OT Jenna Caira left off the first team All-Big East | Syracusefan.com

OT Jenna Caira left off the first team All-Big East

dasher

Hoops Inside Info Guru
softball team. Jenna was last years pitcher of the year. Oddly, she was on the second team with the other first team all League pitcher from last year. Step Watts and Veronica Grant were first team all league. Stacy Kuwik made third team. I wonder if the Big East coaches had one game to win, who they would want pitching for them? Maybe the pitcher who won the last two playoff MVP awards. Just a guess.

A nice little kick to SU's butt as we head out the door. F the BE.

A nice little kick to SU's butt as we head out the door. F the BE.
well, they did take two other girls on the first team and another on the 3rd team.

She's the starter on the Canadian National team (who have beaten the US twice in a row now), is the main reason SU has been ranked and came in third in the league, beat Michigan, North Carolina and Baylor, and she's 2nd team??? Oh, and she's hot. Forgot about that.

Jenna was 1-1 face to face with Winter this year. SU made three errors in Jen's 4-3 loss where UND won on a bunt that scored two runs.

The tale of the tape

7193073.jpeg

Laura Winter 6-1, born April 20, 1992, Sophomore San Diego, CA Weight ? (ladies never tell)

headshot_1_Ciara_SB.jpg

Eujenna Afrodite Caira 5-9, Born in April 1989, Senior Toronto, Ontario Canada

In the SU 3-2 win at South Bend here are the pitching lines

Notre Dame Winter
ip h r er bb so ab bf np
8.0 10 3 3 0 3 34 35 102

Syracuse Caira
ip h r er bb so ab bf np
8.0 2 2 1 3 3 27 32 125

In the 4-3 loss here are the pitching lines

Notre Dame Winter

ip h r er bb so ab bf np
7.0 7 3 3 0 9 28 28 97

Syracuse CAIRA
ip h r er bb so ab bf np
6.2 4 4 3 3 6 27 31 100

On the year Jenna was 25-6 in 38 appearences with two no hitters a 1.53 ERA, 19 complete games, 206.1 innings pitched, 1 save, gave up 113 hits, allowed 63 runs of which 45 were earned, had 258 K's, 84 BB's, hit 14 batters, had 39 wild pitches and opponents hit .156 against her. Jen's fielding % is .972% her sba% is .875 Has four career no hitters.

Laura Winter has a higher ERA 1.84, had two more losses, 25-8, had 39 appearences, has 23 complete games (4 more than Jen), 217 innings pitched, 3 saves, gave up 54 more hits (167), 69 runs of which 57 were earned, had 9 less K's (249), but had just an amazing 19 walks (65 less than Jennna), hit 8 batters, had only 3 wild pitches (36 less), but opponents hit .205 against her that's 49 points higher than batters hit against Caira. Winter's fielding is .864% fielding .108% worse than Jenna. Her SBA% is .786

someone needs to explain to me how Veronica Grant made first team with one HR and and .265 batting average, while Larissa daniels, with a .365 batting average and 8 home runs, didn't make any of the three all league teams.

someone needs to explain to me how Veronica Grant made first team with one HR and and .265 batting average, while Larissa daniels, with a .365 batting average and 8 home runs, didn't make any of the three all league teams.
Daniels missed the last three games of the season but that shouldn't be held against her.

Just some added incentive to win the Big East tourney.
Exactly.

Both pitchers have their strengths but like someone said who would you want pitching for the championship? Jen is 5 and 1 in her first three Big East Tournaments, the one loss coming in her freshman season. She is 2-0 in championship games and has only allowed 5 runs in the five wins.

OE you seem to be pretty in tune w/the softball program...any local kids being recruited by SU? That Mascari (Westhill) kid seems like a pretty good hitter.

9533642-large.jpg

Lindsey Larkin from Fulton is coming here in the fall. She is a lefthanded pitcher and will walk on. Leigh Ross is looking at her as a lefthanded relief pitcher. She hasn't been promised anything but a chance to compete. Other than that I'm not aware of any locals being looked at.

SU Looks For Third Straight Title

Games are going on now

Click here

Like I said, I'm not aware of, doesn't mean they aren't looking at someone.

Gotcha. The program is taking off no doubt and I'd love to see some of the local kids get a chance at this, thanks for the info.

Gotcha. The program is taking off no doubt and I'd love to see some of the local kids get a chance at this, thanks for the info.
SU softball has clinics where they get to check out talent. Last fall there were girls from all over the northeast. It's much like SU football camps where SU has kids in who they are interested in, or kids who are interested in SU. It's like a tryout. The locals, if they have the goods and are interested in SU will make themselves known. Sunday there were girls from 8th grade on taking in the action. Most dream of playing for Syracuse. I sat with a family whose grand-daughter is a pitcher. They were conflicted, watch Jenna finish her no hit attempt and meet her afterwards or get the granddaughter to her traveling teams practice & picture day.

Fortunately, the game moved along fast enough where she got to see the ending but unfortunately didn't have time to meet Jen.

What I'm taking away from this tale of the tape is a great big smile on my face, because Caira's middle name is Afrodite and it's making me picture a Greek goddess picking out her sweet, sweet 'fro in some blaxploitation movie.

V Grant with unreal base running blunder. Orange lose 2-1 Grant leads off last of 7 with a hit. L daniels bunt single and Grant gets picked off second.

V Grant with unreal base running blunder. Orange lose 2-1 Grant leads off last of 7 with a hit. L daniels bunt single and Grant gets picked off second.
Yup, tying run in scoring position, winning run at first with no outs, the heart of the lineup and she got caught making a wide turn around 2b. St. John's executed the run down perfectly, with the 1b-man running across the diamond faking, faking and making one throw to the catcher covering 3b after Grant committed & applying the tag.

SU has come from behind in the 7th, 5 times. Today it just didn't happen. Jen didn't have her 'A' stuff and we allowed the leading hitter for St John's to reach first 5 of the 7 innings by walks & one hbp. Wild pitches, hbp balls helped do us in. We out hit the Johnnies 7 to 3. The Daniels sisters made 4 outstanding plays in left & right or it could have been worse.

Now SU has to hold their breaths and hope to get an at-large berth with a 40-14 record. It won't help losing in the first round of the BET to the 6th seed. Normally 40 wins is the magic number but we are a northern team & you never know what the committee will do.

Yup, tying run in scoring position, winning run at first with no outs, the heart of the lineup and she got caught making a wide turn around 2b. St. John's executed the run down perfectly, with the 1b-man running across the diamond faking, faking and making one throw to the catcher covering 3b after Grant committed & applying the tag.

SU has come from behind in the 7th, 5 times. Today it just didn't happen. Jen didn't have her 'A' stuff and we put the leading hitter on first 5 of the 7 innings. Wild pitches, hbp balls helped do us in. We out hit the Johnnies 7 to 3. The Daniels sisters made 4 outstanding plays in left & right or it could have been worse.

Now SU has to hold their breaths and hope to get an at-large berth with a 40-14 record. It won't help losing in the first round of the BET to the 6th seed. Normally 40 wins is the magic number but we are a northern team & you never know what the committee will do.

They don't have to hold their breath. They are a stone cold lock. Teams with an RPI of 21 and 40 wins don't get left out. Not to mention the huge OOC wins early in the season against tourney teams.

Not sure they're a lock at this point. That loss is a killer. All they needed to do was beat a St. John's team that got absolutely obliterated by a mediocre LIU team, split with Fairleigh Ridiculous, and has a number of god-awful losses and they couldn't get it done. A win and they're a lock for a bid. A loss and they're still probably in but they could very well be left out in favor of a mid-level SEC or Pac-12 school.

There are 5 Big East teams inside the Top 30 in the NCAA's RPI. Louisville, Notre Dame, Syracuse, South Florida and DePaul. I'm not sure there have ever been this many good teams in the conference.

Syracuse will take a major hit losing to St. John's, who was 116. South Florida's loss won't hurt them too much - DePaul is good. Will the Big East get five teams in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom