OT: Pretty funny. Top 10 trashiest places to live in NYS | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Pretty funny. Top 10 trashiest places to live in NYS

I have to bring back this thread to ask if you know where Joseph O Lampe, SU alum, trustee, and philanthropic donor, was from. The Culinary Hub of the Lally Complex is now named after him. He spent his youth in none other than Gloversville NY USA. His father worked for the Schine organization. Another interesting SU Gloversville connection; pretty good for my small town.
Never knew that he had a Gloversville connection. He always mentioned how he even started his life being born right next to SU at Good Shepherd Hospital in Syracuse which later became Syracuse University’s Huntington’s Hall after the hospital’s closing. Nice man I was fortunate to have met years ago.

Man i"m from Fulton and i dont get why people think they deserve to be on list. 10 years ago definitely but there has been enough improvement to the city that I dont think they should be there. Most of abandoned buildinhs got torn down and have been gaining multiple new businesses within past couple of years

Man i"m from Fulton and i dont get why people think they deserve to be on list. 10 years ago definitely but there has been enough improvement to the city that I dont think they should be there. Most of abandoned buildinhs got torn down and have been gaining multiple new businesses within past couple of years
That's nice to hear. The last time I was there it looked pretty bad. I was sad to hear Sweet Inspirations closed. As a car guy, the sock hops were great. I'll be up there in a couple weeks, so I'll have drive through and see all the changes.

fulton used to have the brewerys . they still open ? had many friends who lost good paying jobs there. Anyhoo was back up in the mohawk region last week and finally got to dine at the famous haunted beardsley castle. was closed when i was there in '87 and on fire when i was there in '89. great food and a fun place to explore. (check out the dungeon). menus appeared on the table mysteriously .do i need to tip a ghost ? shout out to the good folk of little falls.

fulton used to have the brewerys . they still open ? had many friends who lost good paying jobs there. Anyhoo was back up in the mohawk region last week and finally got to dine at the famous haunted beardsley castle. was closed when i was there in '87 and on fire when i was there in '89. great food and a fun place to explore. (check out the dungeon). menus appeared on the table mysteriously .do i need to tip a ghost ? shout out to the good folk of little falls.
Are you asking if Fulton still has Miller brewery? They closed up shop around '94.

Are you asking if Fulton still has Miller brewery? They closed up shop around '94.
Yup. The container plants, Miller Brewery, Birds Eye, Nestles all closed in Fulton.

My college friends come visit me in my small town 15 minutes outside of Utica and still can't believe it is a real place with real people lol

Did you take them to the Utica Club.....or, isn't that a real place?

i stayed in utica and new hartford earlier this summer. there're worse places believe me.
anyone else remember the BEAR ROAD MOTEL just north of syracuse ?

Hey! My beloved city of Gloversville is being besmirched. I, SU class of 1964, and my father before me, SU class of 1926, are Gloversville people. I've been here all my life. A lot of SU grads and fans here. Let me tell you some things about Gloversville. There are Gloversville and Syracuse U connections.

But first, I know Sno Kone Joe - he lives a few houses away from me, and he is a nice guy who is protective of his business, as we all would be. Mr Ding-A-Ling is owned by an out-of-towner so I always give my business to the Gloversville fellow, Sno Kone Joe, to help the local economy. I also give my business to his Gloversville competitor, Mr Pop Pop, a friend who has great chocolate ice cream tacos. If a parade goes by my house (I live on the local parade route), I'll let Mr Pop Pop set up on my lawn. Please don't tell Sno Kone Joe about this, as I don't want any trouble.

More about G-ville, as we call it. At one time, it was a very prosperous community. As our name suggests, we had the world's glove industry here. My grandpa on my mother's side manufactured gloves. Why did the city become the center of the world's glove industry. Because of forests of hemlock trees, which produces bark used in the tanning process. Because of many deer for deerskin gloves. Because of an abundance of soft water. Soft for the best tanning.

G-ville and SU connection #1. As for the water, G-ville is in Fulton County which is known as the Land of 44 Lakes. We have a lot of water bodies but 44 may not be exactly right. You see, the G-ville advertising professional who coined the phrase tried to count the lakes but gave up. For instance, is a "pond" or is a man-made "reservoir" really a "lake?" He had trouble with the count but needed a number. Then, as he told me, he thought of his favorite SU football players, Brown, Davis, and Little, all wearing 44. He decided "That's it, 44 Lakes." So we are the Land of 44 Lakes, all because of SUs illustrious 44s, even though 44 lakes is not exactly true. Most locals believe we have 44 lakes, but I just gave you the true story. Just don't tell anybody, as I don't want any trouble.

G-ville and SU connection #2. There is a mural on an outside wall of the Huntington Beard Crouse Hall. It is The Passion of Sacco and Vanzetti, by noted artist Ben Shahn. It is a work of art on a side of a building. Among the several people instrumental in obtaining this for the SU campus was a G-ville person who knew Shahn. The mural would not be there if not for this person, whose daughter attended SU. It is dedicated to the memory of a young man killed in an accident while an SU student; the G-ville person was a friend of that family who live in our twin city of Johnstown NY.

G-ville and SU connection #3. SU has the Schine Student Center. The Schines were Gloversville people, very successful in the movie theater and hotel business. Their daughter, also very successful, SU class 1950, was the benefactor of the building, dedicated to her parents. Our families were acquainted and her parents and mine are buried in a Gloversville cemetery in plots next to each other.

So, Gloversville, which can be a nice place to live, is a bit downtrodden, but had a proud past, and some interesting connections to Syracuse U.
Gloversville home of Richard Russo, my favorite author. Gloversville is also the hometown of two of my fraternity brothers from UB

Decades ago, when I was in college, people from NYC and New Jersey often thought that anything north/west of Poughkeepsie was farm land. Tell them you live in Rochester or Syracuse and they couldn't understand why u didn't know so-n-so.
Anything north of Yonkers is. “upstate”. Syracuse was way upstate

Gloversville home of Richard Russo, my favorite author. Gloversville is also the hometown of two of my fraternity brothers from UB
Richard Russo, another illustrious person from my small town Gloversville, won a Pulitzer Prize. He writes about life in fictitious communities but a lot is taken from experiences in Gloversville where he grew up. He spoke in Syracuse in 2010 as part of the Gifford Lecture Series.