OT Poll -- The Melk Man | Syracusefan.com

OT Poll -- The Melk Man

Was the Melk Man smart to gamble on PEDs?

• He didn't use them. The test was rigged!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

billsin01

All American
I would post something related to Syracuse football if there were anything to post. I literally can't even read through injury reports about upper and lower body injuries.

So, since there is no football to talk about, let's talk Melk Man. Figured it would be interesting to see what people think of his PED use. We're talking about a guy who prior to last season with KC had a career-high average of .280 (first year in the league), had reached double-digits in home runs just once (despite hitting lefty a lot in The Toilet, ideal for lefties), had a career high OPS of .752 in 2009 and was coming off a year with a .671 OPS -- in other words, the Melk Man was a fifth outfielder with a good nickname and dim career prospects.

Then, out of nowhere, he hits .305 in 2011 with the Royals, knocks out 18 home runs and drives in 87. Follows that up by moving to San Fran -- a pitcher's park in a division full of absolutely miserable hitter's parks -- and puts up absurd numbers on his way to an All-Star MVP honor.

So I ask this -- if we assume, as is reasonable, that The Melk Man found a good PED somewhere around 2011, was it worth it for him to take the risk? I mean, the guy is on his way out of the league at that point and, even after getting caught, he's going to get a decent deal to play somewhere. Even if he was banned from baseball, it was worth a shot, no?

What say you?

I would post something related to Syracuse football if there were anything to post. I literally can't even read through injury reports about upper and lower body injuries.

So, since there is no football to talk about, let's talk Melk Man. Figured it would be interesting to see what people think of his PED use. We're talking about a guy who prior to last season with KC had a career-high average of .280 (first year in the league), had reached double-digits in home runs just once (despite hitting lefty a lot in The Toilet, ideal for lefties), had a career high OPS of .752 in 2009 and was coming off a year with a .671 OPS -- in other words, the Melk Man was a fifth outfielder with a good nickname and dim career prospects.

Then, out of nowhere, he hits .305 in 2011 with the Royals, knocks out 18 home runs and drives in 87. Follows that up by moving to San Fran -- a pitcher's park in a division full of absolutely miserable hitter's parks -- and puts up absurd numbers on his way to an All-Star MVP honor.

So I ask this -- if we assume, as is reasonable, that The Melk Man found a good PED somewhere around 2011, was it worth it for him to take the risk? I mean, the guy is on his way out of the league at that point and, even after getting caught, he's going to get a decent deal to play somewhere. Even if he was banned from baseball, it was worth a shot, no?

What say you?
When does MLB declare him ineligible for the batting title and void the ASG MVP and award AL the WS 7th game. All should be done.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Defintely worth a shot for the Melk Man, but now I'm wondering if they should test Buster Posey too.

He was inspired by Jason Giambi, who used 'roids in Oakland to get that contract from NY. Melky just never learned how to conceal it. Of course Giambi never had to worry about that in Oakland since they didn't test back then.

He was inspired by Jason Giambi, who used 'roids in Oakland to get that contract from NY. Melky just never learned how to conceal it. Of course Giambi never had to worry about that in Oakland since they didn't test back then.

haha yes, a lot easier to conceal when there is no one to conceal them from.

When does MLB declare him ineligible for the batting title and void the ASG MVP and award AL the WS 7th game. All should be done.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I didn't realize he was responsible for all 8 runs and pitched a shutout. damn, those roids really do make you super human

In all honesty, there have got to be way more that do this and just haven't been caught yet. Seems like a no brainer to do.

I'm not even kidding.

In all honesty, there have got to be way more that do this and just haven't been caught yet. Seems like a no brainer to do.

I'm not even kidding.

I think if you assume everyone does you're probably better off than if you assume only the guys that have been caught do it.

Either legalize them, or permanently ban every player who tests positive.

I think if you assume everyone does you're probably better off than if you assume only the guys that have been caught do it.
Ptetty much.

Melky always failed to impress me when he was with the Yankees. I was amazed when he seemed to suddenly come to life.

In 2010/11, unless he had an MBA and knew how to speak Chinese, it was probably his best and last option.

He blew a ton of money in free agent value by getting busted, but he'll probably still be better off being busted than by not using.

He was in line for a FA deal in the neighborhood of 5/75 before he tested positive. Now I'd be slightly surprised if he got anything more than a one-year guarantee deal to prove himself, and it would only be to a team that can take the PR hit of having a busted PED user - maybe around $3.5M, certainly not much more than that.

In an alternate universe where he doesn't even use PEDs and disappoints in KC, I don't think anyone gives him a major-league contract in 2012, so from a purely financial standpoint, he's probably still better off getting busted than playing it safe.

Overturn the ASG? Really? The AL got curb-stomped. The NL would've still won handily without Melky.

Well, the irony is that as much as his fellow Giants hate him for letting them down (think Fab Melo with spikes), if they make the World Series, they'll have Melky to thank for helping them get home field advantage -- not that it's done much good for them so far this year!-VBGiantsFan

P.S.: So far I've watched Melo sabotage SU's NC hopes, and now The Melkman Dumpeth on my Giants. What similar catastrophe awaits the Bills, I wonder? Is it too late to start rooting for the Patriots so that they might implode (the Jets have a nice head start in that direction, to be sure)?-VBOF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom