OT: Shotputter breaks 31 year old record by eight inches | Syracusefan.com

OT: Shotputter breaks 31 year old record by eight inches

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
I'm not a real Olympics geek, especially with this years being held half way around the world which basically means a lot of tape delay but that's another subject for another day. But the Olympics always tell a great story of the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. So yesterday, Ryan Crouser had his 15 minutes of fame for something he has worked hard his entire life for. In the Olympic trials he threw the 16 lb shotput over 76 feet obliterating the old record. Thats like throwing a bowling ball which is crazy. Great job Ryan and hope you bring home the gold.

I'm not a real Olympics geek, especially with this years being held half way around the world which basically means a lot of tape delay but that's another subject for another day. But the Olympics always tell a great story of the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. So yesterday, Ryan Crouser had his 15 minutes of fame for something he has worked hard his entire life for. In the Olympic trials he threw the 16 lb shotput over 76 feet obliterating the old record. Thats like throwing a bowling ball which is crazy. Great job Ryan and hope you bring home the gold.

Beating a long-standing record is always impressive.

Obliterating a long-standing record is remarkable.

Beating a long-standing record is always impressive.

Obliterating a long-standing record is remarkable.
Exactly. This guy is the defending 2016 gold medalist but even the geekiest of Olympic geeks might not know that. I agree when you think about how far can you shot put a bowling ball. But then again every Olympic athlete is impressive, even Eddie the Eagle.

Amazing.

I know the IOC runs neck-and-neck with FIFA as the most disgustingly corrupt organization in sports. But man do I love the Olympics. I can't wait for them to start next month.

Amazing.

I know the IOC runs neck-and-neck with FIFA as the most disgustingly corrupt organization in sports. But man do I love the Olympics. I can't wait for them to start next month.
That would be a good thread topic. Rank the most corrupt sports organizations. You couldn't leave out the Tour de France people who are always good for a scandal to get their names in the paper every generation or the Bud Selig led MLB steroid scandal where he and the other owners were lining their pockets with gold while they couldn't close their eyes fast enough. And let's not even bring up the NCAA. Oye!!!

Olympics geek over here!
I've been watching ever bit of the trials I can get my hands on and this is an impressive one.

Hulk smash record!
I'm not a geek but every once in a while there will be a random event that catches my eye like badmitton or whitewater kayaking where the participants are phenomenal.

I'm not a geek but every once in a while there will be a random event that catches my eye like badmitton or whitewater kayaking where the participants are phenomenal.
Whitewater kayaking is a great watch, agree! I never got into diving and on the winter side, curling never did it for me.

Any event that involves a race is fair game to me. Every single track and field event is enjoyable.

I've always been an Olympic track and field geek. When I was at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, the Chinese state television channel showed only the events that China was good in. When in the hotel, we saw a lot of badminton, diving, trampoline, table tennis, judo, shooting and weight-lifting ,,,, , but very little track and field and no basketball.

Last edited:
Badminton is a fun game. Played it in gym class in high school. Amazing how good these athletes are.

I've always been an Olympic track and field geek. When I was at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, the Chinese state television channel showed only the events that China was good in. When in the hotel, we saw a lot of badminton, diving, trampoline, table tennis, judo, shooting and weight-lifting ,,,, , but very little track and field and no basketball.

In fairness, our media does the same thing which is why we see very little of those sports you mentioned.

Reactions: cto
I have been watching the trials, paying particular attention to those events with former Orange athletes. My son lives about 5 min from the stadium. Didn't get tickets for any of those events but has reserved a space (with my Grandson) in a "pod" to watch the race-walking competition this weekend.