OT - Investigative report re: Marvin Bagley's AAU team and Nike | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Investigative report re: Marvin Bagley's AAU team and Nike

College basketball is a lot more enjoyable when you just acknowledge this stuff goes on and not care.

I just wish the basketball was actually better.
I disagree. It not a level playing field plain and simple. Lets admit it, then let em all cheat equally

I disagree. It not a level playing field plain and simple. Lets admit it, then let em all cheat equally

I get what you’re saying. I think Duke, UK, etc have serious machines going to get the kids they get. For sure.

But we’ve been nailed twice. Maybe not for terrible infractions, but JB has two strikes against them. How many other coaches have been or would be allowed to stay at their school if that was the case?

There is no way the NCAA is going to level cheating. It’s part of the system. It’s not a few rogue actors. It’s systemic. It’s just some are better than others or willing to cross more lines.

You’d have to blow up the system. That’s not happening. I’m fine with it as it is. Wish it were different. I think getting the top 30 kids or so straight into the pros (g league or whatever) will help, but there will still be competition for the top kids going to these schools. There is just too much money.

I watch the nba to watch great basketball. I watch Syracuse basketball because I love Syracuse basketball. But I sure don’t love college basketball.

Well, it was lucky for UNC that none of those classes was at the local Y. I am also confident that Bagley did not flaunt those sneakers at the local Y.

So, obviously, they stayed within the existing Not Collegiate Amateur Athlete rules and are good to go.

I think we are forgetting about the real victim here. Marvin Bagley, I mean there is no way he knew about this and his parents did this all behind his back. Really sad. I mean he has no need for money he was becoming part of the brotherhood that would take care of him for life. What kind of person would throw something like that away for a few dollars.

The "shock" is how many of these kids should be ineligible based upon NCAA rules, and yet are allowed to play. Meanwhile, at Pepperdine... the NCAA hammers a golf student athlete on partial scholarship for washing her car for free using a university hose, and she's forced to pay back $24 dollars toward the water bill, because they view that as an impermissible benefit.

Enforce the rules, or change them -- but at least dispense with the sham.
It should have been clear to everyone the NCAA has no guts when they gave a pass to every player that was suspect on a team targeted by the FBI.
There was no way they were going to screw up March Madness by putting the breaks on.

NCAA will say they can't find much wrong because Duke is next door to UNC and they are OK.

But--------Jim Boeheim was K's assistant in the Olympics so we better start another investigation in Syracuse.
Yup they are best friends so obviously jb set up the payments.

You don’t get all the best recruit every year without some kind of an advantage. Coach K is a fraud. His record is built on ineligible players. Greatest coach ever? More like one of the greatest cheaters ever!!!

Gee, I wonder why Duke landed the #1, #2, and #3 rated recruits for the class of 2018?

Programs like Duke cheat with impunity. I say "programs" instead of specifying Coach K, because they work through boosters so that the HC can maintain plausible deniability.

But I'm glad that this stuff is getting exposed, on the periphery of the broader FBI investigation / scandal. Enough is enough.
back.jpg

I wonder who Duke’s Happy is.

Amazing. Didn’t see a single mention of this on cbs. And espn is busy celebrating Duke and how loaded their next class is and how K is beating Cal at his own game.

What the heck were our sanctions for? An autobiography citation, a joint, and pizza money? We were doing pretty ok before the sanctions. And they crippled us in our new league trying to compete with Dook and UNCheat.

SU decided to impose it’s own tourney ban. The ncaa made a big splah when they issued our sanctions just before the end of the season. It was plastered everywhere. They suspended our coach too and took away his wins on some trumped up nonsense. And remember, we had already sat Fab. This stuff just makes me crazy.

Amazing. Didn’t see a single mention of this on cbs. And espn is busy celebrating Duke and how loaded their next class is and how K is beating Cal at his own game.

What the heck were our sanctions for? An autobiography citation, a joint, and pizza money? We were doing pretty ok before the sanctions. And they crippled us in our new league trying to compete with Dook and UNCheat.

SU decided to impose it’s own tourney ban. The ncaa made a big splah when they issued our sanctions just before the end of the season. It was plastered everywhere. They suspended our coach too and took away his wins on some trumped up nonsense. And remember, we had already sat Fab. This stuff just makes me crazy.

Don't forget that the media started their anti-Syracuse propaganda every single year in the week between selection Sunday and the first round games. Every year during the latter part of the investigation decade was the same thing. Complete and utter sham.

There is just too much money.
Well said...and those 6 words are the bottom line.
The TV & media money is ridiculous...some major changes are inevitable.

That article is interesting and really raises questions about Bagley.
But the Oregonian better stop laying off editors.
It took 11 paragraphs for the reporters to get to the point of the story!

Gee, I wonder why Duke landed the #1, #2, and #3 rated recruits for the class of 2018?

Programs like Duke cheat with impunity. I say "programs" instead of specifying Coach K, because they work through boosters so that the HC can maintain plausible deniability.

But I'm glad that this stuff is getting exposed, on the periphery of the broader FBI investigation / scandal. Enough is enough.

Good for the family...everyone else is cashing in on the kid.

Lets see what Emmerts A team comes up with for dealing with this stuff.

I think India-noplace is going to have to wait in line on this one, like they have to wait on the Adidas schools. I don't think the Feds are done with going after the shoe companies' networks yet.

And then there's Ohio State...

terrelle-pryor-corvette.jpg

You mean that same state that has produced UM's most heralded coach of all time (Bo) and an abundance of players as well. ;):)

The Duke leg-humping was on full display at the McD's game last night. K "miraculously" snared the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rated kids in the entire country. Probably just a coincidence. :cool:

I get what you’re saying. I think Duke, UK, etc have serious machines going to get the kids they get. For sure.

But we’ve been nailed twice. Maybe not for terrible infractions, but JB has two strikes against them. How many other coaches have been or would be allowed to stay at their school if that was the case?

There is no way the NCAA is going to level cheating. It’s part of the system. It’s not a few rogue actors. It’s systemic. It’s just some are better than others or willing to cross more lines.

You’d have to blow up the system. That’s not happening. I’m fine with it as it is. Wish it were different. I think getting the top 30 kids or so straight into the pros (g league or whatever) will help, but there will still be competition for the top kids going to these schools. There is just too much money.

I watch the nba to watch great basketball. I watch Syracuse basketball because I love Syracuse basketball. But I sure don’t love college basketball.

One of the interesting developments in my lifetime is the erosion of institutional trust. It’s not just the NCAA, most people see corruption and unfairness and preferential application of rules/law everywhere.

It does not bode well for the long term prospects of a civilization where nobody has trust in any system/organization. I think the mistrust is largely well placed - and is an indicator that the US currently has the worst political and cultural elites in our history.

At some point, these systems are going to be blown up - it’s a matter of if it’s done in a controlled and organized fashion by the organizational leaders, or haphazardly and with massive collateral damage by revolutionaries.