OT: Miracle on ice Eruziones goal - never saw this one | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Miracle on ice Eruziones goal - never saw this one

Watched Miracle yesterday. The closest thing Disney has ever done to accurately depict a historic sports story. When I saw they movie was coming out, I expected a Mighty Ducks/Remember the Titans ending where Eruzione scored the winning goal against the Soviets in overtime by running a Flying V towards his own net but then backhanded the puck through his legs all the way into the other net for the win.

But they stayed true, and built up the most dramatic 10 minutes of play in US sports history. I thought Uncle Kurt was phenomenal in the Herb Brooks role.

But they stayed true, and built up the most dramatic 10 minutes of play in US sports history. I thought Uncle Kurt was phenomenal in the Herb Brooks role.

He was as close as you are going to get to Herb Brooks.

Watched Miracle yesterday. The closest thing Disney has ever done to accurately depict a historic sports story. When I saw they movie was coming out, I expected a Mighty Ducks/Remember the Titans ending where Eruzione scored the winning goal against the Soviets in overtime by running a Flying V towards his own net but then backhanded the puck through his legs all the way into the other net for the win.

yep I agree. I saw it too yesterday which started this whole thing here as I did some net searching on it.

Thought the movie was just as you described. The only thing I thought they could've done better was (since they used original footage from the actual event in some spots anyways), I wouuld've used the real video of Eruziones goal at that point in the game. Small thing. Loved the locker room speach after the first period of game 1 which in reading the history of it was nearly spot on.

yep I agree. I saw it too yesterday which started this whole thing here as I did some net searching on it.

Thought the movie was just as you described. The only thing I thought they could've done better was (since they used original footage from the actual event in some spots anyways), I wouuld've used the real video of Eruziones goal at that point in the game. Small thing. Loved the locker room speach after the first period of game 1 which in reading the history of it was nearly spot on.

The other thing they didn't do, and maybe this is where how they wanted Kurt Russell to play the role would have fell flat, was between periods of the Soviet game. Where Brooks started mocking the Soviet captain, saying how he looked like Stan Laurel. Things like that really helped relax the team. Worst part about the movie is when they show how Brooks never got to see the film because of the accident that took his life.

The other thing they didn't do, and maybe this is where how they wanted Kurt Russell to play the role would have fell flat, was between periods of the Soviet game. Where Brooks started mocking the Soviet captain, saying how he looked like Stan Laurel. Things like that really helped relax the team. Worst part about the movie is when they show how Brooks never got to see the film because of the accident that took his life.

I also wished they used Brooks original line when addressing his team before the game (they wouldnt because it being a Disney film and all). Before taking the ice he turned to his team in the locker room and said "If you lose this game you will remember it for all of your fuking lives. He then started walking...stopped...turned back around and said again "your fuking lives."

That was before the Gold Medal Finland game I think, which the movie barely addressed at all.

That was before the Gold Medal Finland game I think, which the movie barely addressed at all.
Right. I remember now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

been doing a lot of reading, watching and research lately on this and that episode was mentioned in the long article linked somewhere on here and I think it occured after the second period when they were losing to the FINS and Herbie came in and let them have it once more.

Dude was old school all the way.

Was watching in Moscow - this was about a year before we were finally allowed to emigrate. The Soviets simply chose not to show the end of the game on TV. The American celebration would've been too offensive to "the people". But plenty of us were celebrating nonetheless.

Wonder if Saint Tristan was able to pick this up in Dubai?

well I guess I'll make this the nostalgia thread. In looking for my old SI on the Miracle on ice I ran across some old things I've saved for God knows what reason. A few things I've saved were some old local Syracuse newspapers: one from the 1976 Bicentenial, some from the 1989 Gulf war along with our response and one from Marrones hiring.

Having not looked at these things in years the older ones were fascinating. First off the old Syracuse Herald Journal/Herald AMerican were still around and on much thicker newprint and the size of the newspapers were HUGE. Much bigger than todays paper and, of course, much thicker.

In 1989 the daily cost 30 cents, William F buckley was still around as a columnist, as was Robert Haggart ripping SU Chancellor Melvin eggers for his handling of the big crisis of the day, the PS expose on the SU hoops teams "violations". You could fly from Syracuse to fla. for $150, cross country for $300. Ads were from Henry Frank luggage co., B Forman clothes, Sam Young shoes, The Bombay company, Highland electronics superstore, Hermans world of sporting goods along with Marjax, Peter Harris clothes, Steinbach, H.O. Clark Pontiac in Elbridge where you can get a brand new 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix for $9000.

Manufactures Hanover or Fleet bank could finance you and NY telephone connect your phone calls. Surprisingly there was an article about global warming.

Ironically enough with the movie discussion today the movies out were Godfather III, Misery, Lionheart, Mermaids, Look whose talking, Home alone, Kindergarden cop, Green Card, Ghost and Dances with Wolves. Sports story of the day was the Cuse beating UConn in OT with a huge contribution from Scotty McCorkle playing 27 min and Leron Ellis scoring the final 4 points to lead SU to a 15-2 record on the year. Rounding out the team was Billy Owens, David Johnson, Michael Edwards, Adrian Autry, Conrad McRae, and Mike Hopkins.

The feature sports story was "Randy Edsall Leaves SU for BC" to join Tom Coughlin. From the article "Citing the lack of guarantee that he would retain his secondary position coach and a need to move on, Edsall submitted is letter of resignation.....being the first coach to leave in the wake of Dick MacPhersons move to the NFL...but receivers coach Ivan Fears, Norm Gerber, and Dave Uyrus all recently interviewed with coach Mac in NE...along with Glen Pires, this likely leaves only GD, Bob Casullo, and Dennis Goldman with new HC Paul Pasq...

.this could be a disaster for recruiting as due to the defection of Edsall the recruiting coordinator responible for 25 or 30 of recent recruits ...Edsall said he's been thinking about such a move for several years but made easier when coach P couldn't guarantee that he could keep his position job as Paul won't guarantee me anything...which he repeated 3x to me and my record and production proves I can coach the position....it was no secret that Edsall campaigned for the HC job at SU but was never considered as a serious candidate....this was something I had to do regardless of if Mac stayed or went...This is not a sour grapes decision edsall said, I've been here at SU 11 years, what else is there to accomplish,

Edsall had a talk with AD Crouthammel, on possible ethical conflicts regarding recruits and they agreed if BC was already involved in a player there would be no problem continuing to persue that recruit"

The 1976 paper had the bicentennial celebration as the headline along with the Israeli hostage rescue at Entebbe airport and a story on Castro and Jack Ruby meeting to talk about killing JFK.

That sunday paper cost 35 cents and the big ads were from Syracuse Savings bank, the new Fayetteville mall, Sibleys, General Electric company stores, First trust and deposit bank, JC Penneys, Henrys Jewelers, Dey Bros., Franklin Furniture, you could get a new car at Syracuse Datsun, Winn Gurney Pontiac for around $3000, get a brand new Ryan home for $28500, non new homes for $15-30k or a fancy home in Manlius for $50k. You could get a steak dinner at Mr. Steak for $6

Cigarette ads of all types abounded, an 8 track tape player from Radio shack cost $70, CB's were the rage and portable transistor radios and "Solid state" color tvs were big with a 19" costing almost $500, a 17" $430, a 13" $370, and a 12" black and white $100, a potscrubber dishwasher cost $450, and a side by side fridge/freezer $1200, a GE washer dryer combo would set you back $350.

Sports stories of the day was Bjorn Borg demolishing Ilie Nastase in Wimbeldon, Mark the Bird Fidrych with a picture of him talking to the ball and blanking the yanks, and Arnie Burdick reporting on how Tony Dorsett who demolished Syracuse is looking for Heisman recognition this upcoming senior year, Joe Tesori living 2 lives as a golf pro and hoops ref.

And there was a Arnie Burdick column story on SU football about..."coach Frank Maloney, who expressed displeasure at another slick that picked his orange 3rd best in the east. and another who predicts a 2-6-3 record for the Gridders with losses in the fall to Iowa, Maryland, PSU, Pitt, BC, and WVU...last year Street and SMith predicted 3-6-1 for SU and they finished a very respectable 6-5, so Orange fans take heart....3 Syracusans Larry King, Dave Jacobs, and Ken Clarke have made the AA check list of 114 players with no other eastern team having more than 2 players...we here think the orange will be a better football team in '76 though maybe not as lucky as last year...so if you need a preseason figure, try 5-5-1 for size"

And that about does it, thought some would get a kick out of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom