OT - Ped State shows its class again | Syracusefan.com

OT - Ped State shows its class again

The best part about not joining a frat for me was I was able to get an off-campus house and live it up with all my friends, but we didn't have to abuse each other in order to prove that we were friends. It was great.

As a person who joined a fraternity, I'd say the "abuse" is more about proving you want to be a brother which entails service/dues/showing up/being there for everyone and not just proving you'll be a "buddy".

Regardless, it should never cost a life or even come close to hospitalizing somebody. After all, you want these kids to be your brothers.

Glad Penn St. found a line of morality somewhere between sexual assaulting youths and murder/death.

The best part about not joining a frat for me was I was able to get an off-campus house and live it up with all my friends, but we didn't have to abuse each other in order to prove that we were friends. It was great.

i agree. Never got the whole frat thing. Had plenty of friends without having to do any of that crap. Plus I would have punched someone if I went through the whole process. It was a win win for everyone

Penn St's fraternity row needed to be shut down a long time ago. Visited their once and it was a scary place lol.

Best part for me was not being in an all male group centered on Greek culture.

Penn St's fraternity row needed to be shut down a long time ago. Visited their once and it was a scary place lol.
Never mind the $10,000,000 the PSU greek community helped the university raise last year to help fund the search for a cure to pediatric cancer during PSU's annual Thon philanthropy event. They must all be bad, shut 'em down.

Unfortunate how the bad few cause such a bad reputation for the great many. Stereotyping continues to rear its ugly head in our society.

Edit: I know my fraternity's PSU chapter raised over $133,000 alone this year for the THON event. It's a shame how the great qualities of being a part of Greek Life are overshadowed by some scores of chapters that don't uphold their own national fraternities values let alone greek life's as a whole.

Last edited:
Never mind the $10,000,000 the PSU greek community helped the university raise last year to help fund the search for a cure to pediatric cancer during PSU's annual Thon philanthropy event. They must all be bad, shut 'em down.

Unfortunate how the bad few cause such a bad reputation for the great many. Stereotyping continues to rear its ugly head in our society.

Edit: I know my fraternity's PSU chapter raised over $133,000 alone this year for the THON event. It's a shame how the great qualities of being a part of Greek Life are overshadowed by some scores of chapters that don't uphold their own national fraternities values let alone greek life's as a whole.
LOL I never said shut down the fraternities at all. GREEK ROW IS A SCARY PLACE that's all I said. I'm a proud member of a fraternity that I know first hand how much good work we did and still do. I'm the last person that will stereotype as I am one. The university does not do a good job of making sure the few bad ones don't give us all a bad name.

Other fraternities at other universities have had this problem. I would not be surprised if SU did at some point. The question is do they sweep it under the rug as this individual fraternity did and is the fraternity in question barred from campus including losing its house if that is legal for Ped State to do?

LOL I never said shut down the fraternities at all. GREEK ROW IS A SCARY PLACE that's all I said. I'm a proud member of a fraternity that I know first hand how much good work we did and still do. I'm the last person that will stereotype as I am one. The university does not do a good job of making sure the few bad ones don't give us all a bad name.
Misread what you said and took it the worst way, my apologies.

Other fraternities at other universities have had this problem. I would not be surprised if SU did at some point. The question is do they sweep it under the rug as this individual fraternity did and is the fraternity in question barred from campus including losing its house if that is legal for Ped State to do?

From what I understand PSU suspended/barred all greek life from participating in fall recruitment this coming fall. That's ridiculous. That's punishing thousands for the actions of one fraternity. It makes no sense. It's not setting a precedent, all it does is encourage more to be done underground and without the university's involvement which creates more similar issues.

I think PSU should kick this fraternity off campus, yes. This is inexcusable. Don't punish non involved organizations though, that's absurd.

Don't give the fraternity's national organization a say, ban those letters from campus. They cost a life.

Last edited:
From what I understand PSU suspended/barred all greek life from participating in fall recruitment this coming fall. That's ridiculous. That's punishing thousands for the actions of one fraternity. It makes no sense. It's not setting a precedent, all it does is encourage more to be done underground and without the university's involvement which creates more similar issues.

I think PSU should kick this fraternity off campus, yes. This is inexcusable. Don't punish non involved organizations though, that's absurd.

Don't give the fraternity's national organization a say, ban those letters from campus. They cost a life.
I'd like a citation but if you are right then yes it's too much especially punishing the sororities where hazing is of a different type ( usually not so much liquor or drugs)

I'd like a citation but if you are right then yes it's too much especially punishing the sororities where hazing is of a different type ( usually not so much liquor or drugs)

"Fraternities and sororities at Penn State will not recruit or accept new members at the start of the fall semester, Penn State announced today. The university says “more disturbing facts have emerged, including a persistent pattern of serious alcohol abuse, hazing, and the use and sale of illicit drugs” in the investigation of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, prompting these new regulations."

Penn State Cancels Fall 2017 Greek Recruitment, Imposes Additional Social Regulations

Punishing the many for the acts of the few. Penn St. doing everything it can to encourage a dangerous, underground, unregulated greek life. That is dangerous.

Yeah, because
“more disturbing facts have emerged, including a persistent pattern of serious alcohol abuse, hazing, and the use and sale of illicit drugs”
none of these things are happening amongst non-Greek college students... :rolleyes:

Yeah, because
none of these things are happening amongst non-Greek college students... :rolleyes:

Swinging at the low hanging fruit to appease the donors and lawyers...

Something PSU has championed.

"Fraternities and sororities at Penn State will not recruit or accept new members at the start of the fall semester, Penn State announced today. The university says “more disturbing facts have emerged, including a persistent pattern of serious alcohol abuse, hazing, and the use and sale of illicit drugs” in the investigation of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, prompting these new regulations."

Penn State Cancels Fall 2017 Greek Recruitment, Imposes Additional Social Regulations

Punishing the many for the acts of the few. Penn St. doing everything it can to encourage a dangerous, underground, unregulated greek life. That is dangerous.
Thanks. Yep. An overreaction. But ya know it's just the kids, the ones who the university is supposed to be for, the students who pay the $ or mom and dad do or loans and scholarships do. As opposed to the ones who REALLY count, the administration and trustees.

The REAL problem with Greek life is that the drinking age is 21, so frats and sororities hold the keys to booze parties on campus. When students are treated like adults and allowed to drink in bars and restaurants at age 18, like when I went to college, you don't have the super rapey culture, the binge drinking of hard liquor, kids carrying flasks, etc., which leads to much of the abusive and dangerous behavior. Restore sanity. Teach kids how to consume alcohol responsibly. Lower the drinking age t0 18.

The REAL problem with Greek life is that the drinking age is 21, so frats and sororities hold the keys to booze parties on campus. When students are treated like adults and allowed to drink in bars and restaurants at age 18, like when I went to college, you don't have the super rapey culture, the binge drinking of hard liquor, kids carrying flasks, etc., which leads to much of the abusive and dangerous behavior. Restore sanity. Teach kids how to consume alcohol responsibly. Lower the drinking age t0 18.

Lol Matt. Back then the frat boys were into seduction via booze, not coercion via booze and drugs.

Ask me how I know...

Best part for me was not being in an all male group centered on Greek culture.

Hmmm... My Fraternity experience involved plenty of girls and I couldnt tell you a single thing about the Greek Culture other than the letters.