OT - Maryland Student Section | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Maryland Student Section

students need to do this saturday for hoya game, minus the court storming
I hope they do something.

The thing that makes the Syracuse student section unique historically is their innovative, off the wall, humorous and cutting edge thinking. Many great things have been done over the years.

Haven't seen anything from the students this season. They haven't done a good job showing up for games, haven't been loud, haven't seen any good distractions for oppostition FT shooters, no new chants, no new songs, no new giant heads or signs, nothing new and interesting.

What is going on with this student section?

Maybe SU students are all lame now. The Georgetown game determines the legacy for Otto's Army for 2012-13. Last chance (DePaul is only for giving flowersand framed unis to the seniors).

Do something interesting. If necessary, use the PC game as a practice.

It is a sad day for Syracuse when schools like Pittsburgh, Villanova and Maryland have better student sections than Syracuse.

Regardless of how we non students feel about it, the whole point to doing that was it is FUN. Every one of those kids will look back at that day as great day where they enjoyed themselves immensely and were part of something bigger than themselves. Choreographed or not. And that is part of what college is all about. Holy .. calling them gay or lame for having fun and caring for their school really makes me wonder. Have we become so entrenched in the February blues that we cant have fun at a basketball game? Students love that stuff, the players love that stuff, the coaches love that stuff. SU fans not so much.

I'll be back for the Louisville game in two weeks. I'll try to amp up the student section. I'm pumped.

Gay.
images

Let the band play more and I think the crowd would be more into it.

I've said for years the Dome creates its own buzzkill moments. Here is an example:

We are down 40-32 with 17 minutes left in the game. We then go on a 10-0 run to take the lead 42-40 capped off by an alley oop from MCW to James that literally brings the house down. The other team calls a timeout. The place is going bonkers. Then what happens? We get 2 commercials, the band doesnt play and we get to see people on the Yanceys Fancey cheese cam. Then the cheerleaders come out and do the worst cheer in major college athletics with their LETS GO S U lame attempt at a cheer.

F this. Let the band play. Bring back the Hey song and keep the momentum going. People who never go to the dome love to rag on us fans that attend every game saying we are a lame fan base when in reality its tough when the university constantly kills the crowd buzz.

Drives me absolutely nuts.

I've said for years the Dome creates its own buzzkill moments. Here is an example:

We are down 40-32 with 17 minutes left in the game. We then go on a 10-0 run to take the lead 42-40 capped off by an alley oop from MCW to James that literally brings the house down. The other team calls a timeout. The place is going bonkers. Then what happens? We get 2 commercials, the band doesnt play and we get to see people on the Yanceys Fancey cheese cam. Then the cheerleaders come out and do the worst cheer in major college athletics with their LETS GO S U lame attempt at a cheer.

F this. Let the band play. Bring back the Hey song and keep the momentum going. People who never go to the dome love to rag on us fans that attend every game saying we are a lame fan base when in reality its tough when the university constantly kills the crowd buzz.

I may be pandering to your sensibilities a bit but you should've seen the UConn game...their band didn't play till the end if the first half and maybe played three times total, and when they did the XL Center piped then in. I almost felt bad for those kids. Meanwhile the XL Center decided to play Jock Jamz Vol. 1 from like 1992 at every break.

I may be pandering to your sensibilities a bit but you should've seen the UConn game...their band didn't play till the end if the first half and maybe played three times total, and when they did the XL Center piped then in. I almost felt bad for those kids. Meanwhile the XL Center decided to play Jock Jamz Vol. 1 from like 1992 at every break.

Well its because they are Uconn:)

Surprised actually. Sad to hear other fan bases suffer as well.

Last night on TWC they had on the SU/Seton Hall game from 1992 on (late like 11:00). I tuned into it with about 10 minutes left in the game. Great game and we pulled out a big win in the last minute. I noticed however that the band played a ton, especially at the end of the game and the fans were singing the Hey song. No canned music, no ads, just the band and the fans. It made me smile.

Last night on TWC they had on the SU/Seton Hall game from 1992 on (late like 11:00). I tuned into it with about 10 minutes left in the game. Great game and we pulled out a big win in the last minute. I noticed however that the band played a ton, especially at the end of the game and the fans were singing the Hey song. No canned music, no ads, just the band and the fans. It made me smile.

When was the last time they played the hey song? 2003 during the championship season? If so then I think we have our winner in terms of why we have not won number two.

When was the last time they played the hey song? 2003 during the championship season? If so then I think we have our winner in terms of why we have not won number two.

They played it once during my four years there after a big win, can't remember the specific game. They've readded it to football, albeit an abridged version (cut out the 'em up part), but we still all sang that anyway.

You missed an F in there, are you slipping?:eek:

That was seven levels of awesome. Well-done, MD. But, us copying it would be lame.

That's a huge part of the problem. Dome management and the athletic department have failed.

Doesn't help that the bulk of the student body is only interested in attending two or three nationally televised games in which their sign or big head might get a couple seconds of air time.

That's a huge part of the problem. Dome management and the athletic department have failed.

Doesn't help that the bulk of the student body is only interested in attending two or three nationally televised games in which their sign or big head might get a couple seconds of air time.

I have been attending games since the dome opened in 1980. It has gone downhill the past 10 years as far as the crowd, the way the university whores out for a dime with all of the ads that they cram down your throat during a game. Sure it looks pretty with the jumbo trons and the new video ribbon board. The whole college atmosphere that the dome was great for has now turned into an NBA game. If I am a member of the Sour Citrus Society I am pissed off because I rarely ever play. Thne throw in the lameness of Mr. Excitement and its painful.

I was at the Maryland game and while I find the Harlem Shake thing completely unfunny nor at all entertaining (I had no idea that was what I was witnessing), the students made the game rock. That said, Maryland gives them great seats (must cost the athletic department a ton of cash by giving them a ton of the lower bowl and not selling them to the public). Plus students made up 20%+ of the crowd - probably closer to 40%+ of the lower section - so the building rocked. On top of that - no matter how much I was not entertained by the video, the students did have a ton of coordinated chants that added to the noise.

A tight building structure rocks when the crowd is into it like they were from start to finish although there were times you could hear noise from the speakers. Overall best crowd that I have ever been a part of since they were completely into it and LOUD for 95% of the time from 15 minutes before the tap to the end. Rare crowd that is a) that loud and b) almost constantly into it from start to finish.

I have been attending games since the dome opened in 1980. It has gone downhill the past 10 years as far as the crowd, the way the university whores out for a dime with all of the ads that they cram down your throat during a game. Sure it looks pretty with the jumbo trons and the new video ribbon board. The whole college atmosphere that the dome was great for has now turned into an NBA game. If I am a member of the Sour Citrus Society I am pissed off because I rarely ever play. Thne throw in the lameness of Mr. Excitement and its painful.

They're completely deaf to constructive criticism and imperceptive to the crowd reaction during SSS songs versus during ads/canned songs/Mr. Excitement's babbling. Because of this, it seems clear that they've gotten exactly what they want - a minor-league baseball atmosphere.

But I have no idea why they want this.

It sucks. I sat through some pretty bad basketball in 1992 and 1993 and again from 1997 through 2002. But it was fun because it was played in the Dome. Now we're playing (mostly) very good basketball. This is nice, because that's about the only enjoyable thing about attending games at the Dome. Everything else is painful.

They're completely deaf to constructive criticism and imperceptive to the crowd reaction during SSS songs versus during ads/canned songs/Mr. Excitement's babbling. Because of this, it seems clear that they've gotten exactly what they want - a minor-league baseball atmosphere.

But I have no idea why they want this.

It sucks. I sat through some pretty bad basketball in 1992 and 1993 and again from 1997 through 2002. But it was fun because it was played in the Dome. Now we're playing (mostly) very good basketball. This is nice, because that's about the only enjoyable thing about attending games at the Dome. Everything else is painful.

Couldnt agree more. I have attended hundreds of basketball games in my lifetime at the Dome. Each and every year I find myself less motivated to go up there because it just isnt the same as it was. The atmosphere will be great Saturday but aside from that it is like watching a minor league game.

One of the best atmosphere games I have ever attended was the Butler NIT game in 2002 as crazy as that sounds. No canned sh it, all band and it was loud as hell for only having about 10,000 in the building.

Couldnt agree more. I have attended hundreds of basketball games in my lifetime at the Dome. Each and every year I find myself less motivated to go up there because it just isnt the same as it was. The atmosphere will be great Saturday but aside from that it is like watching a minor league game.

One of the best atmosphere games I have ever attended was the Butler NIT game in 2002 as crazy as that sounds. No canned sh it, all band and it was loud as hell for only having about 10,000 in the building.

Funny you mention that; that's on my list, too. Kind of hated that team, but it was cool to see Shumpert have a career night and will his team to a win. Like 7,000 in the house, but each of us wanted to be there. And we were loud. (Makes me wonder about some of these huge crowds - there are a lot of silent people in the building.)

I wish people in the athletic department would read these complaints and actually take them to heart. We've been following this program longer than they have and we know what makes for a great college basketball atmosphere.

I'm not a student anymore, but if I can defend them, the students have been pretty great since 09-10. I've heard things have been a bit down this year (couldn't tell you why), but my last three years at SU had consistently huge student sections, sections were added to it to account for overflow, and in 2010-11 the Dome sold more student season tickets than they ever had before. It doesn't hurt that we had two great and one very good teams over that time span, but it was always a great time at the Dome then. Not sure what the deal is this year, I'm sure the lackluster schedule has hurt in terms of game times. The Georgetown student section sold out weeks ago, and they're still selling single game student tickets at a decent pace from what I heard, and we may come close to 35k. I'm bringing a couple of friends from home, so I hope that it is as remarkable a turnout as I expect.

Totally agree on the whole atmosphere thing with regard to the band not being able to play, though. I really hope the ACC revenue will reduce our need to pack ads everywhere we can put them, but I'm not optimistic on that front, especially when there's always money to be made.

I really don't get the flash mob stuff or choreographed stuff either tbh - it never really looks all that cool to me. I think being there is probably cool, but it never translates for me watching the videos. That video was boring as hell. Well, some of the shots from a distanced were entertaining, but I think that was just the bouncing - seeing the colors in the stands - not because of the music.

The Utah State stuff is fantastic, etc....but a bunch of ppl jumping around w/ music, never really seems all that awesome on video.

I'm not a student anymore, but if I can defend them, the students have been pretty great since 09-10. I've heard things have been a bit down this year (couldn't tell you why), but my last three years at SU had consistently huge student sections, sections were added to it to account for overflow, and in 2010-11 the Dome sold more student season tickets than they ever had before. It doesn't hurt that we had two great and one very good teams over that time span, but it was always a great time at the Dome then. Not sure what the deal is this year, I'm sure the lackluster schedule has hurt in terms of game times. The Georgetown student section sold out weeks ago, and they're still selling single game student tickets at a decent pace from what I heard, and we may come close to 35k. I'm bringing a couple of friends from home, so I hope that it is as remarkable a turnout as I expect.

Totally agree on the whole atmosphere thing with regard to the band not being able to play, though. I really hope the ACC revenue will reduce our need to pack ads everywhere we can put them, but I'm not optimistic on that front, especially when there's always money to be made.

I dont think there is a complaint about the students. Its the overall atmosphere.

Different perspective as a student as well. You are with friends, are half bombed and probably the average student doesnt really pay much attention to the overall ads, canned music, etc. I know I didnt pay attention to that stuff when I was a teenager and with friends. Now as an adult who attends games with my wife or kids its very east to notice the decline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom