OT- NCAA tried to bluff Penn State into sanctions | Syracusefan.com

OT- NCAA tried to bluff Penn State into sanctions

The emails also revealed that NCAA officials knew they had no jurisdictional claim over Penn State, but chose to act anyway with the assumption that the university would comply based on fear of embarrassment.

Wow, just wow! The bullies on the block taking advantage of a criminal tragedy by punishing players, assistant coaches and an entire community who were innocent and equally horrified. ONLY because they thought they could get away with it. I am sorry I read this while eating my breakfast.

The emails also revealed that NCAA officials knew they had no jurisdictional claim over Penn State, but chose to act anyway with the assumption that the university would comply based on fear of embarrassment.

Wow, just wow! The bullies on the block taking advantage of a criminal tragedy by punishing players, assistant coaches and an entire community who were innocent and equally horrified. ONLY because they thought they could get away with it. I am sorry I read this while eating my breakfast.

I wouldn't feel too badly about punishments that were imposed upon a culture run amok, rampant with people willing to canonize a man who'd intentionally covered up child rape for years to protect the interests of his football program. They are hardly "victims."

I wouldn't feel too badly about punishments that were imposed upon a culture run amok, rampant with people willing to canonize a man who'd intentionally covered up child rape for years to protect the interests of his football program. They are hardly "victims."
I think once it sank into people that their Saintly Coach had been part of an indifference to this horrific crime, most were devastated. It was not their fault and they didn't need to be "punished." Reality was punishment enough. Nor did the players need to be punished. The only victims were the children.

I think once it sank into people that their Saintly Coach had been part of an indifference to this horrific crime, most were devastated. It was not their fault and they didn't need to be "punished." Reality was punishment enough. Nor did the players need to be punished. The only victims were the children.

I'll respectfully disagree. Any culture that could perpetuate a child molester by allowing him to resign rather than fire him / turn him over to the authorities, sweep it under the rug, and then willingly grant him access to campus facilities for nearly a decade--where more child rape was perpetrated--despite knowing what Sandusky was up to and had done is a culture that deserves to be punished.

Frankly, the sanctions didn't go nearly far enough.

And yes, I recognize that there were people who were devestated by the truth of that scandal. There's also an equally large contingent of people who feel vindicated now that the sanctions have been lessened. The culture didn't change one bit; the earth should have been scorched to ensure that it did.

Last edited:
I'll respectfully disagree. Any culture that could perpetuate a child molester by allowing him to resign rather than fire him / turn him over to the authorities, sweep it under the rug, and then willingly grant him access to campus facilities for nearly a decade--where more child rape was perpetrated--despite knowing what Sandusky was up to and had done is a culture that deserves to be punished.

Frankly, the sanctions didn't go nearly far enough.

And yes, I recognize that there were people who were devestated by the truth of that scandal. There's also an equally large contingent of people who feel vindicated now that the sanctions have been lessened. The culture didn't change one bit; the earth should have been scorched to ensure that it did.
I understand. I am thinking about it from the viewpoint of the fans and the players. The law needs to be the "scorched earth," not IMO the NCAA. The university should be the scorched earth, not the NCAA. This had nothing to do with Penn State players. My viewpoint is influenced by ex-neighbors who really did worship Paterno. After the scandal broke, they could barely function. I suppose it's like finding out you're in the Matrix. They will never forgive him, but they still root for Penn State football. I don't see why they shouldn't.

I completely get your anger and disgust. I feel it, too. We can agree to disagree. Go SU!

If you punish the team you punish the fans anyway you slice it. I think a one year ban is fair in every case.

For the fans sake the ncaa should never go out of their way to punish a program digging for alot of little things (cough cough). Recruiting violations like uk is doing the past five years, or illegal scandels where coahces need to be removed should be a one year ban, and senior players should be given opportunity to transfer, or play another year after a ban.

Considering Sandusky was a coach and not even a player or difference maker on the field, its perplexing the staff kept quiet though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom