OT: Need Suggestons on driving Syr to Brooklyn | Syracusefan.com

OT: Need Suggestons on driving Syr to Brooklyn

All American
Also posted on Football board...

Ok, my daughter is moving to Brooklyn (Jefferson Ave). I have zero experience driving in NYC and will likely be driving a small U-Haul.

Google suggests 81 to PA to NJ, Holland tunnel, thru lower Manhattan and over to Brooklyn.

Is there a better or "easier" route from Syracuse?? I'd like to avoid driving through Manhattan if possible.

Thank you in advance to anyone who cares to comment/offer suggestions.

Brian

Lived in the area all my life, know Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan very well. For this kind of trip and especially if you have no experience driving in Manhattan, do not go the Holland Tunnel route!

It depends on where in Brooklyn, but you do not want to drive in lower Manhattan if you can avoid it. So, try to see if you can go via the Verrazano and Belt Parkway, etc. BQE is another way, but again, just not through lower Manhattan. It's congested down there and sort of confusing where, if you miss a turn, you're cooked in bumper to bumper, traffic lights back up far in that area. Very hard to get back to where you were supposed to go.

I'm guessing your best bet would be Verrazano bridge even if it's a bit out of the way.

You can also take Rte. 81 to Route 17 to Rte. 87 South. Take Rte. 87 the whole way down to NYC and use the RFK/Triboro Bridge to Queens, then the Brooklyn Queens Expressway (BQE---Rte. 278. You will have to take follow the "truck route" for about a mile at the end of the RFK/Triboro Bridge to get to the BQE (Follow signs to Rte. 278

Last edited:
You can also take Rte. 81 to Route 17 to Rte. 87 South. Take Rte. 87 the whole way down to NYC and use the RFK/Triboro Bridge to Queens, then the Brooklyn Queens Expressway (BQE---Rte. 278. You will have to take follow the "truck route" for about a mile at the end of the RFK/Triboro Bridge to get to the BQE (Follow signs to Rte. 278
This is probably the easiest route...81 to 17 at Binghamton and then to 87 (Thruway) to NYC.
Definitely best to avoid lower Manhattan...even this weekend when the city is empty.
Happy driving.

Go through Connecticut, take the Bridgeport Ferry, and have a relaxing trip with your daughter!

I live in central Jersey and drive this trip often as I have family in Buffalo. I used to go 81-80-280 route when I lived in northern Jersey but found myself pulling out my hair with all the traffic on 80. Another route to consider is 81-380-80-33-78-287-Verrazano. Traffic usually doesn't get bad until exit 10 on 287

Lived in the area all my life, know Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan very well. For this kind of trip and especially if you have no experience driving in Manhattan, do not go the Holland Tunnel route!

It depends on where in Brooklyn, but you do not want to drive in lower Manhattan if you can avoid it. So, try to see if you can go via the Verrazano and Belt Parkway, etc. BQE is another way, but again, just not through lower Manhattan. It's congested down there and sort of confusing where, if you miss a turn, you're cooked in bumper to bumper, traffic lights back up far in that area. Very hard to get back to where you were supposed to go.

I'm guessing your best bet would be Verrazano bridge even if it's a bit out of the way.
What if he goes at night? I always found less resistance, back in the day when I went there a lot.

If you were going yesterday or today, I'd almost say the opposite and do the Holland Tunnel. The traffic isn't that bad on weekends. Plus, you drive right by the new World Trade Center, and its an amazing view.

I also find that driving into and around the city is much easier than it was pre-GPS. Your mistakes don't set you back more than a minute or two, whereas I had made hour plus mistakes years ago.

Reactions: 007
Don't go through lower Manhattan. Even if you know where you are going, traffic can be a killer. Also, try to avoid New Jersey (nothing good has ever happened to me as a motorist there).

I would suggest getting to the Tappan Zee Bridge (either via NYS Thruway or the 81/17/87 combo. Exit bridge onto Cross Westchester Expressway (Rte 287); take Cross Westchester to I-95 south; take 95 to Whitestone Bridge and then take BQE to wherever you're going in Brooklyn. If you are driving without a u-haul, take the Hutchinson River Parkway south.. rather than I-95. (This route avoids Manhattan, the Cross-Bronx Expressway and New Jersey).

Or, even better, take 84/east to 684/south to 287/east to either the Hutch or 95/South. There is never congestion on the Newburgh/Beacon Bridge. All those lower Hudson crossings can be bad ... especially the ones going into Manhattan. I-684 is one of the best-kept secrets in NYC metro area. There is never any traffic.

Also, I would suggest renting a large SUV (Yukon, Tacoma or something) or a large Suburban rather than a U-Haul. I've driven in NYC all my life, and would not want to drive (or try to park) a U-Haul there.

Last edited:
Orangeyes said:
What if he goes at night? I always found less resistance, back in the day when I went there a lot.

I was always told to avoid the roads 8am-10am and 3-7pm which I agree with if you want to avoid heavy traffic in the NYC area. I have the luck of being married to a girl from Long Island and travel a lot around northern NJ for work an find that traveling in the NYC area any time but these makes life easier!

Went from NJ to Long Beach on south shore of Long Island today. Headed out after 7:30, not a pocket of traffic. Just cruised, less than an hour including two tunnels, crosstown, nj, queens and LI. Going back, I expected rougher. Took a lot longer, one bit of traffic but not too bad. Would have been three hours if it wasn't for my brother steering me away from rockaway and the belt. Can't believe my luck today. Like a sneak thief. I really should give back to the community right now. :)

Definitely Verrazano/Goethals bridges. Having gone from Central New York to Brooklyn (Coney Island/Bensonhurst) over a hundred times, trying every possible route, I'm confident that this is the quickest way to drive down there.