OT: Mike Brey on Big 12... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Mike Brey on Big 12...

God, Vanderbilt would be a fantastic fit, both in the ACC and away from the SEC (they can't love going up against all those cheater/criminal schools in basketball and football). That's far and away my number one choice.

Plus there are plenty of other criminal elements the SEC could recruit to replace them in an instant.

Plus there are plenty of other criminal elements the SEC could recruit to replace them in an instant.
Vanderbilt to the ACC would just speed up the inevitable annexation of the SEC by Rutgers

Vandy? Really? Great school both academically and good athletics-wise. But football pays the bills.

The ACC already has a reputation of having far too many privates with less than 40K attendance for football, and we want Vandy as #16?!?

Oh Lord

Cheers,
Neil

When you think about it if ESPN can pay Texas 300 million for a channel that can't get airplay, then why can't they pay Penn St's price out of the Big 10. The money made from an ACC network would guarantee, no-one would threaten them as the giant in sports broadcasting. That would be a win-win situation for ESPN, and the ACC.

After adding 2 schools with not very good football programs I would be amazed if the ACC added Vanderbilt. If they did I'm sure the SEC would then raid the ACC to get back to 14, or maybe to get to 16.....and you better believe they wouldn't be targeting Wake Forest.

After adding 2 schools with not very good football programs I would be amazed if the ACC added Vanderbilt. If they did I'm sure the SEC would then raid the ACC to get back to 14, or maybe to get to 16.....and you better believe they wouldn't be targeting Wake Forest.
The scorched earth scenario. Not sure I buy it. Of course, not sure I buy Vandy to the ACC either. But I am pretty sure $50+M as a buyout fee for FSU and Clemson would have them thinking twice about the greener grass, because they'd be leaving a lot of that green behind. And the relative ease of winning the ACC makes their path to the playoff a lot easier than having to navigate the SEC meat-grinder.

Don't laugh at me... but the most logical candidate is Vanderbilt. It is an orphan in the SEC. It is much more an ACC school
three great things about that: 1. Nashville is a fantastic road trip (and now has a direct flight from Boston). 2. As much as I am sympathetic to Uconn's plight (not RU's in the slightest) it is clearly in our best interest for the other Northeast programs to stink. There aren't enough players to support everyone. 3. I like a very strong academic conference.

I have given this some thought and here is an off of the wall thought. I could see ND agreeing to become a full member if a team like Navy is added to the conference. Now some of you might say no way but for ND this would be perfect. It would allow them to conitnue to play Navy each season. The ACC moved back from 9 to 8 conference games. This allows ND to keep games against USC, Stanford, Michigan State, and a Michigan or Purdue. I am willing to guess that the ACC would bend over backwards to do this if it means getting ND to join as a full time member.

Now Navy does not have a basketball team to bring to the table in the ACC. In this scenario the ACC could decide to stay put in terms of basketball or they could look to add a basketball only school such as Villanova or Georgetown.

I don't know if this is ridiculous or not but it is something I have thought about when it comes to getting a school like ND to join the conference.

Navy has been discussed frequently as #16 on this board. Some fervently opposed, some in favor. A possibility, I suppose. Not sure Navy would want in, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom