OT: Rutgers football player claims defensive coordinator Dave Cohen bullied and verbally abused him | Syracusefan.com

OT: Rutgers football player claims defensive coordinator Dave Cohen bullied and verbally abused him

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Rutgers football player claims defensive coordinator Dave Cohen bullied and verbally abused him

Seven months after men’s basketball coach Mike Rice was fired for bullying his players -- leading to a national scandal, a housecleaning in the athletic department and public proclamations from school officials to halt any abuse of its student-athletes -- Rutgers is protecting another bullying coach, according to a former football player and his parents.

Defensive back Jevon Tyree and his parents, Mark and Clarice, have sought disciplinary action against defensive coordinator Dave Cohen, who during a spring study hall session, got in Tyree’s face, called him a “” and a “bitch” and threatened to head-butt him, the Tyrees told NJ.com.

The incident – which Jevon Tyree said occurred in April -- happened in front of approximately 10 teammates and a tutor, Jevon Tyree said, and it led to the 19-year-old’s escalating ostracization, eventually driving him to quit.

Clarice Tyree called it “an outright bullying episode,” and Mark Tyree said the behavior soon “transferred to the other coaches.” Jevon Tyree, a redshirt freshman on scholarship, said that after the frightening incident, his standing on the team plummeted, along with practice repetitions and any shot at playing time. He said there were team meetings from which he was excluded.

------
Mark Tyree said Hermann has stiff-armed him by refusing to grant him a meeting. Hermann, who was hired after former athletic director Tim Pernetti was forced to resign for protecting Rice, was accused by her former players of being a bully while coaching women’s volleyball at the University of Tennessee. A statement signed by 15 players on her 1996 team accused Hermann of “mental cruelty.”

Despite numerous phone calls and an unannounced visit to her office on Thursday, Mark Tyree said he has been unable to get a meeting with Hermann. He said he is considering going to the NCAA, the governing body of collegiate sports, to investigate the matter.

another transfer to go along with the decommits...

sounds like a coverup. Yikes

Last edited:
Wasnt he Davids cousin or nephew?

There was some minimal mutual interest between Cuse and him

she has ghosts too...she is doing exactly what she was hired to do.

time for christie to really clean house

wow. maybe this is a reason for all the quitting and transfers. i mean when a kid whos starting on the football team, has never played baseball before and quits the team to go play baseball at another school, something might be up.

let the buttgers spinning begin.

Rutgers football player claims defensive coordinator Dave Cohen bullied and verbally abused him

Seven months after men’s basketball coach Mike Rice was fired for bullying his players -- leading to a national scandal, a housecleaning in the athletic department and public proclamations from school officials to halt any abuse of its student-athletes -- Rutgers is protecting another bullying coach, according to a former football player and his parents.

Defensive back Jevon Tyree and his parents, Mark and Clarice, have sought disciplinary action against defensive coordinator Dave Cohen, who during a spring study hall session, got in Tyree’s face, called him a “ ” and a “bitch” and threatened to head-butt him, the Tyrees told NJ.com.

The incident – which Jevon Tyree said occurred in April -- happened in front of approximately 10 teammates and a tutor, Jevon Tyree said, and it led to the 19-year-old’s escalating ostracization, eventually driving him to quit.

Clarice Tyree called it “an outright bullying episode,” and Mark Tyree said the behavior soon “transferred to the other coaches.” Jevon Tyree, a redshirt freshman on scholarship, said that after the frightening incident, his standing on the team plummeted, along with practice repetitions and any shot at playing time. He said there were team meetings from which he was excluded.

------
Mark Tyree said Hermann has stiff-armed him by refusing to grant him a meeting. Hermann, who was hired after former athletic director Tim Pernetti was forced to resign for protecting Rice, was accused by her former players of being a bully while coaching women’s volleyball at the University of Tennessee. A statement signed by 15 players on her 1996 team accused Hermann of “mental cruelty.”

Despite numerous phone calls and an unannounced visit to her office on Thursday, Mark Tyree said he has been unable to get a meeting with Hermann. He said he is considering going to the NCAA, the governing body of collegiate sports, to investigate the matter.

This will likely be deemed politically correct, assholic and jerk-like, but recalling how post Sandusky, there was a heightened alert on other cases that MAY have merit a la Bernie Fine, concern is there will be an outbreak of bullying charges.

Bullying is unacceptable, period. But as we endured not too long ago, we need to remember that these are accusations and allegations, not fact upon being published.

Last edited:
Let me re-post a part of a post, I made back in June.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/good-comparison-of-recruiting-classes-to-date.53631/#post-672372

I'm not surprised by this at all. That A-Hole has been in my parent's living room.

I'd say your assessment was spot on. It's one thing to yell at your players and call them out on mistakes to teach them, but you can't just beat them down. With every criticism comes an attaboy. Some guys are just d-bags and don't really get what it means to be a coach. Being a mentor and role model is part of the job.

Even as an adult -- one who is older than I care to admit -- I run into bullies from time to time: individuals who feel they will get what they want through intimidation and aggressive confrontations. In general, I found these people to be lacking in intelligence with the perceived need to over compensate for their deficiencies.

images

‏@StevePoliti
Rutgers' statement: Cohen apologized immediately, there was no threat of physical violence and Tyree's parents did speak with Hermann.

Rutgers digging in.

Even as an adult -- one who is older than I care to admit -- I run into bullies from time to time: individuals who feel they will get what they want through intimidation and aggressive confrontations. In general, I found these people to be lacking in intelligence with the perceived need to over compensate for their deficiencies.

Are any of these people soccer coaches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully this is being pointed out to their commits, with an emphasis on the decade-long history of bad human beings coaching there.

Served cold, of course.

They've come a long way since the forced naked runs around campus.

You mean they have small penises, right?

Jevon Tyree's father calls Rutgers' statement on alleged bullying 'insane'

Tyree’s parents objected to many of the points outlined in the statement. The statement indicated that Tyree’s father, Mark, spoke with athletic director Julie Hermann twice in relation to the family’s concern about the treatment of Jevon by defensive coordinator Dave Cohen.

The statement said the first conversation between Mark Tyree and Hermann took place six months after Cohen had an altercation with Jevon Tyree during a study hall session.

“I never talked to her. That is insane,” Mark Tyree said. "My mother has passed and I would put my hand on a stack of Bibles in her goodness. That’s ridiculous that she would even say that. That’s scary.”

Last edited:
Jevon Tyree's father calls Rutgers' statement on alleged bullying 'insane'

Tyree’s parents objected to many of the points outlined in the statement. The statement indicated that Tyree’s father, Mark, spoke with athletic director Julie Hermann twice in relation to the family’s concern about the treatment of Jevon by defensive coordinator Dave Cohen.

The statement said the first conversation between Mark Tyree and Hermann took place six months after Cohen had an altercation with Jevon Tyree during a study hall session.

“I never talked to her. That is insane,” Mark Tyree said. "My mother has passed and I would put my hand on a stack of Bibles in her goodness. That’s ridiculous that she would even say that. That’s scary.”
Looks like the the Spin Machine is working overtime in New Brunswick and the F.A.M.I.L.Y. is in full damage control!