OT - NC State Football Players Join Student Eating Lunch Alone | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - NC State Football Players Join Student Eating Lunch Alone

I'm not exactly sure how highlighting kindness toward a particular group could make the problem worse.

And your post does what to disprove that exactly?

This is thought provoking.

First, the headline - football players eat with guy sitting alone. This is PC to the point of being insulting. clearly the sitting alone part had nothing to do with it. They are saying aren't these guys nice to humble themselves to sit with this handicapped guy. Then the presumption is we can't say he's handicapped because we don't want to be 'prejudiced' but man isn't it great these guys have humbled their mighty selves to sit with the cripple.

Judging on some of the responses from fellow students, it doesn't seem like this guy in the chair has any problems fitting in on campus. He's an active student who people are aware of, he gives people rides on his chair - owns what he deals with and tries to make people comfortable with it. Seems like maybe these guys know him and just had a seat. They look to be treating eachother as equals worthy of respect as human beings. Maybe they do it to be nice to the guy or whatever...but the hype around this I think is maybe pretty insulting.

The poor kid in the wheelchair or kid who has whatever other difficulty who gets the fist bump from the 1st basemen at the baseball game because they wheel him down to just above the dugout --- that kid grows up into an adult human being who most likely has spent lots of time and energy adapting to their weakness and learning how to exist in the world despite it. He probably doesn't want to get that fist bump from the 1st basemen when he's a 32 year old accountant still sitting in his chair.

Everyone has something wrong with them or some demon to learn how to manage and/or overcome. This guy's is just more overt, it's out there for everyone to see. Some guys have trouble reading, I have a good friend who couldn't read until he was 10. He now makes more money than anyone else I know. but should I be praised for being his friend when he couldn't read? He was just playing the hand dealt to him to the best of his abilities. But because this guy's problem is visible, everything that comes to him is an act of pity to be admired by others and for him to feel thankful for? That seems like a pretty shitty take to me.
I'm 44 and I'll gladly take a fist-bump from an MLB player.

If you saw a picture of 3 white guys sitting with a black guy, would you say that the white guys are being kind simply for sitting with a black guy?
This thread just took an awkward turn.

That's downright crazy! It blows my mind they could just be friends and it was not just an act of kindness toward a certain group!

The point of everything I have said has gone completely over your head. Although your initial response took what I said out of context, so it's not surprising. I even qualified what I said above that it was very possible they were friends. :bang:

I'm pretty sure if you took a poorly timed picture of me crowing down, I'd look as handicapped as that guy if not more. This is like the novacaine Seinfeld episode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk