OT: Meanwhile Desko Is Clueless in Durham | Syracusefan.com

OT: Meanwhile Desko Is Clueless in Durham

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Lacrosse has changed, Desko hasn't. Time to show him the door. Enough of these embarrassing losses.

No face-off wins and ground balls and many turnovers and penalties galore. A broken program.

16-6 Duke late in the 3rd on ESPNU.

Last edited:
Lacrosse has changed, Desko hasn't. Time to show him the door. Enough off these embarrassing losses.

No face-off wins and ground balls and many turnovers and penalties galore. A broken program.

16-6 Duke late in the 3rd on ESPNU.

from HHH to What

Per the SU media guide, it was the worst loss in Syracuse lax history. Largest margin of defeat and most goals allowed. Some of you here were with me in a syracusefan.com chat during that Johns Hopkins 17-9 game a few years back. It was dreadful. Yet somehow, we just upped it.

Historic loss. First time giving up 20 goals since the 90's. Largest margin of defeat since the 80's. What a friggin' weekend. Ugh.

At least the women's basketball team and women's lacrosse teams won. I don't think anyone would've thought the men's basketball season would end before the women.

Here are some of the 14+ point losses in Syracuse's history
Laurie Cox
0-14 - Hobart - 1916 -

Roy Simmons Sr
0-20 - JHU - 1931 -
1-18 - Army - 1936 -
4-20 - Navy - 1946 -
5-19 - Army - 1953 -
6-20 - Navy - 1956
4-24 - Maryland - 1956 (2 days later)
3-18 - Army - 1959
7-22 - Maryland - 1960
7-22 - Army - 1965
2-19 - Cornell - 1966
4-18 - Navy - 1967
4-23 - Army - 1967
2-19 - Cornell - 1967 (3 days later)
0-14 - Navy - 1968
7-23 - Cortland - 1971

Roy Simmons Jr
3-21 - Cornell - 1972
2-20 - Cortland - 1973
7-24 - Washington College - 1974
7-22 - Hobart - 1974
7-23 - Hobart - 1975
8-24 - Hobart - 1977

John Desko
7-21 - Duke - 2014

I'm surprised you took the time to research that. Worst loss I've ever seen. By far.

I felt bad but I turned it off and watched Kansas - Stanford. One of the few times I have ever done that for an SU sporting event but I couldn't take it anymore.

HCJD still has 5 of these losses to go just to tie Slugger, and you want to get rid of him? ;)

HCJD still has 5 of these losses to go just to tie Slugger, and you want to get rid of him? ;)

He might get a few more this season if the team can't win a face-off, pick up a ground ball or complete a simple pass.

junior's last one was 37 years when we had no talent,this years team was highly rated and stacked with talent on the field.

junior's last one was 37 years when we had no talent,this years team was highly rated and stacked with talent on the field.
Dude, I know. It's a joke. Sorry if it wasn't funny.

Good thing the internet didn't exist between 74 and 77- 3 double-digit losses to Hobart in four years would have had Slugger run out of town.

that was easily the worst game i've ever seen them play. . just absolutely horrible. it was also the most hopeless i've ever felt about a cuse lax team. for a team with so much talent it is inexcusable for the faceoff situation to be as bad as it is. an absolute joke

Some of you here were with me in a syracusefan.com chat during that Johns Hopkins 17-9 game a few years back. It was dreadful. Yet somehow, we just upped it.
I was there with you for this game's chat. Does that count?

After the UMD & UVA games I was encouraged by the St. John's (in person) and Hopkins games. Today's destruction was just horrible. Simple passing & catching skills cost them a bunch (+/- 5?) of turnovers. What we'd give to even win only 1/3 of the face offs. Losing 9 face offs in a row today just made it impossible on the defensive end.

Good thing the internet didn't exist between 74 and 77- 3 double-digit losses to Hobart in four years would have had Slugger run out of town.
No, it wouldn't have. Expectations were different.
Syracuse's first NCAA tournament appearance was in 1979. All of these bad losses, prior to today, occurred before then.

Dude, I know. It's a joke. Sorry if it wasn't funny.

I caught the sarcasim right off the top, but some here might not have as the 5 championship thing is in the rearview window with the direction of this program.

I caught the wink at the end

I find the faceoff rule as archaic as having a jump ball after each basket. I don't know about lacrosse as much as most of you but a shot clock and changing that faceoff thing would be great changes to the game to me. My guess if these two rules were changed maybe we'd have a better record/success this year and wouldn't be making posts like this. Again, I don't know a lot about sticks but absolutely enjoy watching SU lacrosse.

Plus...the female sports are all having a heck of a year, keep it going ladies!

Last edited:
I find the faceoff rule as archaic as having a jump ball after each basket. I don't know about lacrosse as much as most of you but a shot clock and changing that faceoff thing would be great changes to the game to me. My guess if these two rules were changed maybe we'd have a better record/success this year and wouldn't be making posts like this. Again, the I don't know a lot about sticks but absolutely enjoy watching SU lacrosse.

Plus...the female sports are all having a heck of a year, keep it going ladies!
I'm not sure arming the Orange with nuclear weapons would have helped them yesterday, but I have to think we would have at least one less loss if the FO rule had been changed.

Sometimes it's just the other guys day and you just have to fight through it. Tip your hat...learn from it and move on. That's what I'm hoping for anyways.

I was there with you for this game's chat. Does that count?

It counts. I remember the 1st one because I was sitting alone at my home in Denver getting ready to move back to NY. I remember CTO being in the chat, and it being one of her self-described 1st experiences with lacrosse. Not a good way to start.

The 1st one felt worse, because we expected more back then. Yesterday was epic. It was much worse.