OT - How does UNC... | Syracusefan.com

OT - How does UNC...

corpjet

Board Prophet
UNC seems to be killing it in the QB recruiting dept since Mack Browns return, he's landed 3 stud QBs in 2 years. They are kids from the Tar Heel state but somehow he's keeping them home.

Here is his latest "get" a flip from Bama

Whats his "secret sauce?" I don't want to hear the excuse kids won't come here as they know TD is the starter

UNC seems to be killing it in the QB recruiting dept since Mack Browns return, he's landed 3 stud QBs in 2 years. They are kids from the Tar Heel state but somehow he's keeping them home.

Whats his "secret sauce?" I don't want to hear the excuse kids won't come here as they know TD is the starter
Could be he has a title and since its home all your family can come to like 9-10 games a year

Because Mack Brown has already been a successful coach at UNC and Texas. Because NC has more talent than NY.

And with Maye, perhaps he knows he has a better chance to start at UNC than Bama.

The last paragraph from the linked article is pretty insightful in this particular case.
Also, Syracuse University is a private school, in a depressed region of New York. UNC is the flagship school of a growing region. In terms of pure appeal to residents, i would think UNC offers more.

The easy answer in all such cases is probably bagmen.

They are landing 4 stars left and right. Man oh man

I know there has been a recent surge, but they have always picked up good recruits. They can never seem to put it all together by season’s end.

Mack Brown has always been a great recruiter but his later teams at Texas never lived up to the great recruit ratings they got

Mack Brown has always been a great recruiter but his later teams at Texas never lived up to the great recruit ratings they got

The guy was 158-48 at Texas and played for a NC. Had two 13 win seasons. Had a stretch of 9 straight double-figure win totals going 101-16 over that time.

Last edited:
The guy was 158-48 at Texas and played for a NC. Had two 13 win seasons. Had a stretch of 9 straight double-figure win totals going 101-16 over that time.

That’s why I specifically said his later teams.
From 2010-2013 Texas had 3 classes finish in the top 5 nationally but their best record in that time was 9-4

The last paragraph from the linked article is pretty insightful in this particular case.
Also, Syracuse University is a private school, in a depressed region of New York. UNC is the flagship school of a growing region. In terms of pure appeal to residents, i would think UNC offers more.
Will you please stop with the "depressed region" mantra? It's recited ad nausem. Yes we're not on the same economic plane at NC, but we're not some sh!thole in the midwest either.

Will you please stop with the "depressed region" mantra? It's recited ad nausem. Yes we're not on the same economic plane at NC, but we're not some sh!thole in the midwest either.

I dont know what to tell you. I'm not judging. I like CNY. It is what it is. I understand that everything is relative.

Kids from other states are not coming to SU for the Region's employment opportunities (neither are kids from Downstate).

I've been to North Carolina several times but not Chapel Hill so I'm not an expert on that city. But I did google Chapel Hill and I saw absolutely nothing that would make me want to go to that city.

Syracuse looks more attractive than Chapel Hill and looks like it has more to do. Please tell me what's so amazing about Chapel Hill because I'm not seeing anything from pics of it.

I've been to North Carolina several times but not Chapel Hill so I'm not an expert on that city. But I did google Chapel Hill and I saw absolutely nothing that would make me want to go to that city.

Syracuse looks more attractive than Chapel Hill and looks like it has more to do. Please tell me what's so amazing about Chapel Hill because I'm not seeing anything from pics of it.

The campus is beautiful, the college scene on Franklin Street, etc is great, the weather is temperate, and the women are smoking.

The campus is beautiful, the college scene on Franklin Street, etc is great, the weather is temperate, and the women are smoking.

All opinions. My opinion is it looks like a boring city hidden behind a million trees with old industrial looking buildings (the same thing upstate NY gets ragged on for) and a tiny downtown. It just looks like too tranquil of a town.

It doesn't even have huge lakes around it like CNY does.

I'd take Syracuse (which isn't perfect) over Chapel Hill any day.

All opinions. My opinion is it looks like a boring city hidden behind a million trees with old industrial looking buildings (the same thing upstate NY gets ragged on for) and a tiny downtown.

Welp, you asked. Mack Brown can save the money on the postage stamp for you.

All opinions. My opinion is it looks like a boring city hidden behind a million trees with old industrial looking buildings (the same thing upstate NY gets ragged on for) and a tiny downtown. It just looks like too tranquil of a town.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I've spent a very limited amount of time down there. We went down for the Duke game in November. Spent time visiting UNC and Chapel Hill, Duke (not Durham though), and Raleigh (NC State to a lesser extent). Personally, i really liked UNC's campus and Chapel Hill. Both were a little vanilla, but were very nicely maintained places. Raleigh was a pretty cool, modern city. Even hit up the new Wegmans. Duke's campus was beautiful, but a little Hogwarts-ish for me and isolated from Durham. My wife and son liked Duke the most. I have no hankering to return, though I would.

Didnt notice any particular place as visually appealing as Skaneateles lake. IMO, the region actually really resembled the Capital District (forests, highways, etc.). It wasnt special in any particular way. Except, everything was newer and growing exponentially. Speaking in terms of pure economy, there is no comparison.

Too many people in the metro areas of North Carolina for me but I do LOVE the Greensboro area and the moderate sized city. 15 minutes I felt like I could be anywhere (and west or north felt like CNY) and there was very little congestion. I've been pushing my oldest to look at schools in North Carolina (western NC).

We went off the rails here a bit. Recruits don't care about the city, the economy, etc. C'mon folks let's get real. It's all about the relationships they have with the coaching staff, what they think will get them a fast track to the NBA, playing time, etc.

We went off the rails here a bit. Recruits don't care about the city, the economy, etc. C'mon folks let's get real. It's all about the relationships they have with the coaching staff, what they think will get them a fast track to the NBA, playing time, etc.
If Mack brown gets his players into the NBA that’s even more impressive.

I kid, I kid lol