OT - Jameis out for FULL game against Clemson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Jameis out for FULL game against Clemson

retro44 said:
Instead of apologizing to woman who he might have offended he apologized to his teammates,coaches and to his fans.
I'm tired of everyone being offended for everything. In my opinion, the only reason to be offended by this is if you're offended by swearing - in which case good luck getting through life in 2014. His comments are no more offensive to women than if he yelled "kick him in the balls" would be offensive to men. I understand there being a cumulative effect to everything and this being the straw that broke the camels back, but the whole "offended" angle is seriously overblown here.

Last edited:
Was talking to a UT Alum yesterday who said "Thank God social media wasn't around like this when Peyton Manning was in college". I'm pretty sure most people here think he is the epitome of professionalism and decency in football. However, in college he got in trouble because the female trainer was checking out something on his backside and allegedly, he just straight up, in the nude, leaned back on purpose and sat/rubbed on her face and laughed.

Now Jameis has had his issues, no doubt, but given the transgressions we've had by some of our basketball players, maybe people should step off their high horse when it comes to Winston. If you judge all 18-23 year old kids just as harshly, then, by all means, do your thing.
Surely you are not dismissing or condoning either behavior? Decisions and actions have consequences that is part of life for all of us including highly coddled college athletes. When coaches and admins decide not to tolerate it the conduct will change.

I'm tired of everyone being offended for everything. In my opinion, the only reason to be offended by this is if you're offended by swearing - in which case good luck getting through life in 2014. His comments are no more offensive to women than if he yelled "kick him in the balls" would be offensive to men. I understand there being a cumulative effect to everything and this being the stew that broke the camels back, but the whole "offended" angle is seriously overblown here.
Go explain your position to your mother and come back and tell us what she thinks.

Surely you are not dismissing or condoning either behavior? Decisions and actions have consequences that is part of life for all of us including highly coddled college athletes. When coaches and admins decide not to tolerate it the conduct will change.
Oh, absolutely not, but this action in a vacuum, I don't think is a big deal but with his past problems and the NFL issues, people are going nuts about it.

I just hope people realize they are throwing stones in a glass house.

Go explain your position to your mother and come back and tell us what she thinks.
These guys are 18-23 years old. How do you think our players talk about women? The only difference is we don't have any Heisman winners who stand on tables and yell it.

Lits44 said:
I'm tired of everyone being offended for everything. In my opinion, the only reason to be offended by this is if you're offended by swearing - in which case good luck getting through life in 2014. His comments are no more offensive to women than if he yelled "kick him in the balls" would be offensive to men. I understand there being a cumulative effect to everything and this being the stew that broke the camels back, but the whole "offended" angle is seriously overblown here.

Personally, I'm not offended by it. I just think he's an idiot.

He's not going to jail. But he might make less money someday. At 18-23 years old, with so much in front of you, you're old enough to know when not to be an idiot. People act like he's 13 and couldn't possibly know better! He's just a college kid! Bar gets set lower every year.

Can't blame an NFL team if they don't jump at the chance to get him. What happens when he has millions of our $ at his disposal? That's what I'd worry about if I were an NFL owner thinking about the most important position on my football team. All the PC, free speech stuff aside, that's their right.

CusefanATL said:
What does that even mean? He was standing stage left as opposed to stage back right? He was standing on a booth as opposed to a chair? How in the world would that change the suspension?
It's just like the new evidence in Ray rice case that actually told us nothing new at all

These guys are 18-23 years old. How do you think our players talk about women? The only difference is we don't have any Heisman winners who stand on tables and yell it.
The minute you have the privilege to put on your school's uniform, in any sport, you take on additional responsibility and are (rightfully) held to a higher standard of behavior. What he did is vulgar by any standard. If your daughter was a student in that student hall she should not have to listen to some jock goon yell such a profanity. Period.

Just the state censoring speech again. Lefties rejoice.
I am certain Patrick Henry would not be happy.

The minute you have the privilege to put on your school's uniform, in any sport, you take on additional responsibility and are (rightfully) held to a higher standard of behavior. What he did is vulgar by any standard. If your daughter was a student in that student hall she should not have to listen to some jock goon yell such a profanity. Period.
And back in the sorority with the girl's, those most "offended" will use the same language.

Big difference between locker room chatter and standing on a table in the student union and shouting it.

Emory Parker, former beat writer for FSU doesn't think that Jameis will ever play for the 'Noles again and says there is a bigger story coming.

Like I said earlier, where there's smoke, there's fire -- no one gets suspended for yelling a stupid internet meme.

That sounds too much like boys will be boys to me. The funny thing is, sometimes if you tell a man that your expectation is that he should be better than that, they will be.

I think there should be more stone throwing at the 18-23 year old male demo. Somehow it's become expected that it's completely permissible for men of that age group to be ignorant, sexist, crude and selfish. We can decide to demand better and see how many rise to the challenge. Acknowledging our own failures and choosing not to throw stones because of it doesn't help to elevate anyone, it just helps us to feel less guilty about our own mistakes and permits others to do the same dumb things without the guiding voice and wisdom of our own regret.

That sounds too much like boys will be boys to me. The funny thing is, sometimes if you tell a man that your expectation is that he should be better than that, they will be.

I think there should be more stone throwing at the 18-23 year old male demo. Somehow it's become expected that it's completely permissible for men of that age group to be ignorant, s e xist, crude and selfish. We can decide to demand better and see how many rise to the challenge. Acknowledging our own failures and choosing not to throw stones because of it doesn't help to elevate anyone, it just helps us to feel less guilty about our own mistakes and permits others to do the same dumb things without the guiding voice and wisdom of our own regret.
It's not just men. Women are exactly the same as dudes these days in this instance. Crudeness, sexuality etc.

Emory Parker, former beat writer for FSU doesn't think that Jameis will ever play for the 'Noles again and says there is a bigger story coming.

Like I said earlier, where there's smoke, there's fire -- no one gets suspended for yelling a stupid internet meme.

It will be really interesting to see how things shake out. I wonder what else might come to light.

Capt. Tuttle said:
Just the state censoring speech again. Lefties rejoice. I am certain Patrick Henry would not be happy.

That's an interesting yet cuckoo take.

If we live in a world where it's considered socially unacceptable to stand up on a table in front of a group of people and scream FHRIHP, then we might as well start speaking Russian.

Again, I'm not offended but I find playing the free speech card amusing. As if this situation is what the Founding Fathers envisioned.

longislandcuse said:
It's not just men. Women are exactly the same as dudes these days in this instance. Crudeness, s e xuality etc.

And I would imagine any female student athlete that did it would also serve a one game suspension. That's all that has happened here.

Jameis is held to a higher standard. Maybe that's unfair but he can cry about it in a bath of millions of dollar bills someday. So no one should feel all that bad.

And I would imagine any female student athlete that did it would also serve a one game suspension. That's all that has happened here.

Jameis is held to a higher standard. Maybe that's unfair but he can cry about it in a bath of millions of dollar bills someday. So no one should feel all that bad.
I doubt it. If that was a no name athlete, no one would care. It blew up because its Jameis Winston, but yes I agree with your last statement.

Crusty said:
Already talked to her about this. My mother isn't as uber sensitive about stupid things that have no impact on her like the rest of our society apparently.