OT- how long before MBB follows WBB's lead and goes 4 10 minute Quarters? | Syracusefan.com

OT- how long before MBB follows WBB's lead and goes 4 10 minute Quarters?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I watched the UMD-SU WBB game on BTN replay and love the new 4 Quarters in the game. WBB had the 30 second shot clock first and finally the MBB followed suit this year.

I love the fact that the game resembles how it is played in every league around the world. I hope the men's game follow suit soon. 4 10 quarters, 5 fouls per quarter before the penalty. 30 second shot clock.

Doubt it.

After all the steps they took to speed the game up, it wouldn't make any sense to add another artificial stoppage of play at the 10:00 mark every half.

16:00, 12:00, 8:00 and 4:00 media timeouts are enough.

If they went 4 ten minute quarters. They would have 2 stops per quarter. Under 5 and end of quarter. That would be 8 media timeouts per game.

Under 16, 12, 8, 4 timeouts each half would be 8 per game as well.

I think the move is going to eventually happen.

Half

vs

End of 1st Qtr
Half
End of 3rd Qtr

8 media stoppages (or 9 if you count halftime) vs 6 stoppages (or 7 if you count halftime) if you switch from 4 minute intervals to 5 minute intervals. Which means longer commercials to get the same amount of ad time in.

If you change the stoppages from 4 minutes to 5 minutes, we would need a bigger bench. ;)

If they want college basketball to appeal to kids that are destined for the NBA, they should adopt as many NBA rules as possible.

Why not do Eighths?

5 minute eighths would be AWESOME!! Or not. Just like quarters would not.

Alsacs, I think this is a long way off, if it ever happens. I've never heard a conversation about this before. Previous posts are right that it is driven by cable advertising dollars. When it becomes more profitable, then it will happen.

They did this in early season games sometime in the last 10-15 years.

Never went anywhere after that. Maybe if it's a success in the women's game it could get traction again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom