OT: Interesting article on Maryland heading to B10 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Interesting article on Maryland heading to B10

When will Rutgers Al be back to explain that the Maryland and Rutgers area cable providers are so eager to sign up for the B10 Network that their quivering hands can't grasp the pens to sign the contracts? :)

When will Rutgers Al be back to explain that the Maryland and Rutgers area cable providers are so eager to sign up for the B10 Network that their quivering hands can't grasp the pens to sign the contracts? :)

Right around the time igor figures out the shift key allows a computer keyboard to produce capital letters.

When the move was first announced, Maryland put on a blitz to explain how beneficial it was going to be. The bone-headed Washington sports press actually bought most of it. (Dumbest sports press / radio in the US) But by this point in time just about everyone realizes that was all BS. The only reason they did it was to balance the athletic department books. Every other factor said they should stay in the ACC.

The reality of it is sinking in as this BB season draws to close.

The best people will say is what the author said, "a bitter, if necessary, pill to swallow". That's the best!

No one I have heard have said that they are excited about going to the Big 10.

UM football attendance isn't all that good now. Its hard to imagine this spike it except for the local Big 10 alumni of visiting schools (of which there is quite a few)

Basketball attendance is pretty good now. It won't improve and might degrade.

There's going to be a personal price for the people at UMCP who did this --- even thought they were forced into it.

When the move was first announced, Maryland put on a blitz to explain how beneficial it was going to be. The bone-headed Washington sports press actually bought most of it. (Dumbest sports press / radio in the US) But by this point in time just about everyone realizes that was all BS. The only reason they did it was to balance the athletic department books. Every other factor said they should stay in the ACC.

The reality of it is sinking in as this BB season draws to close.

The best people will say is what the author said, "a bitter, if necessary, pill to swallow". That's the best!

No one I have heard have said that they are excited about going to the Big 10.

UM football attendance isn't all that good now. Its hard to imagine this spike it except for the local Big 10 alumni of visiting schools (of which there is quite a few)

Basketball attendance is pretty good now. It won't improve and might degrade.

There's going to be a personal price for the people at UMCP who did this --- even thought they were forced into it.

On the bright side, their Lax team will run away with the BiG title for the next couple of years.

On the bright side, their Lax team will run away with the BiG title for the next couple of years.

That's probably true ... but who wants to watch Ohio State or Michigan or Rutgers when you have been used to UVA, Duke and UNC?

How long can Maryland recruit well when the new ACC takes all the oxygen out of the air. With ND and SU in, the new ACC is an even better place to play.

That's probably true ... but who wants to watch Ohio State or Michigan or Rutgers when you have been used to UVA, Duke and UNC?

How long can Maryland recruit well when the new ACC takes all the oxygen out of the air. With ND and SU in, the new ACC is an even better place to play.

It's interesting that the article stated how the difference between bringing in a Michigan/ State would offset the VAs, and UNCs. I just don't think that's true over the long haul. Football draw will be greater, but what happens when they can't compete. I do believe MD will be more successful than Rutgers by a lot.

It's interesting that the article stated how the difference between bringing in a Michigan/ State would offset the VAs, and UNCs. I just don't think that's true over the long haul. Football draw will be greater, but what happens when they can't compete. I do believe MD will be more successful than Rutgers by a lot.

Maryland has actually had a successful multi-faceted athletic program as compared to Rutgers that is the definition of overall lack of success.

Lots of people in Maryland care about Maryland athletics. People in NJ care about the Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets, Knicks and the Philadelphia pro teams in South Jersey.

As I said, I think there will be a lot of fans at games from the various B1G teams at least at first. I see their fans wandering around the Eastern Market on Saturdays wearing hats and sweatshirts from Indiana and Purdue and Wisconsin. But this may not last as many of these Midwestern transplants are here to work in and around the Government, and their sport is politics, not football or basketball, and they can't spell "lacrosse". (Washington has been described as "Hollywood for ugly people". A tour around the Market Market pretty much confirms that.)

I was trying to come up with a simple analogous situation for Maryland going to the B1G. Here's what I have come up with so far.

A father allows the family to spend itself into a financial hole and they are teetering on bankruptcy.

He is fortuitously offered a job in another city that pays him enough money to live on. It is a job he is unlikely to be successful at. But he has to take it because the current financial problem has to be dealt with. He'll deal with his likely inability to compete in this new job in the future, he tells himself.

He doesn't actually want to move to his new location and the wife, family and even their dog really doesn't want to move. They don't want to give up their friends, their schools, their church, their doctors, dentist, etc., etc. Everything besides the financial pressure says they ought to stay.

Maryland has actually had a successful multi-faceted athletic program as compared to Rutgers that is the definition of overall lack of success.

Lots of people in Maryland care about Maryland athletics. People in NJ care about the Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets, Knicks and the Philadelphia pro teams in South Jersey.

As I said, I think there will be a lot of fans at games from the various B1G teams at least at first. I see their fans wandering around the Eastern Market on Saturdays wearing hats and sweatshirts from Indiana and Purdue and Wisconsin. But this may not last as many of these Midwestern transplants are here to work in and around the Government, and their sport is politics, not football or basketball, and they can't spell "lacrosse". (Washington has been described as "Hollywood for ugly people". A tour around the Market Market pretty much confirms that.)

I was trying to come up with a simple analogous situation for Maryland going to the B1G. Here's what I have come up with so far.

A father allows the family to spend itself into a financial hole and they are teetering on bankruptcy.

He is fortuitously offered a job in another city that pays him enough money to live on. It is a job he is unlikely to be successful at. But he has to take it because the current financial problem has to be dealt with. He'll deal with his likely inability to compete in this new job in the future, he tells himself.

He doesn't actually want to move to his new location and the wife, family and even their dog really doesn't want to move. They don't want to give up their friends, their schools, their church, their doctors, dentist, etc., etc. Everything besides the financial pressure says they ought to stay.

Watch who you call ugly.

Some UMD fanboys try to justify the move, talk up Michigan, tOSU, etc...the reality is the hoops situation will continue to get worse and east coast alumni of some of those mega-schools will have an ok place to tailgate and cheer their team on in football. They were ham and eggers at best in the ACC, taking away rivalries and recruiting territory will make it that much worse.

when all else fails, blame the broke program on the basketball coach when we all know football is what drives the revenue

I live in MD as well. There is a lot of apathy with regards UMD sports. I think very few people believe they can be successful going forward. Maybe it works, if they hire a FB coach with midwest roots, and can get some of the players out there. (Kind of like SS has done)

However, I just can't see how they will be able to get talent to play for them in BB. Few local players are going to want to play in a conference in the midwest. There are plenty other teams that kids to go to, and play high level BB, that allow there family's to see them play. This shouldn't hurt SU's chances in MD/DC area.

when all else fails, blame the broke program on the basketball coach when we all know football is what drives the revenue
Well, Maryland's revenue hole is due to football and was aggravated by the decision to expand Byrd Stadium to chase more football revenue.

The root cause is the Maryland law that prevents them from getting money from the University general fund. There was no way to ever balance the books in the ACC.

I live in MD as well. There is a lot of apathy with regards UMD sports. I think very few people believe they can be successful going forward. Maybe it works, if they hire a FB coach with midwest roots, and can get some of the players out there. (Kind of like SS has done)

However, I just can't see how they will be able to get talent to play for them in BB. Few local players are going to want to play in a conference in the midwest. There are plenty other teams that kids to go to, and play high level BB, that allow there family's to see them play. This shouldn't hurt SU's chances in MD/DC area.

I believe we will be one of the beneficiaries. We already do well (Carmelo, CJ Fair).

I actually think we would have done better if UMCP had stayed in the ACC. We would have had more visibility in the area.

Well, Maryland's revenue hole is due to football and was aggravated by the decision to expand Byrd Stadium to chase more football revenue.

The root cause is the Maryland law that prevents them from getting money from the University general fund. There was no way to ever balance the books in the ACC.

There is definitely truth in that... as documented by the Washington Post in 2009.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/10/AR2009091003834.html

Anytime your AD is justifying the decision to build an entire wall of suites by saying "it's a good thing we threw in those few extra outdoor seats" - you know there are issues.

I would not bank on that outcome. JHU and PSU will be formidable opponents. PSU will probably have another top 10 finish this year and has put together a few very good recruiting classes, including a stacked 2016 class.

I would not bank on that outcome. JHU and PSU will be formidable opponents. PSU will probably have another top 10 finish this year and has put together a few very good recruiting classes, including a stacked 2016 class.

Sure, I try to give the UMD fans a glimmer of hope and you go and pull the rug out from under me. Thanks. ;)

I watched a PSU scrimmage against JHU this year and was impressed.

But flirting occasionally with the Top 10 doesn't come close to making PSU a Duke or a UVA or an SU or even a Maryland.

State College is in the middle of nowhere and there are so many better places to play lacrosse.

Being that they are broke how are they going to pay the exit fee?

The ACC has ben withholding all payments to UMd in anticipation of judgement by the court in NC.

The craziest thing about the expansion was that Yow, who was the AD at UMd then and now is at NCSU, hand picked a commission to advise her on the decision and they told her not to do it. Her own people said don't do it and she does it anyway? Say what?

The ACC has ben withholding all payments to UMd in anticipation of judgement by the court in NC.

The craziest thing about the expansion was that Yow, who was the AD at UMd then and now is at NCSU, hand picked a commission to advise her on the decision and they told her not to do it. Her own people said don't do it and she does it anyway? Say what?
Our ex-chancellor Nancy Cantor behaved in the same manner.

I think the problem was that they were in a financial hole (deepening) and the stadium expansion route was the only alternative with any chance of betting them into the black ink. It may have been low probability, but when that's your only option, you might select it.

At the time, MD had just experienced the Fridge-driven rebirth of football interest. The idea, I think, was that "happy days are here again".
I had Terp buddies who bought season tickets during that period, who hadn't attended a single game in years. They wanted to get in on the ground floor of a new golden age. When this didn't happen, UMCP was stuck with the bills.

The great culprit in this is the Maryland law that requires the Athletic Department to be self-funding.

Debbie Yow left the Maryland Athletic Department in such dire strait that they were vulnerable to a "take-over" by the B1G.

As I have said previously, this is a move that nobody at Maryland --- except the financial people --- wanted.

I have a lot of Terp buddies here in suburban DC that care about the university and the athletic programs. They are resigned to the change, but very unhappy. This was a s close to a hostile takeover as you can get.

I have a lot of Terp buddies here in suburban DC that care about the university and the athletic programs. They are resigned to the change, but very unhappy. This was a s close to a hostile takeover as you can get.

Agree wholeheartedly. It is very difficult to find UMd people who like their financial situation or the move that it forced them to make. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a poll found that 80 or 90% of them wanted to stay in the ACC.

I think the problem was that they were in a financial hole (deepening) and the stadium expansion route was the only alternative with any chance of betting them into the black ink. It may have been low probability, but when that's your only option, you might select it.

At the time, MD had just experienced the Fridge-driven rebirth of football interest. The idea, I think, was that "happy days are here again".
I had Terp buddies who bought season tickets during that period, who hadn't attended a single game in years. They wanted to get in on the ground floor of a new golden age. When this didn't happen, UMCP was stuck with the bills.

The great culprit in this is the Maryland law that requires the Athletic Department to be self-funding.

Debbie Yow left the Maryland Athletic Department in such dire strait that they were vulnerable to a "take-over" by the B1G.

As I have said previously, this is a move that nobody at Maryland --- except the financial people --- wanted.

Under Armour is doing real well using Maryland athletics as if they own it . They really need to investigate how the takeover vote was engineered.