OT -- random Mike Gbinije sighting | Syracusefan.com

OT -- random Mike Gbinije sighting

RF2044

Living Legend
This morning, I was flipping through the channels to see if there was anything on. One of the sports channels was playing a game from the "Basketball Africa League." I stayed on it for a few seconds as they were coming out of a timeout, just to catch a few possessions, and as the camera pans the players coming onto the court, I catch a glimpse of someone who looks like Mike Gbinije.

So I stayed on the game and watched a few minutes to confirm. Turns out, it was a playoff elimination game, and Mike's team was trailing late in the second half. Mike drilled back to back threes with about two minutes to go to cut the lead to 2. Other team called a timeout, and then they flashed his stats. Looks like he's the team's point guard. Had 10 points [after the 2 threes], 13 rebounds, and 5 assists.

His team fell apart after that, and ended up losing by about 8. Several bad turnovers down the stretch. The quality of play was poor -- reminded me of the NBA combine games I watched the other day, with guys trying to do too much, leaving their feet, making bad / long passes, etc.

But a random Mike G. sighting out of the blue. Hope he's making decent $$$ in South Africa [no idea what the pay scale is].

Last edited:
I saw some of that game. It was pretty bad basketball but Mike looked polished and out of place, perhaps because of the various programs and teachings (high school, AAU, Duke, Syracuse) that he went through.

This morning, I was flipping through the channels to see if there was anything on. One of the sports channels was playing a game from the "Basketball Africa League." I stayed on it for a few seconds as they were coming out of a timeout, just to catch a few possessions, and as the camera pans the players coming onto the court, I catch a glimpse of someone who looks like Mike Gbinije.

So I stayed on the game and watched a few minutes to confirm. Turns out, it was a playoff elimination game, and Mike's team was trailing late in the second half. Mike drilled back to back threes with about two minutes to go to cut the lead to 2. Other team called a timeout, and then they flashed his stats. Looks like he's the team's point guard. Had 10 points [after the 2 threes], 13 rebounds, and 5 assists.

His team fell apart after that, and ended up losing by about 8. Several bad turnovers down the stretch. The quality of play was poor -- reminded me of the NBA combine games I watched the other day, with guys trying to do too much, leaving their feet, making bad / long passes, etc.

But a random Mike G. sighting out of the blue. Hope he's making decent $$$ in South Africa [no idea what the pay scale is].

i think i saw him once at GBEST GBUYS. he was buying GbatorADE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom