OT - I need a ruling on backcourt violation | Syracusefan.com

OT - I need a ruling on backcourt violation

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
My son got called for a backcourt yesterday. He had two feet down in the frontcourt, she completely blew the call. He received a pass from someone who dribbled from the backcourt to the frontcourt and had established (two feet and the ball). I was sitting next to the scorers' table and at halftime she explained that my son had only gotten one foot into the frontcourt and his second foot was in the air and therefore still in the backcourt when he received the ball. (Again, he wasn't. Both feet touched before he caught the ball).

One of my son's assistant coaches tried to argue that my son didn't have to have both feet down as long as someone else had already established the front court with both feet. I think he's actually wrong about this, but I can't find the rule (because they want me to buy it mostly).

Can I get a little help here?

I believe you pretty much have it right. If both his feet were established he would be fine. If they weren't, then the call was right. Sounds like the real debate was if his feet were established or not, and not specifically the backcourt rule.

The coach was wrong though. Once front court possession is established, the ball cannot be passed to someone who isn't fully established.

My son got called for a backcourt yesterday. He had two feet down in the frontcourt, she completely blew the call. He received a pass from someone who dribbled from the backcourt to the frontcourt and had established (two feet and the ball). I was sitting next to the scorers' table and at halftime she explained that my son had only gotten one foot into the frontcourt and his second foot was in the air and therefore still in the backcourt when he received the ball. (Again, he wasn't. Both feet touched before he caught the ball).

One of my son's assistant coaches tried to argue that my son didn't have to have both feet down as long as someone else had already established the front court with both feet. I think he's actually wrong about this, but I can't find the rule (because they want me to buy it mostly).

Can I get a little help here?

I believe that you are still in the backcourt until you've established both feet in the frontcourt. So in this situation because the other player had established possession in the frontcourt a pass to your son, if he hadn't established both feet in the frontcourt would effectively be a pass to a player in the backcourt. See Article 2 of Section 23 below. Sounds like the real question was a judgment call (did he get both feet in the front court before touching the ball) as opposed to a rules interpretation.

Section 23. Location of a Player
Art. 1.
The location of a player (or non-player) is determined as being:
a. Where he is touching the floor, as far as being inbounds or out of bounds.
b. In the front court or back court.
c. Outside the three-point line with at least one foot in contact with the playing floor behind the line before the
release of the try and the other foot not contacting the line or the playing floor in front of the line.

Art. 2.
When a player is in the air from a leap (except during a throw-in) or
when a defensive player intercepts a ball while in the air, the player’s status with
reference to these two situations shall be the same as at the time the player was
last in contact with the floor
or an extension of the floor, such as a bleacher.

Art. 3.
When the ball touches an official or a player who is on the playing court,
play shall continue as if the ball touched the floor at that individual’s location.

I believe you pretty much have it right. If both his feet were established he would be fine. If they weren't, then the call was right. Sounds like the real debate was if his feet were established or not, and not specifically the backcourt rule.

The coach was wrong though. Once front court possession is established, the ball cannot be passed to someone who isn't fully established.

Sadly enough, he's also a referee.

I guess it's a surprise to no one that his son is far and away the worst player on the team.

That happened over the weekend (dook?) and they called "over and back". The TV replays verified the call made by the ref.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom