OT: Rondo chest bump | Syracusefan.com

OT: Rondo chest bump

longislandcuse

Living Legend
In the Atl/Bos game the refs made 2 horrible calls each going against the Celtics, both made by the same ref. After the second bad call Rondo chest bumped the ref and got ejected. As much as I hate the Celtics I love Rondo right now. The NBA refs are so bad and its all on display just 2 days into the playoffs. These referees need to be held accountable for the level of suck they have achieved. Hopefully a ref gets in the way of Ron Artests next elbow and hopefully the league has enough sense not to suspend Rondo for a minor chest bump.

i'm a celtics fan and he touched the ref, no matter the reason, he will be suspended for game 2 is my guess.....the first tech was the bad call...once he touched him he no choice

i'm a celtics fan and he touched the ref, no matter the reason, he will be suspended for game 2 is my guess.....the first tech was the bad call...once he touched him he no choice
I watched some of that game and it seemed that Atlanta had quite the homecourt officiating going on. The two bad calls that killed the Celtics were the out of bounds of Josh Smith that they called off Rondo which led to Rondo already being upset leading into the techincal foul ejection play, which was caused by another bad call. NBA refs have to be the worst in all the major sports.

I saw the replay and really hope David Stern doesn't drop the hammer and give him a big suspension. Rondo shouldnt have bumpd him but i hope the suspension is just 1 game and not a season crippling one for Boston. There aren't enough good refs in the NBA that are competent to handle these intense playoff games. They're saying on TNT Rondo is employing the "I tripped defense" and he accidentally bumped the official. I'm thinking Boston better go back to the drawing board and think of a better excuse than that if they want Rondo for Game 3.

They're saying on TNT Rondo is employing the "I tripped defense" and he accidentally bumped the official.

Sir Charles' analysis on Rondo's explanation... "oh, he lyin"

He's going to get suspended, I'm guessing for a game. I thought the call was right though? Live action I thought it was a jump, but seeing the replay someone did whack Josh Smith; though frequently you'll see the scrums like that just get called for jump balls.

I can't remember the first call that got Rondo mad; I think it may have been a bad one.

He's going to get suspended, I'm guessing for a game. I thought the call was right though? Live action I thought it was a jump, but seeing the replay someone did whack Josh Smith; though frequently you'll see the scrums like that just get called for jump balls.

I can't remember the first call that got Rondo mad; I think it may have been a bad one.
On the TNT halftime show they showed the call before where the ball clearly went off Josh Smith but the same ref called it off Rondo. Combined with the questionable call of a foul on a jump ball down 4, mixed in with questionable officiating all game and people lose their cool. Im suprised noone on the Knicks went off and did something stupid. I honestly cant fault Rondo, the refs need to be better. This is the playoffs and every bad call (and there are many) are magnified significantly.

On the TNT halftime show they showed the call before where the ball clearly went off Josh Smith but the same ref called it off Rondo. Combined with the questionable call of a foul on a jump ball down 4, mixed in with questionable officiating all game and people lose their cool. Im suprised noone on the Knicks went off and did something stupid. I honestly cant fault Rondo, the refs need to be better. This is the playoffs and every bad call (and there are many) are magnified significantly.

LI, he bumped an official. It doesn't matter if the refs made 100 consecutive abysmal calls that went against him, it's no excuse. He bumped an official. He has to be suspended for a game.

In the Atl/Bos game the refs made 2 horrible calls each going against the Celtics, both made by the same ref. After the second bad call Rondo chest bumped the ref and got ejected. As much as I hate the Celtics I love Rondo right now. The NBA refs are so bad and its all on display just 2 days into the playoffs. These referees need to be held accountable for the level of suck they have achieved. Hopefully a ref gets in the way of Ron Artests next elbow and hopefully the league has enough sense not to suspend Rondo for a minor chest bump.

There is no button for me to "Dislike" this post. But if I could, I would click it 100x. No offense, nothing personal. But there is NO PLACE for a player to get physical with a referee. None. I don't care how bad a call may have been. I haven't seen the game, but Rondo crossed a hard line. He got what he deserved, and the refs will be watching him very closely from now on.

I watched some of that game and it seemed that Atlanta had quite the homecourt officiating going on. The two bad calls that killed the Celtics were the out of bounds of Josh Smith that they called off Rondo which led to Rondo already being upset leading into the techincal foul ejection play, which was caused by another bad call. NBA refs have to be the worst in all the major sports.

the ball off of josh smith was a bad call, but to my recollection they never showed the replay of that.

the call that led to the technical was 100% the correct call. Bass bear hugged him from behind.

The 1st T may have been a little quick, but nothing out of the ordinary. The 2nd T was blatant. He is done for the next game. The rule is simple. Contact with the ref results in 1 game suspension. No one to blame but rondo.

LI, he bumped an official. It doesn't matter if the refs made 100 consecutive abysmal calls that went against him, it's no excuse. He bumped an official. He has to be suspended for a game.
Im not arguing the context of the rule, I get that he will be suspended. I just hate that these refs are above reproach because it seems they affect the game more than the players. We as Syracuse fans certainly understand that. " Ohio State cough cough." Basketball is a tough game to officiate but they need to do something about the theatrics because every ref falls for it. In soccer they actually card you for flopping. Basketball should give you a foul for egregious flops and at the very least can we expect them to get normal calls correct?

Im not arguing the context of the rule, I get that he will be suspended. I just hate that these refs are above reproach because it seems they affect the game more than the players. We as Syracuse fans certainly understand that. " Ohio State cough cough." Basketball is a tough game to officiate but they need to do something about the theatrics because every ref falls for it. In soccer they actually card you for flopping. Basketball should give you a foul for egregious flops and at the very least can we expect them to get normal calls correct?
The refs can call a foul for phony flops. I've only seen one this past year.

This is why the Celtics tried their best to get rid of Rondo. His attitude and prima donna nature is so well known, it overdshadows his skills. He single handedly took them out of any chance to win that game last night and jeopardized game 2 because he is selfish.

THe refs are not above reproach. That is up to the head of the referees organization and the NBA. Not Mr. Rondo, or you, or me.

the ball off of josh smith was a bad call, but to my recollection they never showed the replay of that.

the call that led to the technical was 100% the correct call. Bass bear hugged him from behind.

The 1st T may have been a little quick, but nothing out of the ordinary. The 2nd T was blatant. He is done for the next game. The rule is simple. Contact with the ref results in 1 game suspension. No one to blame but rondo.
Pretty much every analyst said it was a bad call. Tim Legler and Jalen Rose both called it a horrible call and said it should have been a jump.

I watched the whole game and i saw 2 questionable calls.

They called an egregious goaltend on josh smith. They may have missed an out of bounds call off of josh smith.

another point that the announcers commented on... An and 1 (maybe ivan johnson) for the hawks where the guy was clearly on the line and they called it a block... To me, he was just on the line, i dont know the rules but steve kerr said that should have been a block with a ft.

Pretty much every analyst said it was a bad call. Tim Legler and Jalen Rose both called it a horrible call and said it should have been a jump.

Horrible calls get made all of the time. It happens. It was the intensity of the situation and the importance of the game that magnified the emotions of the players, refs and fans. That same call, during a December NBA game would have meant nothing. Instead, Rondo let his emotions dictate his response. And his response was inappropriate. FWIW, the other ref was directly opposite the play, and he apparently saw it the same way, because he didn't call it a jump either.

I heard those 2 say it too... but I am quite sure that once they actually were able to watch the replay they changed their minds.

Here it is:
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-rondo-ejected-bumps-official-/1#.T56S97NunEM

not at any point did a celtic have a hand on the ball after kg dove and missed it. This seems to be a really easy call from my point of view.

Gotcha, I guess everything is just magnified so much that it seems worse than it is. On the jump ball/foul I would have called a jump because the ball was rolling around for a while, noone had possession so in that situation I would have let the players decide but thats just me. If I reffed there would probably be a brawl in every game I did since I wouldnt call anything so take what I say with a grain of salt haha.

Gotcha, I guess everything is just magnified so much that it seems worse than it is. On the jump ball/foul I would have called a jump because the ball was rolling around for a while, noone had possession so in that situation I would have let the players decide but thats just me. If I reffed there would probably be a brawl in every game I did since I wouldnt call anything so take what I say with a grain of salt haha.

Josh smith had possession of the balln almost the entire time... he was able to 2 hand chest pass it to JJ when the whistle was blown.

Yeah, I know what you are saying, I think in most situations that gets called a jump. (I'm assuming you have watched aobut as many Knick games as me; that is one of Mike Breen's patented lines, when he talks about how when there is a scrum on the floor they basically never call a foul). It couldn't hurt for me to see it again, but from what I remember, Smith had the ball, or was about to get it, and he was whacked right in to head by someone. (Bass?)

Also, thanks for reminding me, Rondo was pissed about the out of bounds call on the other end. Watching live, it looked like it had to go off Smith, but they never showed a replay so I dunno.

If I reffed there would probably be a brawl in every game I did since I wouldnt call anything so take what I say with a grain of salt haha.

And then Dwight Howard or some other enormous player would get angry and bump you, and you can't get mad because you just condoned it a few minutes ago.

:)

The refs in the NBA can't keep up with level of athleticism. There are more anticipated calls in the NBA than in any other league, I would wager.

Go ref in a 30+ competitive mens league for a week. Then come back and complain about officiating in basketball games. The NBA moves about 20x faster... it's not easy to call these bang bang plays with monstrous dudes all over each other. These refs aren't trying to make the wrong calls. They are graded on each game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom