OT(?): Jury Awards Ped State Whistleblower $7 Mil. | Syracusefan.com

OT(?): Jury Awards Ped State Whistleblower $7 Mil.

Symphony Steve

All American
ESPN just reported it:

"BELLEFONTE, Pa. -- A jury awarded a former Penn State assistant football coach $7.3 million in damages Thursday, finding the university defamed him after it became public that his testimony helped prosecutors charge Jerry Sandusky with child molestation."

He might get even more money for having lost his coaching job.

ESPN just reported it:

"BELLEFONTE, Pa. -- A jury awarded a former Penn State assistant football coach $7.3 million in damages Thursday, finding the university defamed him after it became public that his testimony helped prosecutors charge Jerry Sandusky with child molestation."

He might get even more money for having lost his coaching job.
The only person in that whole mess that actually did something. It cost him a lot more than the money he is getting.

Effectively blackballed from his profession for 5 years. Jury took only 4 hours to deliberate.

I was once on a jury determining an award. Much much smaller than this, basically a pittance. Took us two days.

Yes, unless personal injury.

This is essentially personal injury. It is a dignatory tort. In Pa, likely no tax but attorney gets 1/3 plus fees. However, each state may be different

Was about to say the same thing... He's the only one who can walk with his head high

Disagree. Not kicking Sandusky's ass when he saw him raping a child eliminates McQueary's chance to hold his head high.

Last edited:
I still think Penn State should be shut down but IMO McQueary deserves nothing.

How was his career effected personally? He went from a recruiting assistant when he reported the incident in 2001 to a football coach from 2004-2011. So Penn State promoted him after whistle blowing. In addition he was free to find a better job anytime from 2004-2011 where they were not covering up child rape. He chose to stay. Or more likely he wasn't in demand.

Sure he can't get a job now but there are other former Penn State coaches who have had their careers hurt as well. Tom Bradley would be a HC by now if not for Penn State being a cult. Is he due damages?

This is all on top of the fact that McQueary saw Sandusky hanging around for YEARS after he said something. He had plenty of chances to follow up again with Penn State or to go above their heads to the police and NEVER did.

I am glad that Penn State is suffering though.

Disagree. Not kicking Sandusky's ass when he saw him raping a child eliminates McQueary's chance to hold his head high.

Penn St would have fired him for hitting an old man and the world would have never known about the evils that happened there.

I would have liked to see it, but who knows how anyone would react in a similar situation, he did go to the authorities.

I would have liked to see it, but who knows how anyone would react in a similar situation, he did go to the authorities.

If he wasn't going to punch Sandysky, the VERY least he should have done is tell him, "I'm calling the police right now." He didn't. He was only interested in his career.

If he wasn't going to punch Sandysky, the VERY least he should have done is tell him, "I'm calling the police right now." He didn't. He was only interested in his career.

He should have called the cops for sure, I am not defending him, just saying who knows how a person reacts when they are in a situation like that.

We don't know if he was thinking about his career at that moment, maybe he just panicked.

This was way above him, this is on Paterno, the Penn St admin, and the Police who decided that Penn St football was more important than the well being of children.
But if he went to the police, he would have been a target.

Most disgusting program in sports.

Lots of competition just in the FB rapey department, but admittedly at least the women who are reputedly raped by numerous universities'
FB players are of age. Even if freshmen, they are likely at least 17. Not 10 year olds or so like at Ped State.

So yeah, agreed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom