OT - Lebron proves why he is the best right now and Melo is still behind. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Lebron proves why he is the best right now and Melo is still behind.

If Melo would put in the effort on D that Lebron would, he would close the gap. Melo takes plays off a lot on D at times. That's what set MJ above everyone - he played both ends of the court.

I agree he could put more effort on D - however Lebron is also just an elite athlete. He certainly hustles - but his athleticism allows him to do more defensively even when he is not in position or playing good mtm D. Melo is playing better D this year than he ever has and is laying all out much more often as well. Either way the comparison is silly as Lebron is the best player in the world hands down with his combination of size, athleticism, skill and relentless effort on both sides.

If Melo would put in the effort on D that Lebron would, he would close the gap. Melo takes plays off a lot on D at times. That's what set MJ above everyone - he played both ends of the court.

The first quarter was kind of emblematic of that; there was the alley oop Lebron got when he beat a jogging Melo down the floor, and then the last play of thr qtr where Lebron turned it over but hustled back to contest the layup by JR.

JR has been pretty big at times this year. Melo can't win though - yesterday even though he had 32 or so he deferred a lot to give teammates open looks that they just bricked. He is shooting well enough this year to be able to be a bit more selfish ( oddly enough that has always been the complaint about him). The thing that I really disliked was that they forced the issue with Amare and it hurt them. He finished a couple that were served on a platter but the constant effort to feed him on the PNR upset the flow of the offense a few times. Amare is an asset to a team who the highest usage rate belongs to the PG. He gives the PG an option nearly every trip down the court. When that is not the case - he becomes a guy you have to make an effort to setup that is outside the flow of the offense. The thing I think hurting this team is Sheed's injury. With Sheed they became a dynamic team with the ultimate flex big man off the bench. His ability to post really gave them a threat. Without Sheed the only guy has been Amare and the results mixed. That said - JR does need to make the easy ones.. as does Novak. Lebron was awesome yesterday but if the knicks hit 50% of those open looks in the 2nd half - they win by 10.

He has been big at times this year not doubt about that. But he's that "shooter without a conscience" guy. He was 3-12 or 3-13 yesterday from three and he just keep sending it up. Maybe that;s the gameplan...but with someone like Melo, it just seems to me JR needs to defer when his shot isn't falling. Or...maybe more accurately said...recognize when his shot isn't falling. In the NBA...I'm not one of those "keep shooting" guys. I think there are enough players on most teams who can make jump shots that you have to recognize when you are off and find the guy who is on. JR just being out there is going to pull the DEF to the perimeter so there is still some value. But that is also personal opinion. My belief is that if you are an NBA guy...fix your shot in the gym and let Melo have a couple more looks.

100% agreed on Amare. Well said.

44cuse