OT: Mount Rushmore of American pro athletes | Syracusefan.com

OT: Mount Rushmore of American pro athletes

Jordan, Ruth, Ali, Brady.
Solid. Hard to argue that any are really “wrong.” Others might give nods to different choices, but you could strongly defend your choices.
I would just comment that had Barry Bonds not messed around with PEDs, he might have replaced Ruth. Especially as a more modern player that most have seen play.

Two thoughts.

1, you need someone synonymous with the sport. I don't think that's Brady with football. Oddly enough, I think the guy most synonymous with football is still Lombardi.

2, I'd swap the Great One for Ali, and would think about Jackie Robinson for baseball as opposed to Ruth because of the cultural impact.

I would argue Pat Summit is also deserving of consideration, but not sure who she bumps.

1, you need someone synonymous with the sport. I don't think that's Brady with football. Oddly enough, I think the guy most synonymous with football is still Lombardi.

I know Brady is divisive and isn't universally loved the way MJ and Ruth are/were, but I just don't see how you can't include someone who has had the unprecedented success he has over almost two decades playing the most high profile position of America's most high profile sport.

And while Gretzky is obviously far and away the greatest hockey player ever, he's more of a Canadian icon than an American one. I don't think the Oilers Stanley Cups in the 80s register on anyone's radar here.

Reactions: CIL
I know Brady is divisive and isn't universally loved the way MJ and Ruth are/were, but I just don't see how you can't include someone who has had the unprecedented success he has over almost two decades playing the most high profile position of America's most high profile sport.
I think this is where the nature of football being different has an effect.

I mean, you got 22 guys on the field at a time. Things break down if one doesn't do what they're supposed to. In every other sport, individual talent has more opportunities to shine on its own. Plus, there the whole helmet thing. Bigger disconnect.

I can see the argument that Brady's success and longevity overcomes that. I also think it's the one that's the shakiest up there, especially since some recency effect may be at play.

Interesting topic.

I'd go Jordan, Jackie Robinson, Serena Williams and Brady. As much as that last one hurts.

{snip}

2, I'd swap the Great One for Ali, and would think about Jackie Robinson for baseball as opposed to Ruth because of the cultural impact.
{snip}
Oh, you mean Wayne "Great One-Way Player" Gretzky? No! The only check he knew was the one he cashed each week.

Jordan, Ruth, Ali, Brady.
I can't argue with this. If I had to try, my only argument against Ali would be that boxing isn't that popular anymore. That's not on him. And Frankly, I cant think of anyone better

Two thoughts.

I would argue Pat Summit is also deserving of consideration, but not sure who she bumps.

Tom Brady is more synonymous with football than Vince Lombardi. Also the post is about pro athletes. Absolutely no one hears Vince Lombardi's name and thinks about his playing days.

Jackie Robinson did a ton for MLB, but no one did more for it than Babe Ruth.

Pat Summit... again, it's pro athletes not college coaches.

Tom Brady is more synonymous with football than Vince Lombardi. Also the post is about pro athletes. Absolutely no one hears Vince Lombardi's name and thinks about his playing days.

Jackie Robinson did a ton for MLB, but no one did more for it than Babe Ruth.

Pat Summit... again, it's pro athletes not college coaches.
Yeah, well, my opinions can't be constrained by the post topic, so, there we are.

Jordan, Ruth, Brown, Gretzky

I can't include Brady. I think the 6 superbowl wins are more attributable to Belichik than Brady, and I hate how qb's are judged by so many on superbowl wins when football is the most team oriented sport where coaches have the biggest influence on the game compared the other sports.

Jordan, Ruth, Brown, Gretzky

I can't include Brady. I think the 6 superbowl wins are more attributable to Belichik than Brady, and I hate how qb's are judged by so many on superbowl wins when football is the most team oriented sport where coaches have the biggest influence on the game compared the other sports.

How much of MJ's 6 rings are attributed to Phil Jackson's triangle offense? And Belichick had a career head coaching record of 41-55 prior to Brady.

36185355.jpg