OT: NCAA President not ruled out death penalty | Syracusefan.com

OT: NCAA President not ruled out death penalty

Trial balloon?

Would think so. If it wasn't a serious consideration, he'd have discounted it right then.

An SU grad gets it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

i think it will be everything short of the death penalty, starting in 2013. would love to pick up about 9-10 of their players for the start of the ACC.

not to mention recruits.

While I think they deserve the death penalty, I think you are correct.

Would think so. If it wasn't a serious consideration, he'd have discounted it right then.

That was my first thought, too.

Public opinion as well as the opinion leaders like Costas are together very hard to ignore. The outrage over ignoring this or brushing it aside on some hair-splitting technicality is too much for the NCAA to take. They have to do something. Once that Rubicon is crossed it has to be more severe than USC. Whether or not they have the guts to invoke the death penalty or not is hard to tell.

There is certainly an argument that to be fair to USC, OSU, Miami etc, something has to be done. NCAA can;'t have a double standard in the favor of PSU on this one. Wonder is Vegas has a line on this.

I saw Michael Isakoff, when of the best investigative reporters out there, saying he really thought the death penalty was in play. He said that the letter the NCAA wrote PSU in November was very telling.

While I think they deserve the death penalty, I think you are correct.

I agree. I remember reading an article recently about the death penalty at SMU and how its effects were so severe that the NCAA more or less decided they would never do it again. They had intended to punish the program, but what happened was essentially an erasure of the program for a decade. I don't expect them to apply it to PSU, but I wish they would. Here, their intent should be to erase the program for a period of time. PSU would recover more quickly than SMU did, but it would still be helpful for PSU not to play football at even a respectable level for a while.

The entire PSU football culture, school, administrators, staff, fans, in the aggregate were in some ways like a chronic drunk. Until you give up the booze, everything else is a cosmetic fix.

I expect PSU to get heavy sanctions that significantly affect their ability to play football at a high, or even moderate, level. If they come from the NCAA, bees and I (and others) will be right about the justification for the sanctions. The sanction may very well come from the Big 10, though. I'm not seeing anything from PSU that suggests they will take care of it themselves. Self-policing is obviously not one of their strong points.

I really have no clue what the penalties for PSU will be but given the response by many in their community, I have no doubt that the suspension of their football program for at least two years is warranted. As javadoc stated, the football culture has permeated so much of the institution. PSU is intoxicated by "the Penn State way" (aka JoePa culture). With that being said, you can't deny that football is essentially a professional preparation program and BiG are investors. Should they get either an NCAA levied death penalty or institutionally initiated program suspension - hell yes. Will it happen? I have a feeling no.

I'll just keep repeating...it'll be a disgrace if the NCAA *has* to do this.

Penn State should be applying the death penalty to themselves.

Public opinion as well as the opinion leaders like Costas are together very hard to ignore. The outrage over ignoring this or brushing it aside on some hair-splitting technicality is too much for the NCAA to take. They have to do something. Once that Rubicon is crossed it has to be more severe than USC. Whether or not they have the guts to invoke the death penalty or not is hard to tell.

There is certainly an argument that to be fair to USC, OSU, Miami etc, something has to be done. NCAA can;'t have a double standard in the favor of PSU on this one. Wonder is Vegas has a line on this.

You have way too much drama in this. The NCAA can dodge this if they want. The average sports fan doesn't really know what the NCAA is or what they really do.

And Bob Costas as an "opinion leader"? You must be kidding. Who in America waits for Costas to form an opinion and then follow him?

And that's what they'll eventually do. But it will be a largely "symbolic" thing. Lot's of sound and fury but a minimum of actual bleeding.

This is spot on. If Penn State doesn't do this, how can anyone look at them as an actual "university"? At that point, Penn State is a football program that has classes for the sake of being able to compete in college football.

Forget football, I have no respect for Penn State as an institution of higher learning.