OT - My Best Friend and My Avatar Boy... | Syracusefan.com

OT - My Best Friend and My Avatar Boy...

newmexicuse

All Conference
My Rooyen is no longer with me. We had to let him go at age 14 and 8 months.

He was my dearest, dearest boy. I cannot begin to describe what a loving, loyal companion he was.

100_1622.jpg

Watched Marley and Me on the flight home yesterday. Movie always got me before I had my dog, but now, it really gets me. I was crying my eyes out. I understand so much more now how a dog becomes an integral part of the family.

Very sorry for your loss.

I “hate” these posts because they always bring back a flood of memories of multiple lost furry family members, and I genuinely grieve with you as I type this. There can’t be so much pain unless there was so much love...and that’s what dog’s do best! (And other four-legged family members, too, but I’m a “dog person.”)

What a noble looking beast! I have always loved your avatar. I only have cats but I have many friends with dogs and when they die, it is like ripping your heart in two. I feel terrible when one of our cats die, but I do know that a dog loves their person through and through and their loss is so much greater.

I hope that even with your grief you can begin to heal by basking in the glow of all your wonderful memories. And since I believe all conscious beings have a soul, I would not be surprised if the soul of your beloved Rooyen spends “time” with you, his beloved master. I bet you will feel him around you, when he isn’t frolicking in the Happy Hunting Grounds.

Great condolences to you, dear newmexicuse.

My Rooyen is no longer with me. We had to let him go at age 14 and 8 months.

He was my dearest, dearest boy. I cannot begin to describe what a loving, loyal companion he was.

View attachment 146761

….newmexicuse – feel for you man. It will take time but maybe in the not too distant future you'll get a new pup who will give you, again, the unconditional love all dogs are capable of. Have had a dog since my mother let me take in a stray when I was three and have never been without a dog. Bred dogs for show, for the seeing eye for me. One of the best things is like lying back in the grass and letting a litter of new pups, once there eyes open, walk over you and lick your face till you laugh – puppy breath - nothing like it. I wish you well and that continue to have a dog. I have been there where you are many times and I still cry for my best friend all day every time. Cheers to you for raising such a beautiful dog, caring for it and loving him like he loved you.

What a noble looking beast! I have always loved your avatar. I only have cats but I have many friends with dogs and when they die, it is like ripping your heart in two. I feel terrible when one of our cats die, but I do know that a dog loves their person through and through and their loss is so much greater.

I hope that even with your grief you can begin to heal by basking in the glow of all your wonderful memories. And since I believe all conscious beings have a soul, I would not be surprised if the soul of your beloved Rooyen spends “time” with you, his beloved master. I bet you will feel him around you, when he isn’t frolicking in the Happy Hunting Grounds.

Great condolences to you, dear newmexicuse.
Rooyen was a show dog, not that I cared about that, but I wanted the big male from his litter, so we took him with the understanding he would be shown. His head and front were gorgeous for his breed, but his rear
was not quite right & he had surgeries to his back legs as a pup, so he could not win anything. But that aside, because he was a show dog he did not get neutered until a bit later in life.

So, my avatar, was from a vacation we did in Santa Barbara. It was the best week of his life. Since he was intact, he just loved greeting everybody on the beach and looking for his "soulmate." Often we would get back from the beach and Roo would just make a right turn when we got out of the car to go back. Never saw such a happy dog as he was that week.

My first dog ever was my Abby. Roo and Abby were as close as dogs could ever be, I am sure that she has been waiting for him over the rainbow and that he is not alone.

….newmexicuse – feel for you man. It will take time but maybe in the not too distant future you'll get a new pup who will give you, again, the unconditional love all dogs are capable of. Have had a dog since my mother let me take in a stray when I was three and have never been without a dog. Bred dogs for show, for the seeing eye for me. One of the best things is like lying back in the grass and letting a litter of new pups, once there eyes open, walk over you and lick your face till you laugh – puppy breath - nothing like it. I wish you well and that continue to have a dog. I have been there where you are many times and I still cry for my best friend all day every time. Cheers to you for raising such a beautiful dog, caring for it and loving him like he loved you.

Love your thoughts on the puppy breath. Part of the reason Roo was so special was that we met him when he was three days old and got to visit with him every week until he could be weaned.

We are fortunate to still have another ridgeback, our Adia, so we still have a dog in our lives. Can't imagine ever not having one or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom