OT- "Into The Wild" | Syracusefan.com

OT- "Into The Wild"

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
Just thought I'd share this with you guys. After reading the book in like 8th grade, I have been kind of inspired by Chris.. Not so much where I want to give up everything I own, and live off the land, but he reminds me to live my life. This past weekend I made the journey to the bus that he lived and died in. Here are a few of the pictures

I made it to the bus!
424257_10150802908438452_681213451_12457320_908792545_n.jpg

Started the stove up, to keep warm,
396172_10150802912033452_681213451_12457354_894311503_n.jpg

Slept in the bed,
401111_10150802925028452_681213451_12457457_873486739_n.jpg

And got the world famous picture
431101_10150802938528452_681213451_12457559_1551175408_n.jpg

This was by far the most epic trip I have ever been on. I will be back, I want to cross the big river when it isnt froze solid.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Must have been quite an interesting trip.

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. After reading the book in like 8th grade, I have been kind of inspired by Chris.. Not so much where I want to give up everything I own, and live off the land, but he reminds me to live my life. This past weekend I made the journey to the bus that he lived and died in. Here are a few of the pictures

This was by far the most epic trip I have ever been on. I will be back, I want to cross the big river when it isnt froze solid.

very cool, stay away from the poison berries! You'd probably also like Krakauer's book about his trip up Everest the year that several climbers died when the weather turned unexpectedly. It's pretty well written like Into the Wild.

That's incredibly cool. I loved the book and the movie. Well done and thanks for sharing.

I made it to the bus!

Started the stove up, to keep warm,

Slept in the bed,

And got the world famous picture

One night last summer I slept on the back deck, in a lounge chair and a sleeping bag. The temp got down to 58 degrees. Sorry, no pictures.

I read the book. Its a good story.

But spending the night in that bus is just creepy. Did you sleep in the same spot where they found his corpse?

Well, for what it's worth, I went to HS with the guy. He was slightly on the weird side of normal, but I was surprised at how he was portrayed in the book as this sort of heroic, Jack Kerouac figure with all of these lofty ideals. I don't remember seeing him after he went to college, so I suppose he could have changed a lot, but he certainly wasn't a kid who stood out at all at my HS, which the book kind of leads one to believe.

His sister was hotter than the chick playing her in the movie, btw.

I read the book. Its a good story.

But spending the night in that bus is just creepy. Did you sleep in the same spot where they found his corpse?

It was a little creepy getting there at night. but once the fire was going it was all good. The book and movie said he died on the bed in the back, and thats where I slept.. I was so tired by time I got out there, as soon as I laid down I was out like a light. The bottle of Yukon Jack helped too :)

Well, for what it's worth, I went to HS with the guy. He was slightly on the weird side of normal, but I was surprised at how he was portrayed in the book as this sort of heroic, Jack Kerouac figure with all of these lofty ideals. I don't remember seeing him after he went to college, so I suppose he could have changed a lot, but he certainly wasn't a kid who stood out at all at my HS, which the book kind of leads one to believe.

His sister was hotter than the chick playing her in the movie, btw.

She has a website. Looks like she's turned her brother's odyssey into a career.

http://www.carinemccandless.com/

It was a little creepy getting there at night. but once the fire was going it was all good. The book and movie said he died on the bed in the back, and thats where I slept.. I was so tired by time I got out there, as soon as I laid down I was out like a light. The bottle of Yukon Jack helped too :)

By yourself? Wow, that's screwed up! But very cool.

I love the soundtrack to that movie. Eddie Vedder has always been a very underrated songwriter, imo.

By yourself? Wow, that's screwed up! But very cool.

I love the soundtrack to that movie. Eddie Vedder has always been a very underrated songwriter, imo.

An Army buddy made the trip with me.

I also love the soundtrack, I was just listening to it on the way into work this morning

This is going to rain on some peoples parade but the view of Alaskan's is that he was a lower 48 cheechako, and that is no compliment. The urban dictionary definition is:
"new-comer to Alaska, ignorant of the terrain, the weather, the animals, the culture, the necessary driving skills in the winter, etc. Opposite of a sourdough."
When the book was read in a local school class the general opinion was a lower 48 fool. Not much sympathy. About the same as the romantic wacko, Treadwell?, portrayed on TV that lived with Katmai bears unarmed until one ate him and his girlfriend. BTW, bears are one of the few animals that eat their prey alive, not bothering to kill first.

Alaskans are aware of everyday risks and prepare accordingly knowing that if you get yourself in trouble on land or sea, you are also endangering other people from the search and rescue. Foolish behavior is not seen as romantic. It is seen as irresponsible and ignorant.

Nothing wrong with living in the bush to experience the land, but you do not do it in a school bus. You do it in a cabin with a stove and fuel and access to fresh water. You know how and where to hunt and fish and run trap lines in the winter and garden in the summer. You have ammo, fishing nets, traps, a pantry with food stores, basic medical supplies, etc. You know where your nearest neighbors are and how to get help in an emergency. You have a snow machine, a four wheeler and a radio. Most important of all, you have experience under your belt. That is the difference between someone seeking solace and communion compared to a yahoo.

This is going to rain on some peoples parade but the view of Alaskan's is that he was a lower 48 cheechako, and that is no compliment. The urban dictionary definition is:
"new-comer to Alaska, ignorant of the terrain, the weather, the animals, the culture, the necessary driving skills in the winter, etc. Opposite of a sourdough."
When the book was read in a local school class the general opinion was a lower 48 fool. Not much sympathy. About the same as the romantic wacko, Treadwell?, portrayed on TV that lived with Katmai bears unarmed until one ate him and his girlfriend. BTW, bears are one of the few animals that eat their prey alive, not bothering to kill first.

Alaskans are aware of everyday risks and prepare accordingly knowing that if you get yourself in trouble on land or sea, you are also endangering other people from the search and rescue. Foolish behavior is not seen as romantic. It is seen as irresponsible and ignorant.

Nothing wrong with living in the bush to experience the land, but you do not do it in a school bus. You do it in a cabin with a stove and fuel and access to fresh water. You know how and where to hunt and fish and run trap lines in the winter and garden in the summer. You have ammo, fishing nets, traps, a pantry with food stores, basic medical supplies, etc. You know where your nearest neighbors are and how to get help in an emergency. You have a snow machine, a four wheeler and a radio. Most important of all, you have experience under your belt. That is the difference between someone seeking solace and communion compared to a yahoo.

I view him as a tragic figure, because I've always assumed that the risks he took and poor decisions he made were more the result of mental illness than any real desire to be a risk taker, like say the guy who climbs Everest and dies caught on the side of the mountain.

I was going to mention that, I was surprised to see how many Alaskans feel exactly the way you described. Their are rumours of Chris destroying cabins which were stocked with food in the area of the bus. If he had went another mile or so south he would have hit the Denali bus system.

Ahh Cheechako, Last time someone called me that is when i said it was "negative 30 out" instead of "30 below".. Im learning lol

Sounds like that guy Dick Proenneke who is the subject of the "Alone in the Wilderness" book and DVD they show a lot on Public Television.
Or for your ADKers, maybe like Noah John Rondeau.

One night last summer I slept on the back deck, in a lounge chair and a sleeping bag. The temp got down to 58 degrees. Sorry, no pictures.

Next time, tell your wife she looks "thin" in those jeans...

I went pool hopping at JM J Bullocks house last summer. Epic.

An Army buddy made the trip with me.

I also love the soundtrack, I was just listening to it on the way into work this morning
As a former NOLS instructor from AK, I salute your journey and envy your current address. Most beautiful country ever! If you have not been to BC, I recommend it as well!

That's awesome--loved the film and will eventually get to the book.

I was going to mention that, I was surprised to see how many Alaskans feel exactly the way you described. Their are rumours of Chris destroying cabins which were stocked with food in the area of the bus. If he had went another mile or so south he would have hit the Denali bus system.

Ahh Cheechako, Last time someone called me that is when i said it was "negative 30 out" instead of "30 below".. Im learning lol

In Alaska, there are hunting cabins all over the place and they are never ever locked. Everyone knows that they could be used as emergency shelter when bad weather comes up on land, or sea forcing skiffs to stay on shore. Bad weather any time of the year, is not an uncommon occurance. If he destroyed cabins he was indeed insanely clueless as to the response he might receive and why.