ot: renting in brooklyn | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ot: renting in brooklyn

probably true...

but i am now a homeowner and paying $1,300 less EVERY single month on a 3000 sq ft house with top end finishings.

To top that, IF i really need too... the seller paid my closing costs and my broker costs (same with renters in atl).

IF i need to go any further, my wife happens works for delta so i fly to nyc for free on any decent wknd (cool parties, random wknds, cuse games, or just because).

Oh and i have a backyard but can walk to 10 restaurants within 5 blocks.

Call me crazy, but why in the samhell would anyone pay $3000 per month!! plus fees???? to live anywhere? unless of course, you are making $1,000,000 or more. anything less and it just doesn't make much sense to me.
Dude, New York is New York and Atlanta is Atlanta. They are in different stratospheres.

Whoever said ... wander around the neighborhood and talk to doormen/supers has the right idea. Back when I rented in Manhattan, that is how I found my apartments. Building owners/managers use their doormen/supers to screen potential rental candidates. I have recommended this approach to others, and it has always worked. There is a lot of stuff on the market that is not advertised.

Are you set on that hood? There's a few neighborhoods in queens that offer similar amenities and have cheaper rent on average (Astoria, Long Island City, Sunnyside).
Astoria all the way

wow, the rent in brooklyn sure has gone up since i lived there. in the late 90's i lived in center slope, carroll st between 8th avenue and the park..and it cost 1 k.

Dude, New York is New York and Atlanta is Atlanta. They are in different stratospheres.

i agree with you. but i will take my $1300 a month (in only rent savings - but i own) and visit NYC on the wknd.

I lived in the ATL after college.. I couldn't deal with a place where the city is such a bust. Nothing going on downtown. Nice areas in the suburbs to raise a family though..

downtown is for conventions, law offices, and sports. nothing else.

going there to do anything else is on you.

and i never meant to say atlanta is a better city. i just dont understand the ridiculous cost of living difference. i visit nyc at least 4 times a year. i love to visit.

Because a bad day in NYC beats a good day anywhere else (except maybe Chicago).

To each his own. I wouldn't live in NYC if you were paying the rent. Great city to visit, but to live, no thanks. And that's not a knock on NYC at all, it's just not my cup of tea