OT - Memphis Loses to Division II Team | Syracusefan.com

OT - Memphis Loses to Division II Team

shandeezy7

Living Legend
Thought this was an interesting story with some similarities to our Le Moyne loss.

Memphis lost to Christian Brothers University in overtime last night. A couple of odd similarities:

-Christian Brothers is a Division II college located in Memphis, exactly 2.5 miles from the University of Memphis; Le Moyne is Division II college located in Syracuse, exactly 2.5 miles from Syracuse University

-The current President of Christian Brothers is John Smarrelli, a Le Moyne graduate and former Provost and Interim President of Le Moyne. He left Le Moyne just before the big SU win, so unfortunately he wasn't around for that one.

Now obviously Memphis isn't the same quality team that SU was in the 09-10 season, but I still found it interesting nonetheless.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-exhibition-to-division-ii-christian-brothers

John Smarrelli and I were grad students together at ESF. Really good guy. Smooth hoops player back in the day (Captain Z and The Great Ones). Must have rubbed off on the team.

Interesting. Maybe Carleton wasn't as good as we suspected. Their big scalp was Memphis (x2).

Reactions: cto
Love this quote from the article you attached: This one won't have the same reaction as Syracuse dropping that random exhibition to Le Moyne five years ago, but it's pretty bad.

Of course it won't have the same reaction. Everything that is perceived bad happening to Syracuse gets blown out of proportion.

Truthfully its a compliment to our program. Everything is a big deal with SU bball because we are one of the top programs. I think people forget that we are the missed front end and a knee injury away from likely 3NC instead of 1. We are top 5 in wins ever and our coach has the 2nd most wins ever.

John Smarrelli and I were grad students together at ESF. Really good guy. Smooth hoops player back in the day (Captain Z and The Great Ones). Must have rubbed off on the team.

John's a great guy. Real genuine person. Knew him through my time at Le Moyne. He also knew my father from way back in their days playing baseball and basketball at St. Vincent de Paul High School in Syracuse.

Thought this was an interesting story with some similarities to our Le Moyne loss.

Memphis lost to Christian Brothers University in overtime last night. A couple of odd similarities:

-Christian Brothers is a Division II college located in Memphis, exactly 2.5 miles from the University of Memphis; Le Moyne is Division II college located in Syracuse, exactly 2.5 miles from Syracuse University

-The current President of Christian Brothers is John Smarrelli, a Le Moyne graduate and former Provost and Interim President of Le Moyne. He left Le Moyne just before the big SU win, so unfortunately he wasn't around for that one.

Now obviously Memphis isn't the same quality team that SU was in the 09-10 season, but I still found it interesting nonetheless.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24802735/memphis-loses-exhibition-to-division-ii-christian-brothers

Oddly enough, and I know this will delight all the Vermont haters here, but the St. Michael's College men's basketball team beat UVM in their final exhibition game of the pre-season. And campus to camps is very very close to 2.5 miles.

http://smcathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2014-15/releases/20141108yd0uoh

Reactions: cto
Interesting. Maybe Carleton wasn't as good as we suspected. Their big scalp was Memphis (x2).

last year. They were an 8 seed in the NCAA tournament.

and they beat Christian Brothers 92-63 last year.

To be fair, Carleton ran them outta the gym by 32 in one of the games... You don't beat a d1 school like Memphis even if they are down by that much unless u are good