OT: Kickoff Line Moving Up? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Kickoff Line Moving Up?

Making Special Teams that much more irrelevant. Before you know it, punt returns will have to be a mandatory fair catch.

Wasn't the kickoff line the 35 for a long time in college football, up through the 90s I think?

As a team who struggles to kick off into the end zone, and struggles to cover said kickoffs that don't go into the end zone, I welcome this rule change.

If I were one of our opponents I would strongly oppose.

Wasn't the kickoff line the 35 for a long time in college football, up through the 90s I think?

As a team who struggles to kick off into the end zone, and struggles to cover said kickoffs that don't go into the end zone, I welcome this rule change.

If I were one of our opponents I would strongly oppose.
Marrone is probably thinking, "Glad I didn't hire a ST coach. Our biggest problem just went away."

Making Special Teams that much more irrelevant. Before you know it, punt returns will have to be a mandatory fair catch.

Didn't we already try that approach? I don't recall it as being a particularly popular move.

I wonder if there was any indication this might be coming before we used a scholarship on a guy specifically for kick-off duty?

I wonder if there was any indication this might be coming before we used a scholarship on a guy specifically for kick-off duty?
Even so, we would still have needed one. 5 yards alone wouldn't have ensured touchbacks last year. Lots of catches inside the 5, but then we would have had to cover.