OT: Meanwhile Desko Is Clueless in Durham | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Meanwhile Desko Is Clueless in Durham

Sometimes it's just the other guys day and you just have to fight through it. Tip your hat...learn from it and move on. That's what I'm hoping for anyways.
I like your attitude and positivity! I'm more doom and gloom, I was very disappointed with the fight and heart of this team.

I like your attitude and positivity! I'm more doom and gloom, I was very disappointed with the fight and heart of this team.

Thanks and I meant every word of it.

I've noticed through out time of watching talented players and the fight and heart when someone just crushes them...they are on the other side of the coin for possibly the first time in their athletic careers and some just don't know how to handle that type of failure. Now...we get to see what these young men and the staff are built of.

Historic loss. First time giving up 20 goals since the 90's. Largest margin of defeat since the 80's. What a friggin' weekend. Ugh.
We have had inconsistent performance really for 6-7 years. Sure we have had a few ups but also several years of What are they doing? FaceOffs are just a part of the issue. I see us finishing around .500% with an outside shot at a bid...forget about homefield advantage the first weekend of the playoffs.

I find the faceoff rule as archaic as having a jump ball after each basket. I don't know about lacrosse as much as most of you but a shot clock and changing that faceoff thing would be great changes to the game to me. My guess if these two rules were changed maybe we'd have a better record/success this year and wouldn't be making posts like this. Again, I don't know a lot about sticks but absolutely enjoy watching SU lacrosse.

Plus...the female sports are all having a heck of a year, keep it going ladies!

Doesn't hockey have a faceoff after every score? I know it isn't as important as a lacrosse faceoff but still they have them. Maybe lacrosse can use experimental rules during Fall Ball with giving the ball to the "scored on team" and a shot clock.

We have had inconsistent performance really for 6-7 years. Sure we have had a few ups but also several years of What are they doing? FaceOffs are just a part of the issue. I see us finishing around .500% with an outside shot at a bid...forget about homefield advantage the first weekend of the playoffs.

Doesn't hockey have a faceoff after every score? I know it isn't as important as a lacrosse faceoff but still they have them. Maybe lacrosse can use experimental rules during Fall Ball with giving the ball to the "scored on team" and a shot clock.
It seems that a lot of the FO guys use the technique whereby they trap the ball in the neck of their crosse. As long as they can flip it out in one motion, it's considered legal - don't know why, it's an artifact of plastic crosses. (Don't know if the Duke guy does this.) It would seem that outlawing this technique would help. It think it's pretty unlikely that we'll see FOs completely eliminated - too big a change for the rules committee to entertain.

Faceoff's are beyond atrocious, but we were terrible in many other areas yesterday. Desko just looks like an idiot when he starts using the, " we haven't had a full field excuse," to speak to our clearing woes. The TO that Lamo had on the clear when he threw it right to the Duke kid, who promptly scored was amazing, and not in a good way! I have lost confidence in the staff. For as good as they were last year, without a good faceoff man, they are equally bad this year. They also have recruited F/O kids as well. Something about the wing play, or coaching isn't working. It's not like they aren't trying to bring in new talent, but once we get them here, they get manhandled. It's not all them though. Our wings are terrible, our SSDM's are small, and our defense is late to every slide. Full team breakdown.

It's a damn good thing I was in a place with no ESPNU and Internet yesterday.

I guess I'll save the DVR for a rainy day. ;)

Faceoff's are beyond atrocious, but we were terrible in many other areas yesterday. Desko just looks like an idiot when he starts using the, " we haven't had a full field excuse," to speak to our clearing woes. The TO that Lamo had on the clear when he threw it right to the Duke kid, who promptly scored was amazing, and not in a good way! I have lost confidence in the staff. For as good as they were last year, without a good faceoff man, they are equally bad this year. They also have recruited F/O kids as well. Something about the wing play, or coaching isn't working. It's not like they aren't trying to bring in new talent, but once we get them here, they get manhandled. It's not all them though. Our wings are terrible, our SSDM's are small, and our defense is late to every slide. Full team breakdown.

Yup its been a disaster all around. Our SSDM's look like there 5'6 at best. Messina was dominated by that Jones kid who has been struggling so badly Duke fans were calling for him to be benched. He was getting abused so bad I thought child protective services was going to have to step in. What a disaster.

Last edited:
OrangeinBoston: There is nothing in the rules which prohibit a FO guy or anyone from playing with the ball in the back of the stick as long as the ball can come out freely. Fowler and Raffa are not only excellent at timing the whistle and securing the clamp but also really good at ground balls. From what I have seen Daddio isn't that bad technique wise and seems to win the clamp on occaision but he just isn't up to par at raking/popping it out to a teamate or gaining possession himself. wing play is a whole other story. One thing that absolutely boggles the mind is that they haven't taught these kids (or the players just aren't using them) some defensive FO moves which are not rocket science.

OrangeinBoston: There is nothing in the rules which prohibit a FO guy or anyone from playing with the ball in the back of the stick as long as the ball can come out freely. Fowler and Raffa are not only excellent at timing the whistle and securing the clamp but also really good at ground balls. From what I have seen Daddio isn't that bad technique wise and seems to win the clamp on occaision but he just isn't up to par at raking/popping it out to a teamate or gaining possession himself. wing play is a whole other story. One thing that absolutely boggles the mind is that they haven't taught these kids (or the players just aren't using them) some defensive FO moves which are not rocket science.

Any chance you could become a volunteer assistant at SU for a few weeks? Your thoughts about the X seem way above our staffs.

It's a damn good thing I was in a place with no ESPNU and Internet yesterday.

I guess I'll save the DVR for a rainy day. ;)

delete, delete, delete... It's painful. Like watching a HS team against Duke.

While some don't like the face off... it's also the way to making a comeback from a large deficit. Get on a late roll and you could be back in the game.

While some don't like the face off... it's also the way to making a comeback from a large deficit. Get on a late roll and you could be back in the game.
Good point - you also have to weigh that in the change-the-FO-rule discussion.

Ha. I have played and coached the game for a long time (an alum but never played at SU - torn acl). My guess is that the staff are doing the best they can with the talent they have. When you're a top flight HS FO guy you probably don't practice defensive technique much. If you watch Fowler and Raffa they are freak athletes who also have great technique. They are more often than not doing it all themselves. I think Daddio has the technique and obviously has put a ton of time in but sometimes you're not going to be as good as the guy across from you and our wing play hasn't helped him one bit.

The faceoff is here to stay unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it. The smaller schools would have an absolute meltdown if the rules were ever changed.

The Rules change on FO's constantly and the Refs have no continuity in their calls ,make it uniform and stick with it

But in hockey you can't hold the puck for such a huge amount of time. I can't see why they don't experiment on the goalie taking the ball out and passing after a goal and a shot clock. I agree that faceoffs are just part of the issue but since the game doesn't have a shot clock it makes that position way too important imo.

Also hockey has faceoffs in all three zones which would make the equivalent of a FOGO guy impossible. Additionally you have faceoffs for many more things than just goals -- penalties, icing, high sticks, puck out of play, etc. Basketball is a better comparable.

To add to our frustrations at FO, two of the top three current FO guys in the country are local kids: Joseph Nardella, Rutgers (Cazenovia)and Tim Edwards, Canisius (JD)

To add to our frustrations at FO, two of the top three current FO guys in the country are local kids: Joseph Nardella, Rutgers (Cazenovia)and Tim Edwards, Canisius (JD)

As frustrated as I am with the staff its hard to blame them for either of those two guys. Neither were highly recruited and honestly they didnt have many offers at all especially Nardella. Your right though, Nardella on this team would be amazing.