OT- "Into The Wild" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT- "Into The Wild"

This is going to rain on some peoples parade but the view of Alaskan's is that he was a lower 48 cheechako, and that is no compliment. The urban dictionary definition is:
"new-comer to Alaska, ignorant of the terrain, the weather, the animals, the culture, the necessary driving skills in the winter, etc. Opposite of a sourdough."
When the book was read in a local school class the general opinion was a lower 48 fool. Not much sympathy. About the same as the romantic wacko, Treadwell?, portrayed on TV that lived with Katmai bears unarmed until one ate him and his girlfriend. BTW, bears are one of the few animals that eat their prey alive, not bothering to kill first.

Alaskans are aware of everyday risks and prepare accordingly knowing that if you get yourself in trouble on land or sea, you are also endangering other people from the search and rescue. Foolish behavior is not seen as romantic. It is seen as irresponsible and ignorant.

Nothing wrong with living in the bush to experience the land, but you do not do it in a school bus. You do it in a cabin with a stove and fuel and access to fresh water. You know how and where to hunt and fish and run trap lines in the winter and garden in the summer. You have ammo, fishing nets, traps, a pantry with food stores, basic medical supplies, etc. You know where your nearest neighbors are and how to get help in an emergency. You have a snow machine, a four wheeler and a radio. Most important of all, you have experience under your belt. That is the difference between someone seeking solace and communion compared to a yahoo.

Would you give us the phonetics on "cheechako?" Thanks. Curious.

Interesting story CuseTroop.

Into Thin Air is good stuff. I wasnt as thrilled with the nihilism in McCandless's life.

I read something not too long ago (I thought it was by Krakauer too) about surviving on K2. It was the best read I had in a long time. I am completely blanking on it. dude basically hung on to an ice cliff.

Interesting story CuseTroop.

Into Thin Air is good stuff. I wasnt as thrilled with the nihilism in McCandless's life.

I read something not too long ago (I thought it was by Krakauer too) about surviving on K2. It was the best read I had in a long time. I am completely blanking on it. dude basically hung on to an ice cliff.

Into Thin Air and Under the Banner of Heaven are both worth reading.

I'll have to check out Into Thin Air. My wife brought home the movie for a class in college, said she fell asleep within 10 minutes. To be fair tho, if it's not about housemaids in mississippi, or bridesmaids, she isnt interested.