OT : if you think we got whupped | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT : if you think we got whupped

I'm mixed on this. Guys in MLB who try stealing a base or turning a single into a double, in say, an 8-1 game in the late innings are seen as "breaking the unwritten rules of the game." So if the pros can't or shouldn't be doing it, then high schools probably shouldn't be either. But on the other hand, you want your kids to practice and compete hard in games. I'd definitely advocate for taking off the press after I've got a comfortable 60-1 lead. I've been on both sides of some serious blowouts, but in almost all of those cases, I don't think the line of poor sportsmanship was crossed. I guess it's not as black & white as it may seem.

I'm mixed on this. Guys in MLB who try stealing a base or turning a single into a double, in say, an 8-1 game in the late innings are seen as "breaking the unwritten rules of the game." So if the pros can't or shouldn't be doing it, then high schools probably shouldn't be either. But on the other hand, you want your kids to practice and compete hard in games. I'd definitely advocate for taking off the press after I've got a comfortable 60-1 lead. I've been on both sides of some serious blowouts, but in almost all of those cases, I don't think the line of poor sportsmanship was crossed. I guess it's not as black & white as it may seem.

I think that's different at the professional level. Especially in basketball, where the shot clock keeps ticking no matter what. Amateur sport is primarily about kids having fun, and learning to compete and get up when they fall down, which is very different from a multi-billion dollar business.

well down 8-1 in baseball is still a winnable situation. if the lead was say 30-1 and a guy stole a base...well that's a dickhead move.
this is where the sportsmanship question comes into play. where's the line? it moves. but 161-2 definitely crossed it.

Last edited: