OT - How John Beilein's son became one of college basketball's most coveted coaches | Syracusefan.com

OT - How John Beilein's son became one of college basketball's most coveted coaches

shandeezy7

Living Legend
Before anyone thinks that I'm inferring that Patrick should take over for Boeheim - I'm not. Just think it's a great local story. The fact that he was able to take a team this year that lost almost every contributor from last year's Elite 8 team and lead them to another division title in conference and a 3 seed in the tournament leads me to believe that he'll end up with better offers than Marist this time around.

How John Beilein's son became one of college basketball's most coveted coaches

Before anyone thinks that I'm inferring that Patrick should take over for Boeheim - I'm not. Just think it's a great local story. The fact that he was able to take a team this year that lost almost every contributor from last year's Elite 8 team and lead them to another division title in conference and a 3 seed in the tournament leads me to believe that he'll end up with better offers than Marist this time around.

Nice article, thanks for posting.

I felt bad for him last year after seeing who he was losing, and then BOOM, another division title. He is a tremendous coach.

Hey, crazier stuff has been posted on this forum... Seems like a helluva coach...

If and I mean if Syracuse was looking for a head coach this is when you jump on a guy like this. Pedigree, knows the northeast area, roots, does the job at a smaller level already. I would have much more confidence in him than those with no head coaching experience

I mean the kid has to be on the road to replace his dad at Michigan.
He won’t take over here.
I thought Rhode Island last year should have tried to hire Beilein to replace Hurley.
They hired Hurley’s assistant and went back to being mediocre this year.

I'd love to see him get a high mid major job for two years and then see where he's at, but I'd take him over an in house hire right now.
no need. You know how hard it is to win at the D2 level after all the D1 school have fought over scraps? this dudes roster was DEPLETED and he still won. At the D2 level Coaching stands out bigtime.

Hire him clandestinely as "in waiting" and start telling recruits

I mean the kid has to be on the road to replace his dad at Michigan.
He won’t take over here.
Maybe, Michigan is also a big name school with their own internal politics. I suspect that his name is on Wildhack's list. And it would be great to get him a few years at some low-to-mid D1 school to get his feet wet. I think he'd make for a great coach at SU.

From the article:
And now Patrick Beilein has added his own twists, pulling out a tattered game call sheet with 93 different play calls, divided into five subsets. There are 17 plays highlighted in yellow, indicating that he'd call them against defenses that hedge ball screens. There are 19 highlighted in green, which means he'd call them against a switching defense. Patrick Beilein gets giddy as he walks through the family history on the sheet, the circle of life wrapped through the screens and cuts of Double Quickie Potato. "Kind of making my own," he said.
Two things:
1) That's 92 more plays than Boeheim runs, so it could be too complicated for SU players.

2) That's a Cooney play.

Hope he goes to a mid-major for the next three years and has quick success, then we grab him.

Find Autry a job, hire Belein in the top assistant role and presto we have our HC in waiting.

I think Pat is a very good coach who has a chance to do great things. However, I'm not sure you could justify putting someone into that position who has exactly zero experience recruiting at the D1 level.

I think Pat is a very good coach who has a chance to do great things. However, I'm not sure you could justify putting someone into that position who has exactly zero experience recruiting at the D1 level.
You have to trust the pedigree and you can hire experienced recruiters. My bigger question for him is who will be on his staff? Does he have the connections to to recruit good coaches? I’ve been banging this drum for months but I doubt the timing works. In three years Belein will probably be some where else. He would be a go for the homer in hire because, while there would be risk, if it works out he would be here for 20 years.

no need. You know how hard it is to win at the D2 level after all the D1 school have fought over scraps? this dudes roster was DEPLETED and he still won. At the D2 level Coaching stands out bigtime.

Hire him clandestinely as "in waiting" and start telling recruits
Seems reasonable. What could go wrong?

I'd take him on the staff now in a heartbeat.
He would be a great assistant coach for SU, but nothing would change. JB isn’t going to all of a sudden start running Pat’s offense. Is he a better recruiter than Red? I doubt it.

He would be a great assistant coach for SU, but nothing would change. JB isn’t going to all of a sudden start running Pat’s offense. Is he a better recruiter than Red? I doubt it.
This is about solidifying the future of the program. Besides, Gerry will be reeling them in. Be patient.

Read today that he has a 2nd interview this week for the Niagara HC job, and is also interviewing for the Elon and Mercer HC jobs.

Read today that he has a 2nd interview this week for the Niagara HC job, and is also interviewing for the Elon and Mercer HC jobs.
Seems about the right next step. Possible he could do a little better. I could see Niagara as a good gig for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom