OT: No Big East Tournament For UConn If NCAA Ban Holds Up | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: No Big East Tournament For UConn If NCAA Ban Holds Up

the apr rule is a joke, if this keeps up, more than just uconn will be banned down the road

If this rule had been in place 20 years ago, at least we wouldn't have suffered a 33 point beatdown by Seton Hall in the BET finals.

The intent of the rule ("student athletes should be students") is fine. The current implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

Ideally there'd be a system similar to baseball. Kids could get drafted and go directly to the NBDL for at least a year (I guess that part is already in place) or go to school and then not be eligible for the draft for 2 (or 3 or 4?) years. The question is, what happens to kids in school that have academic issues? I gather that there would be some sort of supplemental draft whereby they could end up in the NBDL and not be eligible to enter the NBA until they would have been eligible had they stayed in school.

The only issue with the APR is how to account for "student/athletes" that declare for or are eligible for the NBA draft. Every student worth his/her salt will prepare for a big interview, be it on campus or off campus. That preparation, however, rarely takes time away from the student's ability to finish classes.

The months of March, April and May are "interviews" for NBA-hopeful former college basketball players. These months require travel (Chicago "combine" if you are invited), several combine type scrimmages (ex. Portsmouth Invitational), interviews by teams throughout the nation, workouts with teams, individual workouts at facilities specified by an agent ... The list goes on.

It would be irresponsible for an NBA-hopeful former college basketball player to NOT do EVERYTHING within his power to be in the best possible position to "wow" the league executives during this runup to the draft. Finishing off a sociology 200 class does not fit within this construct. Nor must it.

The realities also include the fact that the majority of men's college basketball players need and/or rely upon the significant assistance provided by athletic departments in maintaining eligibility/excelling academically. During March, April/May after declaring for the draft, this assistance is no longer provided (or at a bare minimum - it is not available while the player is on the road doing the things necessary to prepare himself for the draft).

This is why the APR as to this one issue makes little sense. Requiring "student/athletes" to meet certain criteria along their path while in school makes sense. And this should be a requirement put on the schools. But the issues above are very concerning.

PS - Because most incoming freshmen college basketball players earn anywhere from six to ten credits during the summer before their freshman years, it seems much easier for a "one-and-done" player to be eligible even if that student does not finish out the Spring semester.

Does the APR apply to football as well as basketball? What about the other sports? I know football has a larger talent base, so if a couple of kids leave not in academic good standing, it doesn't appear to hurt as much but shouldn't it? If AG3 is not in good standing, shouldn't his leaving early be as big a deal as Dion leaving? Nobody seems to care that he is taking time off to attend pre-draft camp or entertaining agents and such.

I agree. Schools should not be held responsible for bringing in questionable "students".

I wonder how bad of a hit UNC is going to take this year with half their team leaving.

Dan Patrick is discussing the possibility that Shaki Smart is holding out for the Uconn on his show today. Would they force Calhoun out to lock him down?

The thought of UConn not being in the BET is depressing to me. There are few things in sports that give me an adrenaline rush like Cuse/UConn in the Garden.

The thought of UConn not being in the BET is depressing to me. There are few things in sports that give me an adrenaline rush like Cuse/UConn in the Garden.

Exactly. Thursday at noon and the garden was full and rocking this year.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

If Lamb and Drummond leave and the ban stays in place, UConn wouldn't play Cuse anyway (in all likelihood).

Dan Patrick is discussing the possibility that Shaki Smart is holding out for the Uconn on his show today. Would they force Calhoun out to lock him down?

I doubt they would "force" Calhoun out for anyone. He might step down due to his age and health and they may discuss it, but if he wants to stay they aren't getting rid of him. I mean they wouldn't buy him out.

Does the APR apply to football as well as basketball? What about the other sports? I know football has a larger talent base, so if a couple of kids leave not in academic good standing, it doesn't appear to hurt as much but shouldn't it? If AG3 is not in good standing, shouldn't his leaving early be as big a deal as Dion leaving? Nobody seems to care that he is taking time off to attend pre-draft camp or entertaining agents and such.

As far as I know it is the same. You are correct it takes almost 7-8 football players to equal one basketball player's affect on APR. Can't hurt the revenue stream, football runs the show.

If the NCAA does change to "newer" scores to use for the 2013 tournament, then all teams that would be banned for the 2014 season would be banned for the 2013 season's tournament. Obviously, the 2012 scores have not even been gathered/released yet. If it is true that Cuse would be banned in 2014 (as some have said may happen in this thread) this could mean Cuse could be banned from the NCAAT next year as well as the BET, if the NCAA changes to "newer" scores. The NCAA is set to discuss this in June/July.

I happen to doubt they will use the "newer" scores.

People are just assuming we "might" get a ban. Noone knows for sure. Waiters "says" he will complete his school work but who knows. As far as UNC goes, they are losing 3 underclassmen. This whole thing is such a joke. Are we really that out of control that we have APR issues with a guy here and there going pro early while UK and UNC lose half their team early, year after year yet somehow have no problem with the APR?

Which is why I think we will get things in order.

For Yukon this is simply karma biting them in the ass after beltway ballers, laptop gate, etc.

People are just assuming we "might" get a ban. Noone knows for sure. Waiters "says" he will complete his school work but who knows. As far as UNC goes, they are losing 3 underclassmen. This whole thing is such a joke. Are we really that out of control that we have APR issues with a guy here and there going pro early while UK and UNC lose half their team early, year after year yet somehow have no problem with the APR?
It is not the guys leaving early that is the issue. It is if they are in academic good standing or not. I'm not sure what that means exactly. As a freshman decades ago, I only had to have like a 1.6 or 1.7 cum to be in good standing after freshman year. I could fail 2 and get B's in two and meet that standard. Now if these other schools get a class load where a b-ball player is carrying only 12 credits of courses that don't require class attendance or alot of outside work, then these guys could easily get high enough grades to meet the criteria. I jokingly said the other day maybe Kentucky allows its students to take their baskets on the road to be worked on. And this may be closer to the truth than it seems. Like some sort of lit class might allow outside reading that could be covered in Cliff notes and make it easy to get passing grades. It may only take a little effort to get minimum grades. It all depends on the courses and if the kid want to do even that, or has the incentive to do so.

You are correct that people are just assuming; it's all conjecture right now, we don't know what the scores are going to be.

It is definitely worth asking how come we had so many problems in 2009, when other schools, as you mention, have guys leave early nearly every year.

Uk has had one guy (orton) leave in bad standing since cal got there, he left school to go home mid semester so they had no chance in covering that up since it was made public...there is no friggin way all those one and dones are going to class taking their finals etc. and doing well, i ont care what anyone says i dont buy it

Yeah...how dare the schools face consequences for recruiting kids who have no interest in academics. I don't care if these are supposed to be institutions of higher learning. I demand to be entertained!
The problem is not the academic motivation possessed by these "student-athletes"... it's the professors who choose to fail these students just because their made-up policy says so. They need to put their ego aside and realize that the overall economic and psychological benefits reaped by their community/fan base/alumni far outweigh any sense of moral conviction. Education and athletics big-wigs need to be on the same wavelength. How else do you think Marcus Cousins managed to stay eligible for an entire year?