OT: Love this quote in this Penn State article from the AP | Syracusefan.com

OT: Love this quote in this Penn State article from the AP

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
http://news.yahoo.com/penn-state-sex-scandal-engulfing-revered-paterno-003901704.html

State police Commissioner Frank Noonan said that although Paterno may have met his legal requirement to report suspected abuse by Sandusky, "somebody has to question about what I would consider the moral requirements for a human being that knows of sexual things that are taking place with a child."
He added: "I think you have the moral responsibility, anyone. Not whether you're a football coach or a university president or the guy sweeping the building. I think you have a moral responsibility to call us."

I read that quote and somehow my first thoughts are that the guy sweeping the building would make the right decision and call the police.

I can't believe a college employee like Paterno doesn't have a legal obligation to report an incident like that to the police. Hell, it should be a law for every person in this country.

That's a loophole if there ever was one, and a law that must be put in the books.

It just continues to blow my mind that Paterno knew exactly what was going on for YEARS, and yet he fulfilled his legal obligations and gets off scott-free. That is absolutely ludicrous.

But unfortunately the custodian who walked in on something in 2000 didn't call them.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

So as a teacher of young men Paterno just has to kick it upstairs? I thought teachers had to report this type of activity to the police?

So as a teacher of young men Paterno just has to kick it upstairs? I thought teachers had to report this type of activity to the police?

I'm pretty sure that applies to teachers at all other levels but apparently not colleges.

College faculty/staff are not mandated reporters. Mandated reporting in most states applies to teachers, principals, social workers, etc who directly work with underage/minor students. Since it's fairly reasonable to assume that sexual incidents on a campus don't involve a minor, the mandated reporting thing is null. Which is how/why so many campuses are able to report "Zero" rapes/sexual assaults in their annual Campus Crime Reports; such events are often not reported or are dealt with internally. Disgusting, I know.

Paterno likely had ZERO legal obligation to report this crime in relation to his occupational status. As an employer/supervisor, I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teddy19

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom