Ot: junior seau | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ot: junior seau

The Chargers have officially released a statement. If it's not on ESPN.com soon, something is severely wrong with that company.

Edit: NFL Network is officially reporting it now, too.

I'd be lying if i said i didn't immediately think of concussions and steroids.

Shooting himself in the chest preserved his brain for testing. I wonder if that was intentional on his part.

Shooting himself in the chest preserved his brain for testing. I wonder if that was intentional on his part.

Definitely intentional imo, hes not the first one to do it and sadly hes probably not the last

TMZ shares your suspicion. They mentioned that former Bear Dave Duerson, who killed himself a couple years ago, left a note donating his brain to science for studies on the effects of concussions so this could very well be similar. Duerson also shot himself in the chest.

To all panning ESPN for not taking so long putting the news on the air/online-

You have to understand that ESPN can't just say "TMZ is reporting" and run with it, especially with the number of death hoaxes that pop up now and then. Imagine what would happen if ESPN reported that information and Seau WASN'T dead? That's a big ethical/moral/legal/financial/reputation/ego/PR problem.

While the information is available, ESPN has to do their own confirmation before they can run with it. With news this big (a legendary player dead from gun violence), it's likely that getting information confirmed was incredibly difficult- All information is probably being controlled by one or two people. And the attention of those one or two people is being demanded by dozen of outlets. Hence the delay.

This is only speculation. But in my 2-plus years of news producing, I ran with a story once that contained unconfirmed information from another journalistic-source. It's just something you're trained not to do, especially with something this big.

Tmz=the coroner, they never get these things wrong and are the first ones to find out in modt cases

Tmz=the coroner, they never get these things wrong and are the first ones to find out in modt cases

You're right. They correctly broke the Michael Jackson death, as well as others. But that's not the way news works. You only go off the word of someone on the scene or who has knowledge of the situation.

You're right. They correctly broke the Michael Jackson death, as well as others. But that's not the way news works. You only go off the word of someone on the scene or who has knowledge of the situation.

I get what your saying and i agree, my only issue is...when did espn become so concerned about reporting things with a ton of confirmation? If they piggybacked other places and it was wrong people wouldnt get on espn ya no?...regarless, thats not important rip junior

when did espn become so concerned about reporting things with a ton of confirmation? If they piggybacked other places and it was wrong people wouldnt get on espn ya no?

Well, people would be all over ESPN for just about anything- whether they're Right, wrong, or indifferent.

But there's a new mantra among working journalists- People won't remember if you break the story first, but they will remember if you break it wrong.

So we have a tragic death and people are pining about why one news organization didn't beat others in reporting it? Wow. Prayers to his family and friends.

So we have a tragic death and people are pining about why one news organization didn't beat others in reporting it? Wow. Prayers to his family and friends.

And FWIW, it's on the front page of ESPN.com with a full story and video.

One can be sad about his death, pray for his family, and still talk about the coverage of it. Multi-tasking. It's certainly a sad story, but life goes on, and media coverage is something this country completely obsesses about.

Very sad but very selfish. 3 kids and he does this? Maybe he did have some post football life concussion issues and maybe that screwed him up but I just cant even fathom leaving my kids with something like this to have to remember for the rest of their lives.

Wrong in so many ways.

BTW: I totally understand why she is so distraught, but why didn't someone from Seau's family pull his mother away from the camera's? She is not in a place she could really speak... This is hard to watch...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7883058

I guess Gottlieb is getting a ton of grief for playing the 12 second clip of Juniors GF addressing the media outside their house.

One of the all time bad asses in the NFL and one of my favorite players. He'll be missed. Sad, sad story.

Chargers Death List

Junior Seau 42 death suicide May 2. 2012

Lew Bush, LB, 42, December 2011, apparent heart attack

Shawn Lee, DT, 44, February 2011, heart attack

Chris Mims, DE, 38, October 2008, enlarged heart

Curtis Whitley, C, 39, May 2008, drug overdose

Doug Miller, LB, 28, July 1998, lightning strike

Rodney Culver, RB, 26, May 1996, in ValuJet crash, with his wife, Karen

David Griggs, LB, 28, July 1995, automobile accident

So sad for Juniors mom, ex-wife & three innocent children