averaging 61.7 per game through three games and will probably end the year at around 35, I'd think. So what it does is put into perspective what Pistol Pete did, averaging 45 per game for his career without three pointers and without this insane style of play Grinnell has.

Which just makes me think Pistol Pete is one of the two or three best collegians ever.

Pistol Pete's old coach Dale Brown charted all of his shots and if there was a 3 point line calculated that his career average would have been 57 points per game.

Pistol Pete's old coach Dale Brown charted all of his shots and if there was a 3 point line calculated that his career average would have been 57 points per game.

I gotta say, I feel like I find that a little hard to believe. (Also wasn't his Dad the coach?) 12 or 13 3 pointers a game seems outrageous.

He took a shot for every 20 seconds of playing time. How is that even possible?

Oh hai Mookie!

Also, the 2nd leading rebounder on the opposing team ... was apparently the stat-keeper.

I gotta say, I feel like I find that a little hard to believe. (Also wasn't his Dad the coach?) 12 or 13 3 pointers a game seems outrageous.

Press was his head coach. You are correct. Here is some info on that...

Second, Maravich played before the advent of the three-point line. His long-distance shooting skill thus produced far fewer points than would have been the case in a later era. Years later, former LSU head basketball coach Dale Brown charted every college game Maravich played, taking into consideration all shots he took. Brown calculated that at the NCAA rule of a three-point line at 19-foot (5.8 m), 9-inches from the rim, Maravich would have averaged thirteen 3-point scores per game, lifting the player's career average to 57 points per game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Maravich

Check this site out for "Sixty Cool Pistol Pete Facts."

http://www.nba.com/features/sixty_pistol_pete_facts_070622.html

Put me in the category of "never heard of them". I would hate playing on any team where a kid shoots 100 times (!!!!).

Fun Fact: In the 6-OT UConn-Syracuse game in the 2009 Big East Tournament, Syracuse had 103 FGA and UConn had 106. Jack Taylor had 108 FGA last night.

Was the opposition coach Sam Mitchell?

You may need to be a Raps fan to understand the reference.

I gotta be a skeptic here. I don't see how the math works out.

Pistol averaged 16.7 made field goals per game in his career. I can't buy that 13 of those were 3 pointers. Seems too far fetched. Also, he took 14 FT per game. Doesn't sound like a guy who was shooting 20 footers all day.

I gotta be a skeptic here. I don't see how the math works out.

Pistol averaged 16.7 made field goals per game in his career. I can't buy that 13 of those were 3 pointers. Seems too far fetched.

If Dale Brown once said it, it must be true.

Hate to bring up the Hoosiers and the '87 tournament (which should probably equate to some kind of crime around here), but lost in the Keith Smart hoopla - was this absolute gem from Bobby Knight that year regarding Dale Brown..

"As for the tournament game in question, Knight conceded that, with five minutes left, he thought his Hoosiers might be in jeopardy. "Then I looked down the floor and saw Dale Brown, and I knew, well, we had a chance." "

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1066844/index.htm

You are joking I'm assuming, I thought most people who follow college ball have heard of Grinnell, since their style of play has gotten them onto ESPN once or twice despite being a D3 team.

The 138 points, not surprisingly, is an NCAA record.

My buddy Steve Wood used to play on Grinnell, and was the all-time D3 scoring leader for some time I believe. Hmm, maybe he was just Grinnell's career leader, but because of how they play that might also be the D3 career leader. We played on the same law school rec league team, and he was just insane. Team Booyah, undefeated :) ....Wood is third from the left.

13331_518976759476_5408348_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom